University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to throw this out there.....

...anyone think the UofA will have another capital campaign in the next few years? The last one was so successful, I can't imagine not giving it another shot once donors forget about all the requests they've had recently. The UofA should be endowed with close to a billion dollars now, which is really encouraging to me. Another billion or so, and we are starting to talk about real money!

Seriously though, money is what it takes to provide a first-rate college education. I'm not sure, but even a place like Vanderbilt is only endowed with a billion dollars. I know it is a long way off, but with all the big money donors in Arkansas I see no reason the UofA couldn't turn into a nationally respected institution along the lines of Virginia or Michigan.

A lot of places are endowed with a billion dollars.

Grinnell college, a liberal arts college in Iowa with only about 300-400 people per year (1600 total), has an endowment of just over 1 billion.

Harvard has around 22 billion.

I think Yale has around 10-15 billion.

But it's still very good for a state school. The school's I listed are exceptions.

A lot of places are endowed with a billion dollars.

Grinnell college, a liberal arts college in Iowa with only about 300-400 people per year (1600 total), has an endowment of just over 1 billion.

Harvard has around 22 billion.

I think Yale has around 10-15 billion.

But it's still very good for a state school. The school's I listed are exceptions.

Yeah, there are around 20 with several billion dollar endowments if I remember correctly. But, many nationally competitive universities are hovering around the 1 billion mark.

Harvard actually has over 25 billion now.

Just to throw this out there.....

...anyone think the UofA will have another capital campaign in the next few years? The last one was so successful, I can't imagine not giving it another shot once donors forget about all the requests they've had recently. The UofA should be endowed with close to a billion dollars now, which is really encouraging to me. Another billion or so, and we are starting to talk about real money!

Seriously though, money is what it takes to provide a first-rate college education. I'm not sure, but even a place like Vanderbilt is only endowed with a billion dollars. I know it is a long way off, but with all the big money donors in Arkansas I see no reason the UofA couldn't turn into a nationally respected institution along the lines of Virginia or Michigan.

If I recall correctly it was the Walton Family Foundation that topped off their last capital campaign with a $300 Million donation with the disclaimer that the University had to match it within a few months. So, unless the Walton Family is feeling more generous anytime soon I can't see a new campaign being nearly as successful.

Yeah I'm not trying to get ahead of myself but I'm curious to see where the university will be going in the near future. In part to the success they had in the recent past with the money. But I also don't know if they would have as much success the second time around. I think they might have to wait a little while longer or be ready to accept they might not get so much the second time round.

• 1 month later...

Is it any surprise? Why else did they raise a billion dollars last year! It's about time they started spending it.

Razorback is a good place for them to expand. Of course with the way the campus is 'landlocked' I guess any bit of land near the campus they can get is good for them.

• 2 weeks later...

^Nice pics Mith

When I was driving around NWA yesterday up and down I-540 and around the UA/downtown area of Fayetteville, it struck me as interesting that there are so many construction cranes around. I don't think I've ever seen so many cranes up and around at one time in this area.

I *think* I saw: 1 in Bentonville (that large office building north of Walton Blvd, W of I-540), 3 in Rogers (Promenade, new hospital, and that new church), 2 at the UA (the two shown in these pics), 1 near Dickson St (Legacy building), and maybe there's one at the old Mtn Inn in downtown Fayetteville. I wonder if I missed any...

^Nice pics Mith

When I was driving around NWA yesterday up and down I-540 and around the UA/downtown area of Fayetteville, it struck me as interesting that there are so many construction cranes around. I don't think I've ever seen so many cranes up and around at one time in this area.

I *think* I saw: 1 in Bentonville (that large office building north of Walton Blvd, W of I-540), 3 in Rogers (Promenade, new hospital, and that new church), 2 at the UA (the two shown in these pics), 1 near Dickson St (Legacy building), and maybe there's one at the old Mtn Inn in downtown Fayetteville. I wonder if I missed any...

To be honest I've been a bit surprised there aren't more in Fayetteville. The Renaissance Tower has been in a holding pattern for a while. The Lofts at Underwood Plaza finally got approved, they might be putting in a crane soon themselves.

You nailed the one's in Benton County, that's about all of the big cranes that are being used for construction, "for now".

Any idea on what building that is Mith? It looks like it's going to be amazing once completed.

I'll have to look again. It's mentioned somewhere earlier in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit off topic here. But this does have to do with the university. There had been 'rumors' that there had been two black students enrolled when the college first opened in 1872. But there wasn't any proof. One of the professors has been researching it and has identified that there was at least one black student. He found some newspaper articles mentioning that the Arkansas Industrial University had one black student, a James McGahee. Apparently the U of A has been recently promoting itself as the first major southern college to admit black students without litigation. Now they have the facts to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...

The University is spending a lot of money on building stuff right now. I see they're also redoing the band building, the law building is really coming along, and they've done a lot of work on the two new buildings. The track is impressive, I think... they went from basically nothing there, to this new 10,000 seat stadium. I don't think they've started anything on that new housing complex, have they?

The University is spending a lot of money on building stuff right now. I see they're also redoing the band building, the law building is really coming along, and they've done a lot of work on the two new buildings. The track is impressive, I think... they went from basically nothing there, to this new 10,000 seat stadium. I don't think they've started anything on that new housing complex, have they?

I don't think they've started on that. But I admit I didn't have time to check out the whole campus. I think universities tend to have a lot of construction going on. Maybe not quite this much but since they raised all that money recently I guess they might as well start spending it.

Archived