University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This must be the new Walton College of Business.

Looks quite nice.

Some of those last groups of pics almost makes it looks like the whole thing is the same building but it's not. Only the left part in that last pic will be a part of the Walton College of Business I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't know how reliable this source is. But I've been watching some of the Fayetteville City Council meetings on tv and according to Paula, sorry I don't remember her last name, but she does that show on CAT about preserving the history of Fayetteville show. Anyway she claims the university is buying lots of houses near the campus and is slowly going to tear them down so that people won't notice what's happening and destroy some of the nearby neighborhoods. She didn't specify but I'm assuming she means to the east and southeast of the campus. But as I said I really don't know how reliable her info is. She seems to be the type who thinks everything in Fayetteville is being destroyed and everyone is ruining the city.

Well I don't know how reliable this source is. But I've been watching some of the Fayetteville City Council meetings on tv and according to Paula, sorry I don't remember her last name, but she does that show on CAT about preserving the history of Fayetteville show. Anyway she claims the university is buying lots of houses near the campus and is slowly going to tear them down so that people won't notice what's happening and destroy some of the nearby neighborhoods. She didn't specify but I'm assuming she means to the east and southeast of the campus. But as I said I really don't know how reliable her info is. She seems to be the type who thinks everything in Fayetteville is being destroyed and everyone is ruining the city.

Her name is Paula Marinoni. She has been saying this for at least five years. While she may be right to some extent, she also seems a few cards short of a full deck.

Her name is Paula Marinoni. She has been saying this for at least five years. While she may be right to some extent, she also seems a few cards short of a full deck.

Yeah I've certainly gotten that impression of her. While I do appreciate her trying to save some of the historical buildings in Fayetteville she strikes me as someone who wants everything to stay exactly the same as it is right now.

Yeah I've certainly gotten that impression of her. While I do appreciate her trying to save some of the historical buildings in Fayetteville she strikes me as someone who wants everything to stay exactly the same as it is right now.

She has been doing this for years. Everytime the university or city tries to tear down some junk house or building she thinks it is her business to try and save it. I would have to guess that less than 5% of these could be saved or are even are worth being saved. The university has been in a rapid growth mode for the past 3 or 4 years. We have alot of rentals in the area and they are always trying to buy them.

She has been doing this for years. Everytime the university or city tries to tear down some junk house or building she thinks it is her business to try and save it. I would have to guess that less than 5% of these could be saved or are even are worth being saved. The university has been in a rapid growth mode for the past 3 or 4 years. We have alot of rentals in the area and they are always trying to buy them.

Yeah I saw her show the other week. That was quite a plea for understanding. I'm guessing her yearning for respect clouds her reasoning.

So she is the one selling that big farm on the corner of I-540 and Wedington. It's a beautiful farm, makes me wonder why she would sell the thing. Could it be to make money? Or is it way over-priced so no one will buy? Hmmm...capitalism seems to rear its ugly head somehow, Paula.

Yeah I saw her show the other week. That was quite a plea for understanding. I'm guessing her yearning for respect clouds her reasoning.

So she is the one selling that big farm on the corner of I-540 and Wedington. It's a beautiful farm, makes me wonder why she would sell the thing. Could it be to make money? Or is it way over-priced so no one will buy? Hmmm...capitalism seems to rear its ugly head somehow, Paula.

Yeah, you don't even want to know what that is listed at. Lets just say 300K per acre and there are over 80 acres!!!!

Check this out! This beats taking pictures of the Maple Hill Dorms construction area. Nice little site webcam pointing down on it from Hotz.

Maple Hill Dorms Construction Site Webcam

It is convenient, although I still like to go out and take pics. But I just never seem to make it over to that area. It's a bit out of the way from the areas I'm usually at.

This must be the new Walton College of Business.

Looks quite nice.

Just the one on the left in this photos is ours--it's called Walker Hall. BTW, it's not a new WCOB. It's one of our buildings--this one will house the graduate school of business. Those of us who work with undergrads will still be in the same building we are in now.

• 4 weeks later...

The U of A is slowly building up it's endowment. Basically a savings account for the university to use. They've passed the $750 Mil mark and are trying to hit $1 Bil by 2010. The U of A currently sits in third for the SEC behind Vanderbilt and Florida.

Are you sure that they are not at a billion yet? I remember playing in the wind symphony last year for the celebration of hitting their goals, and all the signs said, "thanks a Billion". And I'm pretty sure that they said we had achieved the billion dollar endowment by that point. I believe the JB Hunt Family gave the last 5 million or so to put us over the top. Those celebrations werre probably in October of '05.

The U of A is slowly building up it's endowment. Basically a savings account for the university to use. They've passed the $750 Mil mark and are trying to hit $1 Bil by 2010. The U of A currently sits in third for the SEC behind Vanderbilt and Florida.

I would like someone to explain why the UA is trimming their budget due to lower than expected enrollment, yet they have that much money in their "savings account". People can draw from savings account. Why doesn't UA do that?

I would like someone to explain why the UA is trimming their budget due to lower than expected enrollment, yet they have that much money in their "savings account". People can draw from savings account. Why doesn't UA do that?

Is enrollment lower than expected? But yes it does make you wonder about all of this. Just like they didn't have enough money to keep the museum going.

Is enrollment lower than expected? But yes it does make you wonder about all of this. Just like they didn't have enough money to keep the museum going.

Grrrr! They couldn't keep the museum open because the UofA is all about business degrees and Razorbacks. Who needs science when you're studying to become a suit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was going to post the website address for the Maple Hill dorms webcam again so that the fast progress could be seen. However I found a site for all the UA project webcams. Here is it: U of A Construction Project Webcams

I'm disappointed Maple Hill will be four floors, but I guess it will match the others and dorms don't usually go higher any more. The rendering on the above link is also very good, so it may not be that bad.

Well, I was going to post the website address for the Maple Hill dorms webcam again so that the fast progress could be seen. However I found a site for all the UA project webcams. Here is it: U of A Construction Project Webcams

I'm disappointed Maple Hill will be four floors, but I guess it will match the others and dorms don't usually go higher any more. The rendering on the above link is also very good, so it may not be that bad.

Nice link, thanks for posting it. For those of you too lazy to look through it. :D

mapleHill.jpg

I don't know where exactly on campus this will be located but it looks like the U of A will house the SEC Academic Consortium's central office. The way it was describe is that this will help make it an SEC center just like Birmingham Alabama is for the athletic side of the SEC. Sounds like a pretty nice thing for the university. I'm a little surprised we were picked seeing as how we are so far away from the other SEC schools.

Archived