University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Yeah sounds like they won't to spend the money to built a really great facility. Sounds like they'll building something somewhere on the outskirts of the campus. Not sure what they'll do with the current building. Maybe keep some of the facilities there and move everything else in the new building.

I don't like the tone of the article about wanting new and better facilities, but not wanting to pay to build nice ones. According to the article, they're going to be making it a fee on their students anyway, so they might as well build something they can be proud of, not something that will be adequate. (Anyone seen Mizzou's Rec Center? It was built not long ago. http://www.mizzourec.com/ ) At any rate, I have no idea where they'll build something like that. Edge of campus or not, that existing building is massive. I don't know where they can fit something that big or larger.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the tone of the article about wanting new and better facilities, but not wanting to pay to build nice ones. According to the article, they're going to be making it a fee on their students anyway, so they might as well build something they can be proud of, not something that will be adequate. (Anyone seen Mizzou's Rec Center? It was built not long ago. http://www.mizzourec.com/ ) At any rate, I have no idea where they'll build something like that. Edge of campus or not, that existing building is massive. I don't know where they can fit something that big or larger.

[/quote

If the UofA buys it, the north side of the FHS campus would be a nice spot that is not too far away.

Article from the Traveler:

http://media.www.thetraveleronline.com/med...g-3199527.shtml

Nice little Letter to the Editor by an Assistant Professor:

http://media.www.thetraveleronline.com/med...r-3215359.shtml

Opinon on the Traveler:

http://media.www.thetraveleronline.com/med...e-3199599.shtml

So yeah, we pay for something we cannot use... I want a better facility because I can allways get a membership later if I still live near the UofA but still. I am for expanding the current site. And there has been no mention about who uses the site more, on-campus, off-campus, faculty...

I will have more to rant about this later

• 2 months later...

New Campus Recreation Facility

InboxX

Justin:

Thank you for your interest in a new campus recreation facility. At the present time, the facility process has been postponed until next school year. Going into March, we were making plans for a student referendum vote on April 7

• 4 weeks later...

Not really development news, but it does deal with the U of A. Apparently they've having problems with their growth. They've been trying to increase enrollment for a while. It's been working but I was thinking it hasn't been quite as fast as they had originally planned. Guess it doesn't matter because they've having a hard time getting enough people to teach the classes to keep up with the growing enrollment. Sounds like the main problem is in the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences. I haven't seen any projected enrollment for the fall semester. But I'm curious now where that will be at later this year.

Not really development news, but it does deal with the U of A. Apparently they've having problems with their growth. They've been trying to increase enrollment for a while. It's been working but I was thinking it hasn't been quite as fast as they had originally planned. Guess it doesn't matter because they've having a hard time getting enough people to teach the classes to keep up with the growing enrollment. Sounds like the main problem is in the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences. I haven't seen any projected enrollment for the fall semester. But I'm curious now where that will be at later this year.

It seems to me that while they aren't growing as fast as they would like, they are still doing things the right was as far as infrastructure. Several new dorms have been built (the Maple Hill complex was finished last year and another phase of it is under construction right now), and older dorms are being renovated or torn down (Reid was renovated last year and Walton is on the slate to be torn down and replaced).

Also, new classrooms are being added, such as the new Walker business building and the JB Hunt Center for Academic excellence. As all of these things come into place I think it will be easier for the school to grow and attract new students. I can't imagine any college senior walking through Maple Hill and not being impressed.

It seems to me that while they aren't growing as fast as they would like, they are still doing things the right was as far as infrastructure. Several new dorms have been built (the Maple Hill complex was finished last year and another phase of it is under construction right now), and older dorms are being renovated or torn down (Reid was renovated last year and Walton is on the slate to be torn down and replaced).

Also, new classrooms are being added, such as the new Walker business building and the JB Hunt Center for Academic excellence. As all of these things come into place I think it will be easier for the school to grow and attract new students. I can't imagine any college senior walking through Maple Hill and not being impressed.

True, I guess I just found it ironic that they had such high increases projected early on, and even though they haven't really matched those projections they're already having problems keeping up. But yeah it's probably better to grow this way. I just think some of those early projections were a bit unrealistic.

It is ridiculous how inflexible my schedule of classes has become.

I am now a senior (as of about a week ago) majoring in Communications.

There are four required COMM courses that ALL COMM students must complete. Three of the four are offered ONCE each semester and the class size is around 35. I'm scared to death I won't be able to graduate on time next Spring because I have yet to take one of the classes and seats will inevitably be scarce. :angry:

There are four required COMM courses that ALL COMM students must complete. Three of the four are offered ONCE each semester and the class size is around 35. I'm scared to death I won't be able to graduate on time next Spring because I have yet to take one of the classes and seats will inevitably be scarce. :angry:

Sorry to hear that. But the good news is that you should get priority because you're a senior over most of the other students.

Even if you don't get priority, you should have met some of the instructors by now and shouldn't have many problems getting an override if just one of the classes become a problem...if two or three, well, you might get told to "plan your schedule better" which of course is almost impossible to do sometimes.

Just to clarify something regarding this whole "growth causing problems" thing...

The University was WELL aware that the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, which has been underfunded for, well, a very long time, was going to have serious staffing issues as student population grew, they just chose to ignore the facts and are now pretending to be surprised. What was known a long time back was that the tuition revenue that comes with X number of new students does not equal enough new budget dollars to create new staff positions to keep a steady student to faculty ratio. They know and knew this, but Fulbright tends not to bring in the big alumni dollars like the business or engineering colleges often do, so it should have been obvious that magical donations were not going to fall from the sky to fix the problem. Instead of acting at the time to keep steady budget increases to Fulbright (via what means I don't know, but I have a couple suggestions my superiors would not all like), they completely ignored the problem, letting Fulbright's yearly budget increases be vastly outpaced by the demand for new staff dollars. (I won't even get into the miserable condition of most of that college's student equipment and facilities when compared to other "flagship" state universities). Anyway, longer story short, they knew all along, but for press reasons, can't say they knew. Emergency style situations tend to work better at drumming up state funding and alumni donations, and that's what has been created (purposely or not I couldn't say).

As for infrastructure improvements, that's not all it seems either. First, Maple Hill is a bit of a joke, even amongst some Housing administrators. They did increase on campus housing slots, but at the same time created a pretty expensive dorm that has attracted the arrogant upper middle class high school graduates that either tend not to last in college, or (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, this is just what happens) go into business after dropping their first major and assuming they'll inherit their parents business someday. The building's condition for only one year of occupancy is not good. Rooms have been damaged severely, community rooms disrespectfully treated, and most of the staff that works with that building hates it due to the attitudes they're treated with by the students that seem drawn to our new expensive residence hall. Increasing the size of Maple Hill (Phase II should be done this summer) is only going to increase the number of that type of student we can hold, since the scholarship students are avoiding it like plague (and, by the numbers, many of them can't afford it either), and the lower income students simply don't have the money to live there. In the long run, it's a very, very bad plan to build all new suite style dorms that cost $6000 a year while demolishing (or severely inflating the rates) of the older more traditional $3000 a year dorms that have been a staple to the UofA being affordable. I've preached this to the people with the power to do something about it until I'm blue in the face, but a certain (very few) people behind these new projects do not like to think they're wrong. They assume that new facilities that are high tech and lavish are always good, regardless of the effect on student population dynamics and the hardship it places on the very students that the University used to try to lure to campus. (this does not apply to Walton Hall, it needs to be demolished for safety reasons. It is their fault that they let the problem get so out of control to begin with, but that's the past)

Another issue with infrastructure is planning. We have none. The Harmon deck was our parking solution WITH projected growth for the next decade or more, yet due to poor placement the new large dorms (Maple Hill, which by the way they did not increase dining facilities for, which were already at capacity, when building this new 800+ person residence hall) we don't have parking where it's needed, so we're pouring a few more million down the drain to build another deck. The lack of long-term vision with Housing and Parking's buildings is concerning to say the least, and I fully believe that they will face some huge hardships and a damaged reputation due to their blunders in the next decade. As for me, I don't plan to stick around long enough to deal with that mess.

Wizard, that's quite a mess you're describing. I had heard for a long time that Fulbright was strapped for funds for the very reason that you mentioned. You are also probably right about how the situation is being portrayed as an emergency by the administration in order to raise more funds. A better way of distributing available funds needs to be implemented.

I wondered about the housing situation also. I know a freshman that wanted to stay in Maple Hill until she found out it was twice what some of the other dorms were. I know they did studies that indicated what type of housing was in demand but it sounds like they may be pricing some prospective studements out of coming to the UA. A short sighted approach if you ask me.

If I remember right the parking deck for the northside of campus has been planned for a long time. Why they went with the Harmon Ave. deck first I don't know. Probably has something to do with the new business buildings close by.

Not to take away from this discussion of the funding needs but I do think this illustrates why the University buying the Fayetteville High School site for $59 million is such a bad idea. That money is needed right now in so many ways on the current campus and that purchase would tie up funds for years and cause tuition increases that would further put financial burdens on future students.

Just to clarify something regarding this whole "growth causing problems" thing...

The University was WELL aware that the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, which has been underfunded for, well, a very long time, was going to have serious staffing issues as student population grew, they just chose to ignore the facts and are now pretending to be surprised. What was known a long time back was that the tuition revenue that comes with X number of new students does not equal enough new budget dollars to create new staff positions to keep a steady student to faculty ratio. They know and knew this, but Fulbright tends not to bring in the big alumni dollars like the business or engineering colleges often do, so it should have been obvious that magical donations were not going to fall from the sky to fix the problem. Instead of acting at the time to keep steady budget increases to Fulbright (via what means I don't know, but I have a couple suggestions my superiors would not all like), they completely ignored the problem, letting Fulbright's yearly budget increases be vastly outpaced by the demand for new staff dollars. (I won't even get into the miserable condition of most of that college's student equipment and facilities when compared to other "flagship" state universities). Anyway, longer story short, they knew all along, but for press reasons, can't say they knew. Emergency style situations tend to work better at drumming up state funding and alumni donations, and that's what has been created (purposely or not I couldn't say).

As for infrastructure improvements, that's not all it seems either. First, Maple Hill is a bit of a joke, even amongst some Housing administrators. They did increase on campus housing slots, but at the same time created a pretty expensive dorm that has attracted the arrogant upper middle class high school graduates that either tend not to last in college, or (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, this is just what happens) go into business after dropping their first major and assuming they'll inherit their parents business someday. The building's condition for only one year of occupancy is not good. Rooms have been damaged severely, community rooms disrespectfully treated, and most of the staff that works with that building hates it due to the attitudes they're treated with by the students that seem drawn to our new expensive residence hall. Increasing the size of Maple Hill (Phase II should be done this summer) is only going to increase the number of that type of student we can hold, since the scholarship students are avoiding it like plague (and, by the numbers, many of them can't afford it either), and the lower income students simply don't have the money to live there. In the long run, it's a very, very bad plan to build all new suite style dorms that cost $6000 a year while demolishing (or severely inflating the rates) of the older more traditional $3000 a year dorms that have been a staple to the UofA being affordable. I've preached this to the people with the power to do something about it until I'm blue in the face, but a certain (very few) people behind these new projects do not like to think they're wrong. They assume that new facilities that are high tech and lavish are always good, regardless of the effect on student population dynamics and the hardship it places on the very students that the University used to try to lure to campus. (this does not apply to Walton Hall, it needs to be demolished for safety reasons. It is their fault that they let the problem get so out of control to begin with, but that's the past)

Another issue with infrastructure is planning. We have none. The Harmon deck was our parking solution WITH projected growth for the next decade or more, yet due to poor placement the new large dorms (Maple Hill, which by the way they did not increase dining facilities for, which were already at capacity, when building this new 800+ person residence hall) we don't have parking where it's needed, so we're pouring a few more million down the drain to build another deck. The lack of long-term vision with Housing and Parking's buildings is concerning to say the least, and I fully believe that they will face some huge hardships and a damaged reputation due to their blunders in the next decade. As for me, I don't plan to stick around long enough to deal with that mess.

So, you are telling me you put abunch of college students in a dorm and it got torn up compared to when it was brand spankin' new? Color me shocked. You are telling me that college students tend to slack and drink too much? I'm dumbfounded.

Beyond that piece of sarcasm, it sounds like you resent the business school a bit, and I can't say I blame you in that regard. But to try to paint the business school as some kind of "back-up" degree for when other kids drop a major is laughable. The Walton College is the flagship of that university, and the UofA would be MUCH worse without it. I promise you kids aren't flocking to economics, finance, and logistics in search of easy classes and running from the horrors of English, History, and Political Science.

Yeah I have gotten the impression that the Fulbright College is basically the 'workhorse' of the university in a lot of ways, but like was mentioned doesn't bring in the prestige like some of the other programs.

I admit I haven't looked much into the Maple Hill dorms. But I've gotten the impression they're basically just emulating what larger universities have been doing. For a long time I think the U of A was attractive because it was relatively cheap. Some of the out of state students mentioned it was actually cheaper for them to go there rather than the larger universities in their own state when I was at the university. But I do think the U of A has changed direction a bit since I was there. On paper I think I agree with what they're trying to do. But I can see from a student's perspective it can be rather frustrating.

The Fullbright College is underfunded and its buildings need updating badly. I agree with this.

A business degree, however, isn't some kind of fall-back plan. The mathematics and statistics pre-requisites to business degrees are MUCH more demanding than the curriculum for some of the fine arts degrees.

I'm sure this was all posted out of frustration with a difficult situation facing the Fullbright College, especially when those faculty have to look across Dickson and see the embarrassment of riches at the Walton College.

I'd like to see new fine arts facilities for one, and an equitable funding/salary formula for the Fullbright College.

As for Maple Hill dorms attracting a certain "undesireable" kind of student, I disagree. While lower income students should have options, middle to upper middle income students aren't some plague. In fact, I dispute whether their drop-out rates are any higher than students of other income brackets. The reverse may be true, as those students don't have to work for a living while attending classes.

I myself was a lower income student who worked through college. Still, you can't profess to love diversity and then put limits on what that includes. Rich kids are important, too. :)

The Fullbright College is underfunded and its buildings need updating badly. I agree with this.

A business degree, however, isn't some kind of fall-back plan. The mathematics and statistics pre-requisites to business degrees are MUCH more demanding than the curriculum for some of the fine arts degrees.

I'm sure this was all posted out of frustration with a difficult situation facing the Fullbright College, especially when those faculty have to look across Dickson and see the embarrassment of riches at the Walton College.

I'd like to see new fine arts facilities for one, and an equitable funding/salary formula for the Fullbright College.

As for Maple Hill dorms attracting a certain "undesireable" kind of student, I disagree. While lower income students should have options, middle to upper middle income students aren't some plague. In fact, I dispute whether their drop-out rates are any higher than students of other income brackets. The reverse may be true, as those students don't have to work for a living while attending classes.

I myself was a lower income student who worked through college. Still, you can't profess to love diversity and then put limits on what that includes. Rich kids are important, too. :)

Amen, Coco, on all of your points. I would also add that one of the big problems Fulbright has is their alums don't contribute. We raise more private money in the Walton College than probably any other college. We don't just get more given to us by the state--our development efforts are intense and our graduates give back. Also, we need different types of housing--cheap and expensive--both. I, like Coco, lived in the cheapie dorms when I went to school. I have a daughter who is leaving FHS a year early to go to the U of A--she wants a nice dorm. She won't tear things up, I can assure you!

I evidently need to clarify my own points, haha. I wrote a very long post and as can happen, my meanings were a bit misunderstood by some.

First- Maple Hill. I'm not saying that upper middle class students are an undesirable group. I am saying that the group that has been attracted to that building is setting some records for arrests, complaints, and damage costs to a building. That they are all of a similar socio-economic class is what I pointed out, but that is hardly meant to imply that all well-off kids are that way. The damage done to many of the rooms was surprising, regardless of your unnecessary sarcasm, CA. We know what the NW Quad was like after it's first year, and this was worse, so evidently incorrect assumptions were made, which is creating a maintenance and housekeeping backlog. I'm also not against more wealthy students coming to the University or living on their campus, that's wonderful. My annoyance at Maple Hill does deal with the socio-economic rift that has been created, and has been noticed by administrators already (and steps are trying to be taken to prevent it from intensifying), between the "Maple Hill Kids" and "everyone else". It also deals with the complete lack of plan for future housing needs by lower income students. If all we plan to build are pricey top-notch suite style dorms, those students will have no place to live on the University of Arkansas campus of the future, and I don't think that's right.

Second- Business degrees. This is where I always get in trouble because people are defensive by nature and I didn't elaborate on my position. By no means do I consider all business majors easy, nor do I think all business students have ended up there as fall backs. If I were going back and looking for an easy major, it probably wouldn't be business, as I'm sure there are some easier majors out there. The students using fall-back business majors tend to flock to "business" because they assume it'll automatically provide them with a comfortable lifestyle and an office with a nice desk. Most of the students I was talking about using business as a fall back don't know what business major they want or what they want to do with it until their advisors start forcing them to choose. I would imagine those students tend not to fair as well grade and graduation rate wise, but I don't have numbers on that.

ALSO, by absolutely no means do I resent the Walton College. They have an excellent college with excellent faculty and staff that is generally head and shoulders above other business schools within comparable universities. I often use the Walton College and their success, as well as efforts to ensure student success (internship programs, Reynolds Enterprise, state-of-the-art facilities, etc.) as a selling point for the University when we're trying to lure someone in. Any resentment that can be seen in my writing is not of the college, it's faculty, or it's generous alumni, but more of the way the University (and admittedly, I fall into this bunch) administrators and representatives use the Walton College and it's success to try to paint a picture that portrays the entire Univeristy in the same light, which judging by the financial difficulties, staffing issues, and inter-departmental administrative battles, is clearly not accurate.

ALSO, clarification. Fulbright is the college of Fine Arts and Sciences. My complaints about Fulbright's funding has nothing to do with Fine Arts, which is probably completely unfair of me. I don't necessarily view most fine arts majors in the most positive light, and as a result, often forget about them. I'm sure they're in need of funding too. My concerns relate to the core classes that Fulbright is responsible for, such as the pure sciences (biologies, chemistries, physics, etc) and the pre-professional programs (pre-med, pre-dental, etc.) within the college that directly suffer when the college is in financial strain. When Fulbright suffers, the students, ALL of them, suffer. This, in my mind, is what makes Fulbright important. As every single student on campus will have core courses that require a number of credit hours through Fulbright college, it seems to me that the University would want to make sure these classes we consider to be the very cornerstone of a college education are well-staffed. I do not work for Fulbright, or any single college within the University umbrella, so any favoritism I'm showing Fulbright in my rantings is solely based off my feelings that it is the most vital college to University functionality due to a number of the core courses for any major being under its supervision, and the lack of interest that is typically shown in fixing the problem. I do agree that the Fulbright alumni are generally do not donate as well as alumni, and I wonder if it has to do with the problems with Fulbright going far enough back to have created resentment within its own alumni. If I had the funding or time, I'd do a little survey.

My frustrations deal with a very, very, few administrators at the UofA and are in no way the fault of any college, professor, mid-level administrator, or student at the University. As Mith said, and I fully agree, the plan for the future does look pretty good on paper, and sounds amazing in press conferences and newspaper articles, but there's a disconnect between our paper plan, our words, and the departments. If I were consulting on the entire University's future plans, I'd tell them to appoint a more hands-on group of administrators with power over all departments to plan for the future, and give them a checklist that makes sure we meet our paper-promises. The Board of Trustees theoretically wields a power similar to this, but many of that board are busy professionals that simply can't be effective in enforcing the things I'm describing.

I hope that cleared some of that up, if not, let me know and I'll send you a PM or post again if my meanings are severly enough misunderstood.

I think Mark hit the nail on the head re: alumni contribution.

Yes, Walton College did recieve an obscene amount of money from Wal-Mart. Well, even though they didn't go to UA, most of those Walton people either had business degrees, or the rough equivalent of real world experience before they made their Billions.

A lot of the general bachelor's degrees, like anthropology or history, for example, create citizens who are qualified to either A) teach (after some additional coursework) or B) enter the business world with a lot fewer practical skills than a typical business school graduate.

I went to business school myself. I went business after trying a few other majors. Business school did seem like practical knowledge at the time. I didn't have any real passion for studying business, but then again, I didn't have any real passion for studying anything at the time. There was absolutely NO business in my family. Educators and medical professionals only in my immediate family. Going for a biz degree made me a black sheep.

It has worked out well for me financially. From time to time when I have needed a secretary, there's always a geography or psychology major with a bachelor's degree who needs to build their resume. :)

I'd be interested to see the average alumni contribution rates to their respective college in the university. I'm positive the Walton College will be the highest.

Yeah I hadn't really thought of it like that but Mark makes a very good point. I can see some of the other colleges at the U of A getting more money from former alumni than say the Fulbright College. So that could play a factor in it as well. I guess I always saw it as more of a 'backbone' type of college that just isn't going to get as noticed as much as other colleges on campus. But it certainly does have it's own purpose and in this case needs to be looked after a little more so that this doesn't potentially become an even bigger problem.

Okay, a couple things here.

I was a Transportation & Logistics major when I came in as a freshman at the UofA. I completed 3 semesters and decided I didn't want to go the business route. I somewhat regret my decision because at the time I really wasn't applying myself and thought WCOB was a little too demanding. Of course, since then I've found out that with just a little more effort I could have done very well. I am still very fond of the business college. When I need to study, I go there because, IMO, it provides the best atmosphere and facilities.

The one complaint I would have about the WCOB is the sort of "uppity" air some (definitely not all) of the faculty and administrators put off. I know this is common in all colleges, but from my experience, it's to a much higher degree there. In speaking with some of my friends, however, it does seem that I caught a few bad breaks when it came to certain professors.

Now a member of the Fulbright College, I think the alumni donation problem breeds itself in a way. I can't say that if I am ever successful enough (knock on wood) to donate a large sum of money to the UofA that it would go to Fulbright. I think this is due to a general lack of respect for the college. The schedules are inflexible, the facilities are notorious for their boring and dreadful environments, and the organization of it all is chaotic at best. I believe my experience in the WCOB (minor in General Business) would lead me to donate there first, with annual generous donations to the Razorback Foundation of course. :)

As far as success for students graduating from each school, I do agree that the WCOB students are more successful top to bottom. However, it has not been difficult for me to find opportunities (good ones) by being in Fulbright. I have a few friends who received better jobs in the business sector with general bachlers degrees than some of my business student friends. I believe the effect of a college's prestige is overrated to a degree.

Okay, a couple things here.

I was a Transportation & Logistics major when I came in as a freshman at the UofA. I completed 3 semesters and decided I didn't want to go the business route. I somewhat regret my decision because at the time I really wasn't applying myself and thought WCOB was a little too demanding. Of course, since then I've found out that with just a little more effort I could have done very well. I am still very fond of the business college. When I need to study, I go there because, IMO, it provides the best atmosphere and facilities.

The one complaint I would have about the WCOB is the sort of "uppity" air some (definitely not all) of the faculty and administrators put off. I know this is common in all colleges, but from my experience, it's to a much higher degree there. In speaking with some of my friends, however, it does seem that I caught a few bad breaks when it came to certain professors.

Now a member of the Fulbright College, I think the alumni donation problem breeds itself in a way. I can't say that if I am ever successful enough (knock on wood) to donate a large sum of money to the UofA that it would go to Fulbright. I think this is due to a general lack of respect for the college. The schedules are inflexible, the facilities are notorious for their boring and dreadful environments, and the organization of it all is chaotic at best. I believe my experience in the WCOB (minor in General Business) would lead me to donate there first, with annual generous donations to the Razorback Foundation of course. :)

As far as success for students graduating from each school, I do agree that the WCOB students are more successful top to bottom. However, it has not been difficult for me to find opportunities (good ones) by being in Fulbright. I have a few friends who received better jobs in the business sector with general bachlers degrees than some of my business student friends. I believe the effect of a college's prestige is overrated to a degree.

I can agree with a lot of that. When I was in business school, the majority of the business majors themselves weren't blue collar, working menial jobs to pay for school. Just about every group project I was a part of (and there were MANY) I was about the only non-Greek person there.

I believe that, for better or for worse, the entire atmophere of the business school is much more focused. You are there for a reason, and the expectations are clear. The nature of the Fullbright College as having many, MANY undeclared majors, and many more "artsy" types in faculty lends itself to a more relaxed atmosphere in many areas.

The focus of the business school is the creation of wealth. It stands to reason that overall they would have more money after a while. :) Of course the Fullbright College probably has the most quasi-socialists, so it also stands to reason that they'd demand the redistribution of that wealth to all.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I heard about this yesterday but forgot to mention it. The university has started a bicycle sharing program. If we had more bike trails or a complete trail system in Fayetteville it would be great if we could do something in the rest of Fayetteville as well.

I heard about this yesterday but forgot to mention it. The university has started a bicycle sharing program. If we had more bike trails or a complete trail system in Fayetteville it would be great if we could do something in the rest of Fayetteville as well.

Yes, it's a nice program. It's called Razorbikes and it's their latest sustainability program. Regions bank helped sponsor the project, so we have a lot of bright green bicycles in the racks. I found it amusing, a bank that uses exclusively green logos sponsoring a "green" bike program. I would think with the University starting to ramp up these new programs like proposing more green roofs across campus (it's been mentioned as an option on the Mullins Library expansion) and rolling out the bike sharing program that the city would be looking into some cooperative programs to do with the university to enhance the city's green image as well.

Yes, it's a nice program. It's called Razorbikes and it's their latest sustainability program. Regions bank helped sponsor the project, so we have a lot of bright green bicycles in the racks. I found it amusing, a bank that uses exclusively green logos sponsoring a "green" bike program. I would think with the University starting to ramp up these new programs like proposing more green roofs across campus (it's been mentioned as an option on the Mullins Library expansion) and rolling out the bike sharing program that the city would be looking into some cooperative programs to do with the university to enhance the city's green image as well.

I hadn't heard all the details, thanks for the info.

Archived