University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Here's a couple of projects around campus that are moving right along. The first is Bogle Park, which is the new softball field being built where Carlson Terace apartments were across from Walton Arena. Looks like it should be ready for play this season. There's a large building just to the right that may be a practice facility- I'm not sure.

DSCN1069.jpg

This is the new home of Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority on Maple at the northeast corner of campus. It looks like a nice addition to the area and makes good use of a lmited space.

DSCN1065.jpg

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a couple of projects around campus that are moving right along. The first is Bogle Park, which is the new softball field being built where Carlson Terace apartments were across from Walton Arena. Looks like it should be ready for play this season. There's a large building just to the right that may be a practice facility- I'm not sure.

DSCN1069.jpg

This is the new home of Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority on Maple at the northeast corner of campus. It looks like a nice addition to the area and makes good use of a limited space.

DSCN1065.jpg

Thanks for the updates. I hadn't even been around the area of campus where Bogle Park is in quite a while. I'd been by Maple St a couple of weeks ago and it's come along pretty well just in the past two weeks it looks. That is one good thing about developments on campus, they go up rather quickly.

Bogle will be ready, they've already demolished the old field. As for the AOPi house, it will be done in December, and the sorority will move it's residents from their temporary location at the Phoenix House on Arkansas over to the new house for the spring semester. There have been rumblings about what to do with the Phoenix House or it's site, but I haven't heard anything solid yet. There should be some activity announced in the near future regarding the defunct (mold infested) Walton Hall next to the football Stadium and plans for Buchanan Droke and Gladson Ripley Halls, which will no longer be used for regular student housing. Mullins library projects are in the works, but as I previously mentioned, are probably a little ways off. I'm most excited about the library projects (what better representation of an educational institution than a library?), but I'll have to wait a few years to see anything come to fruition there.

• 3 weeks later...

Buck Droke is currently being used by Phi Gamma Delta while their hose is being remodeled. It sure needed it too. Not sure when that is scheduled to be completed though

What are the proposed changes to Mullins? I had heard that there were some changes planned but never was told what they were going to be. I really hope that they are some made to the west entrance. They need to completely redo that and all of the steps leading up to it. Barely in fair condition and really ugly.

Buck Droke is currently being used by Phi Gamma Delta while their hose is being remodeled. It sure needed it too. Not sure when that is scheduled to be completed though

What are the proposed changes to Mullins? I had heard that there were some changes planned but never was told what they were going to be. I really hope that they are some made to the west entrance. They need to completely redo that and all of the steps leading up to it. Barely in fair condition and really ugly.

I'm pretty sure the west entrance was one of thing things they plan to address. Like you said, it doesn't exactly leave a good impression.

Yes, they will be dorms of a sort. It's the first attempt by the University in years to build student apartments, and I think the complaints made about tearing down Carlson Terrace helped lead to the construction of these. Of course, they're much, much more expensive than the old Carlson Terrace was, and aren't going to fill the same niche at all, but that never seemed to come up.

There's some information abotu them here, http://housing.uark.edu/thehalls/dunc/ and a rendering from that site: dunc_square_big.jpg

I don't have a camera worth a flip, but these turned out really nice. Has anyone seen them? They are kinda neat design wise and they aren't yellow like these renderings, but earthtones.

I don't have a camera worth a flip, but these turned out really nice. Has anyone seen them? They are kinda neat design wise and they aren't yellow like these renderings, but earthtones.

Thanks for the rendering. Actually no I haven't been by the university lately to see how things have been looking. Guess I need to get out some weekend and take a look around and take some pics.

Here's a view from atop the Harmon Ave. parking deck. I didn't have time to get down to street level so never posted the pics. Very nice apartments but like trumpet said very expensive.

DSCN1078.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Does look interesting. Been quite a while since I've been over to the parking garage to take pics.

• 2 weeks later...

The UA Board of Trustees approved a $28 million nanotechnology center for the lot where KUAF is on Dickson Street. The UA has been a leader in nanotechology research and this will help it's efforts greatly. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like. Groundbreaking could take place next spring with completion in a year or so.

• 2 months later...

Thanks.

I was able to find some basic renderings of the new projects taking place on campus right now. Nothing real specific, but all of the new architecture looks really modern.

http://planning.uark.edu/campus_planning/c...ction_proj.html

Like you said they aren't specific but it looks like the are going to do some cosmetic stuff (that's a technical term) to the outside of the deck facing Garland. I couldn't tell but I hope it looks nice -- that is an attractive road coming into campus and it would be a shame to screw it up with an awful parking deck like Harmon.

Like you said they aren't specific but it looks like the are going to do some cosmetic stuff (that's a technical term) to the outside of the deck facing Garland. I couldn't tell but I hope it looks nice -- that is an attractive road coming into campus and it would be a shame to screw it up with an awful parking deck like Harmon.

I think Harmon looks fine, considering what many other decks look like. For it being so high, there really is only a limited amount of ways it can look. And the front of it looks great with the office space.

As far as the Garland deck. It should only be 3 floors above Garland so they have a wide range of options. They could have a screen similar to the Fay Library, or make it look like an actual building. Wouldn't it be great if they made it look like Ozark Hall or the old Chem building? I think they will make it look generic, though. We can only hope that they make it look, well, not like a 3 story parking garage.

Yeah not only is that the entrance mainly used by people to enter the campus it will also stand out because it's on the edge of the hill there and will be noticeable from quite a few places.

I've seen the preliminary renderings and they are impressive. They mask the structure's use from Garland and are adding retail shops on the ground level that face to Garland.

It is going to be a nice addition and use for that gravel lot.

Here's a rendering of the new KUAF Public Radio building that is planned just across Mountain from the Fayetteville Public Library. They are still raising money in order to renovate the structure there now. As any who has ever been to the present studio on campus knows it's clear that a new location is needed. They are now in a building that was originally built as a low income residence hall- it's quite a tight squeeze. That location is now planned for a nanotechnology building. Here also is a link to their On The Move! site that has more info and renderings.

KUAF On The Move!

DSCN1209.jpg

Here's a rendering of the new KUAF Public Radio building that is planned just across Mountain from the Fayetteville Public Library. They are still raising money in order to renovate the structure there now. As any who has ever been to the present studio on campus knows it's clear that a new location is needed. They are now in a building that was originally built as a low income residence hall- it's quite a tight squeeze. That location is now planned for a nanotechnology building. Here also is a link to their On The Move! site that has more info and renderings.

KUAF On The Move!

DSCN1209.jpg

Thanks for the update. It will be nice to see that building renovated,

Does anyone have any info on the NanoTech building. I have read about it some but I do not remember any details. Curious if it will be as unique as Bell Engineering or the old engineering hall is. I hope it is unique and well placed for that corner (such as most of that hill removed for a grand and huge building... We shall see and I am sure they will go with something simple that just sits on top of the ground.

Does anyone have any info on the NanoTech building. I have read about it some but I do not remember any details. Curious if it will be as unique as Bell Engineering or the old engineering hall is. I hope it is unique and well placed for that corner (such as most of that hill removed for a grand and huge building... We shall see and I am sure they will go with something simple that just sits on top of the ground.

Surely you aren't suggesting they replicate Bell. That building is an abomination.

UArk's planning page shows this:

nano.jpg

Surely you aren't suggesting they replicate Bell. That building is an abomination.

Bell is a very unique building, no one can deny that. The sidewalk on the North, East and South side is great. The center walkway is amazing and unique for the campus and I assume most buildings for the area. The viewing areas on the southeast corner is great as well. I can understand how the building is perceived as an abomination though. But to the question, I am not saying they replicate it, just that they make it unique like the other two. Bell fits very well into the hill even if you don't like the building overall. That is what I meant by the hill thing. I am most fond of building into the earth, it makes for more variety, and makes more sense economically.

Archived