University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great photos and a very attractive complex- I would have never dreamed of living in a place like that when I attended the UA. I kind of was concerned when those were first proposed- that stretch of Duncan was an established off campus student housing area but the end result is great. I do wonder what the rent is - I bet is is somewhat more than what it replaced.

I have a few friends who lived there this last year. They said that they loved living there. The entire things are fully furnished. Cable and all utilities are included. Total rent was either $550 or $575/mo, can't remember which. Kind o' pricey for my tastes, but they had full rides, so it was all payed for. Oh, also, if you choose to live there, you must purchase an on-campus meal plan. Can be any of the several that they offer, but you still have to pay for some meals, if you eat them or not.

I have a few friends who lived there this last year. They said that they loved living there. The entire things are fully furnished. Cable and all utilities are included. Total rent was either $550 or $575/mo, can't remember which. Kind o' pricey for my tastes, but they had full rides, so it was all payed for. Oh, also, if you choose to live there, you must purchase an on-campus meal plan. Can be any of the several that they offer, but you still have to pay for some meals, if you eat them or not.

Actually, Duncan is the only university-owned housing that you don't have to buy a meal plan for, though of course you can still buy any plan that you want to (including the "off campus" option that is just a set number of meals per semester). And yes, rent is $550/month if you are on a full-year contract. It's more expensive if you are on an academic-year contract ($575/month sounds about right), so it's not that much more to just get it for the whole year. That way you don't have to move out until you graduate.

They do look nice but, for the sake of our students, I hope the UofA does not build many more like this.

I spent a lot of time in Pomfret, HumpDump Yocum, Holcombe, and Gibson and lived in Gregson for 2.5 years and the Quads for a summer. Loved all of it and can enjoy the UofA having this wonderful mix of living accommodations; however, there is no reason that I can see for the UofA to build many more like this. It costs everyone so much more. Nice to have some but should be a small percentage. Just my thoughts I guess.

Still more pics. I must like these seeing as how many pics I took. If I was going to live on campus this would certainly be where I'd want to live.

One thing I love about Fayetteville is how easy it is to take a picture that looks like an aerial photo. Those look great Mith! I like the new student housing too.

They do look nice but, for the sake of our students, I hope the UofA does not build many more like this.

I spent a lot of time in Pomfret, HumpDump Yocum, Holcombe, and Gibson and lived in Gregson for 2.5 years and the Quads for a summer. Loved all of it and can enjoy the UofA having this wonderful mix of living accommodations; however, there is no reason that I can see for the UofA to build many more like this. It costs everyone so much more. Nice to have some but should be a small percentage. Just my thoughts I guess.

I wouldn't mind seeing more like this. But yet like you said there's a need for other housing as well.

One thing I love about Fayetteville is how easy it is to take a picture that looks like an aerial photo. Those look great Mith! I like the new student housing too.

Thanks. Yeah there's a number of hills in central and southern Fayetteville. But in this case it's a big parking garage. You can actually see it in the background in one of the shots. Although pictures from it might be short term. Looks like the university is putting up some serious railing. I don't know if they're worried about people falling off or what. They've already pretty much blocked off the entire top level. Looks like they may be working their way down. I'll be pretty disappointed if they do, it's a great place to get shots.

Thanks. Yeah there's a number of hills in central and southern Fayetteville. But in this case it's a big parking garage. You can actually see it in the background in one of the shots. Although pictures from it might be short term. Looks like the university is putting up some serious railing. I don't know if they're worried about people falling off or what. They've already pretty much blocked off the entire top level. Looks like they may be working their way down. I'll be pretty disappointed if they do, it's a great place to get shots.

That top level has been blocked off to cars every time I've been to the parking deck. I think there was a sign saying something about no admittance but I guess I didn't read it close because I wanted to take photos. :rolleyes: The things you have to do in order to get a good vantage point........

I drove down to campus yesterday after viewing those pics.

Dickson Street is all torn up from Duncan to the west. Anybody know what they are doing there? It looks like they are digging in the ROW next to the physics lab.

I heard something about it. I believe they are working on some pipes or some sort of infrastructure. I don't remember though how long it will be closed.

That top level has been blocked off to cars every time I've been to the parking deck. I think there was a sign saying something about no admittance but I guess I didn't read it close because I wanted to take photos. :rolleyes: The things you have to do in order to get a good vantage point........

Yeah I think this is the first time in a year and a half or so that they finally had it open so that I could go up. I just took the stairs up, but for a long time they had that blocked off as well. So far the tall 'fence' is mainly just on the top level. But they also had it up on parts of several other upper levels. Makes me think they're still slowly putting it up and will eventually have it up on a number of the levels. Not sure why they suddenly decided to do it. I never heard about anyone falling over. But I guess they got worried that someone might. I don't have a problem with them trying to prevent someone from falling over. But I just don't think they had to make the barrier so high. Looks like it goes up to about 6.5 feet.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like tuition will not rise at the Fayetteville campus this fall- the only UA campus that won't have a increase. There will be a $2 fee increase to help pay for facilty improvements. The tuition at the University is lower than most of the other SEC schools. This is all good news for the students and community, especially considering a year ago there was talk of a major tuition increase....

• 3 weeks later...

I've been forgetting to mention this. The U of A is setting up a historical district on campus. It would basically cover the area around Old Main between Arkansas Ave, Maple St and Garland Ave. It's not a huge announcement since many of the buildings are already on some sort of historical or protected status. Sounds like the biggest thing would affect is how the U of A renovates the exteriors of the building involved. If approved it wouldn't happen till this Fall and it would be the first historical district on a public college campus in the state.

I also saw a rendering for the Nanotechnology Bldg that will be on Dickson. It looks okay but I guess I had hoped for a building that stood out a bit more. Especially considering the what the building will be used for. But I guess it will probably help fit in with a number of other buildings on campus.

I've been forgetting to mention this. The U of A is setting up a historical district on campus. It would basically cover the area around Old Main between Arkansas Ave, Maple St and Garland Ave. It's not a huge announcement since many of the buildings are already on some sort of historical or protected status. Sounds like the biggest thing would affect is how the U of A renovates the exteriors of the building involved. If approved it wouldn't happen till this Fall and it would be the first historical district on a public college campus in the state.

I also saw a rendering for the Nanotechnology Bldg that will be on Dickson. It looks okay but I guess I had hoped for a building that stood out a bit more. Especially considering the what the building will be used for. But I guess it will probably help fit in with a number of other buildings on campus.

Soounds like a good use of a historical district designation. I think this will be same type of district that exists on Dickson Street today- a honorary type rather than a ordinance district. Wonder if the lawn in front of Old Main can be declared a protected area? That is one area that should be preserved for ever if possible.

I agree the Nano building isn't all that impressive in that rendering. Seems like it could have more efficient use of that lot and it's air space. There's plenty of parking across the street in the Harmon deck- it doesn't need as much surface parking as it looks like it has. As limited as available land is for development on the main part of campus it would be better make fullest use of each lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a link to the Garland Avenue parking garage construction webcam. It updates about every second or two.

WEBCAM

Thought I'd bump this link up. You can see one of the cranes up in the web cam. I haven't driven by the site in a while but I've seen a couple of cranes go up recently in that area.

Here's a couple of photos from the site. I walked all the way around the site trying to find a vantage point showing both cranes and the construction progress with no luck so here is the north crane and what has been built so far. The cranes are taller than I would have thought- they look like they would be for a 6 story building and the rendering portrays a much shorter structure- maybe 3 levels above Garland Ave. level at best.

DSCN1881.jpg

DSCN1877.jpg

Here's a couple of photos from the site. I walked all the way around the site trying to find a vantage point showing both cranes and the construction progress with no luck so here is the north crane and what has been built so far. The cranes are taller than I would have thought- they look like they would be for a 6 story building and the rendering portrays a much shorter structure- maybe 3 levels above Garland Ave. level at best.

If I remember correctly, the garage is supposed to be a total of five stories. Two of those below ground. I could be very wrong on this, however.

Seeing a crane make me happy though. It just makes me think of growth and progress. I can't wait to see this going on all next semester.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is development news but still thought it would be nice to post. This year's enrollment was just short of 20,000. A lot of universities are showing higher enrollment. No surprise with the current economy more people are electing to stay in or go to school. Hopefully the U of A will be able to keep the growth going.

091209fzuaenrollment.jpg

Archived