University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

This is development news but still thought it would be nice to post. This year's enrollment was just short of 20,000. A lot of universities are showing higher enrollment. No surprise with the current economy more people are electing to stay in or go to school. Hopefully the U of A will be able to keep the growth going.

091209fzuaenrollment.jpg

That's great news. It was interesting to read that the growth was at the graduate level and that the freshman level was actually down. I guess that is to be expected- the students at the graduate level may was well stay since the chances of a good job are lacking. I also read where UCA was down quite a bit this year and UALR actually has become the state's second largest university.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news. It was interesting to read that the growth was at the graduate level and that the freshman level was actually down. I guess that is to be expected- the students at the graduate level may was well stay since the chances of a good job are lacking. I also read where UCA was down quite a bit this year and UALR actually has become the state's second largest university.

Yeah and ASU moved up to third as well as UCA dropped to fourth. But as stated earlier with the current economy some of the growth is simply people staying in school. Hopefully the U of A will be able to keep growth going though. It's been a while but the U of A had a long term goal of reaching 20,000, or maybe it was 25,000. That was when the U of A seemed to consistently be around the 14,000 level.

Yeah and ASU moved up to third as well as UCA dropped to fourth. But as stated earlier with the current economy some of the growth is simply people staying in school. Hopefully the U of A will be able to keep growth going though. It's been a while but the U of A had a long term goal of reaching 20,000, or maybe it was 25,000. That was when the U of A seemed to consistently be around the 14,000 level.

I remember that goal and I think that it was something like 23,500 students by the year 2010. I don't think that they are going to quite make it but they could close in on 21,000 for sure by next year.

I remember that goal and I think that it was something like 23,500 students by the year 2010. I don't think that they are going to quite make it but they could close in on 21,000 for sure by next year.

Yeah I don't think it took too long for them to realize they were growing a bit too slowly to hit their goal. But still they are growing and showing improvement. Seemed like for a pretty long time they were stuck around 14,000.

Yeah I don't think it took too long for them to realize they were growing a bit too slowly to hit their goal. But still they are growing and showing improvement. Seemed like for a pretty long time they were stuck around 14,000.

I am glad they are growing slowly.

UCA really stressed its infrastructure with their booming growth the last ten years. Professors sharing offices, students crammed into overcrowded classes, etc. The UofA has been getting their infrastructure in line first, THEN growing.

Much better strategy.

I am glad they are growing slowly.

UCA really stressed its infrastructure with their booming growth the last ten years. Professors sharing offices, students crammed into overcrowded classes, etc. The UofA has been getting their infrastructure in line first, THEN growing.

Much better strategy.

True. When the U of A announced their plans for growth and listed the numbers I was a bit surprised they had tried to set themselves with that much growth that quickly.

• 1 month later...

25,000 by 2015 is the goal. I don't know how likely reaching it is, and there is quite a bit of concern about infrastructure- it is adequate for the current level with some growth, but not an additional 25%. There are some plans to try to get the ball rolling on new classroom space, but that's just once aspect that will need work.

25,000 by 2015 is the goal. I don't know how likely reaching it is, and there is quite a bit of concern about infrastructure- it is adequate for the current level with some growth, but not an additional 25%. There are some plans to try to get the ball rolling on new classroom space, but that's just once aspect that will need work.

Can you give us an idea on where they would add classroom space? It seems like there isn't a lot of vacant space to build new in the central part of campus. I keep thinking they will go more vertical in order to conserve surface space but that hasn't happened with the Nanotechnology Building or even the new parking deck.

Can you give us an idea on where they would add classroom space? It seems like there isn't a lot of vacant space to build new in the central part of campus. I keep thinking they will go more vertical in order to conserve surface space but that hasn't happened with the Nanotechnology Building or even the new parking deck.

Yeah I've also been a little surprised at the lack of building vertical. I can see them maybe trying to keep buildings down to keep them from making the campus seem large and 'imposing' or something. But I think you could go a little higher than some of the currently planned buildings without having to worry about that. Just adding a couple of stories to some of the current projects could have made a big difference. I'm really not sure what the university is planning on doing to become a larger campus. Unless they end up changing their mind and buying the Fayetteville High property after all. They're not going to get many other shots to add that much property to the campus. Seems to me they might have to eventually spread the campus out to another location somewhere else in the city. Just seems a waste when they could have made more attempts to make the newer buildings a little taller. They seem hesitant or something to build up to or higher than the dorms built back in the '60's.

Yeah I've also been a little surprised at the lack of building vertical. I can see them maybe trying to keep buildings down to keep them from making the campus seem large and 'imposing' or something. But I think you could go a little higher than some of the currently planned buildings without having to worry about that. Just adding a couple of stories to some of the current projects could have made a big difference. I'm really not sure what the university is planning on doing to become a larger campus. Unless they end up changing their mind and buying the Fayetteville High property after all. They're not going to get many other shots to add that much property to the campus. Seems to me they might have to eventually spread the campus out to another location somewhere else in the city. Just seems a waste when they could have made more attempts to make the newer buildings a little taller. They seem hesitant or something to build up to or higher than the dorms built back in the '60's.

The move to a "shorter" campus is deliberate. Its not so much trying to keep from being imposing, but to ensure that the campus as a whole feels unified. If there are a few huge buildings, attention will naturally be focussed there. I really don't think that you will ever see anything taller than Old Main from here on out. Heck, as it is they want to tear down Yocum and Humphreys (Thank God).

As to additional classroom space, ways will be found to expand what is already there. There are plans in place that will add on to about 5 different buildings without expanding their footprint by very much. Essentially keeping the same building design by completing what was originally intended. In addition to this, there are a few small buildings that will be torn down to create new ones better suited to its surroundings. Finishing quadrangles and the like.

On another front, several renovations are going to take place in order to increase classroom size / usefulness. There are plenty classrooms now that are not well suited to be multi-use rooms, i.e. the Science building. Externally it is nothing to look at, but inside it is awful. Four floors which are not used to their potential, or anywhere close for that matter, because of the classroom layout. Oh, and there's also the horrid smell.

As to expanding the campus, I highly doubt that anything will be done until the current goal of 25,000 is reached. IMHO, there is plenty of space for that number. In fact, I don't think that they will look to acquire any more land until that goal has been reached, even if we continue to grow past that point.

There are also no classrooms in the new nanotech building. Only labs and offices. I highly doubt that the university wants random students walking through labs that could be either top secret or extraordinarily expensive.

Akafish is pretty much spot on to the classroom expansion plans. I personally think it is very unfortunate that they refuse to build more 7-10 story buildings, as many other schools have done that to keep from having to expand outward, an idea the planning committees still haven't adequately considered... These 4 story buildings are unsustainable for future growth, and it's even worse with the residential "suite" dorms- they take up massive amounts of land and don't house a particularly large number of students. If they just made each building two stories higher, they'd be better off in the long run, but these buildings aren't built for the long run- another issue they'll have to deal with eventually. To give you an idea of where some new buildings will be located:

Finishing Ozark hall by making it fully symmetrical, expansion of the Fine Arts complex toward the greek theater where there is currently a parking lot, addition (again) to the back side of Vol Walker, major redevelopment and expansion of the Science building, addition onto Engineering Hall on the side next to Bell, demolition of Science and Engineering Auditorium and replacing it with an education building/auditorium replacement on that site (thank God, that is the single most embarrassing classroom facility on campus as far as aesthetics go), demolition of the annex next to the new Nanotech building and replacement with a larger academic building, expansion on the back of the Mechanical Engineering building, addition of a building right behind the Reynolds Enterprise Center, etc.

One thing akafish is incorrect on are the plans for Yocum and Humphreys- plans to demolish those buildings were once discussed, but are currently not part of the master plan for expansion. Due to the massive success of the Futrall renovation (it's really remarkable how they transformed that building) and the upcoming Pomfret renovation, they are more likely to completely renovate and redo Yocum depending on the popularity of the new renovations and long term cost projections. Humphreys is more complicated due to the inability to air condition the building, but it's currently not slated for demolition. There are plans to build a new residence hall structure in the general area of the parking lots by Gregson and Yocum, and it's hard to say for sure yet what will be done with Glad-rip, Buch-droke, and the Walton hall complex, but there are ongoing discussions about that.

Hmm, I didn't realize that they had changed the Yocum and Humphreys plans. I knew that they made plans for both cases, but thought that the preferred option was to remove them. I really wish that they would. Ugliest buildings ever, and I don't like the fact that they can be seen from 540, though I wouldn't mind if they actually had some character to the exterior.

As to the new dorms of McIllroy Hill, I am really not sure why they would only be four stories. According to the plans now, they are going to be built on the edge of the hill, where adding another two stories would just make it look like a four story building on top of the hill. I also agree about the suite style dorms. In maple hill, the doors automatically close and lock. The rooms are too separated from each other. Because of this, the RAs have to force the residents to interact with one another. What type of college experience is that? Some of my best friends were my neighbors in Pomfret my freshman year. On the other hand, you can live in maple hill and not know anyone next to you. I know people who lived there and have no friends from their floor.

Oh, I can tell you about Walton Hall. The university just put out a notice to architects near the end of September. Here it is:

"The University of Arkansas Fayetteville, in accordance with the policies of the Board of Trustees, is soliciting responses from interested firms to provide architectural services for the renovation of Bud Walton Hall. The central, 2-story section of this building (currently vacant) is proposed as the future location of the David and Barbara Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History. The southern, 3-story portion of this building is proposed as the future location of the Arkansas Center for Space and Planetary Sciences. The deadline for responses is 3:00 PM on Friday, October 9, 2009."

The old space and planetary sciences location is between Lafayette and Watson St. on the west side of Northwest Ave.

Hmm, I didn't realize that they had changed the Yocum and Humphreys plans. I knew that they made plans for both cases, but thought that the preferred option was to remove them. I really wish that they would. Ugliest buildings ever, and I don't like the fact that they can be seen from 540, though I wouldn't mind if they actually had some character to the exterior.

Yeah I can certainly agree that Yocum and Humphries aren't great to look at. And like you said they do stand out on the Fayetteville skyline. But one worry I'd have is that they could tear them down only to put up smaller buildings in their place. Right now the university doesn't seem to have any plans on building any buildings as high as those. It would be a waste to reuse that space only, for shorter smaller buildings. I suppose they could 'fill in' land in between those buildings to make up for the space lost in height. But still just seems a waste of space. As was mentioned earlier, just doesn't seem like the university is looking very far ahead into the future.

Fascinating information, guys- thanks.

So, there is plenty of room for expansion around the central part of campus. Some of those ideas sound like winners- the renovation of the Science building has been needed for a while, the annex where KUAF is certainly needs to be replaced ( I was afraid they were going to use that space for surface parking) and another business building all sound good. The reuse of the Science and Engineering Auditorium space (site of my first UA class) seems like a good one as well. The ones that don't are the additions to old buildings. I hate to see that - the Mullins Library looks almost schizophrenic- two completely different styles using completely different building materials. The Union looks slightly better but only because the addition is separate across Garland. The adding on like that reminds of a house where the garage has been turned into a room but the concrete driveway is still inplace - it reeks of bad planning and a cheap solution to space problems.

I also never understood the reasoning behind the new dorms being 4 story. They do take up a lot of space and aren't a more attactive style or more popular because of it it seems. Curious- what do you mean by not being built for the long run? Considering there is close to $100 million worth of construction there they should be built for a very long run.

As for Yocum and Humphries - they are probably a more recognized feature of the university than any buildings other than Old Main and Razorback Stadium. Those buildings are what catch your eye when approaching Fayetteville from the south- I remember returning to campus up the old path on 71 and feeling like I was back when I caught sight of them. They are a symbol of life at the campus at night when they are lit up - from Walton Arena they are most impressive. It would be a huge mistake to tear them down without plans to erect similarly sized buildings to take their place. A thorough renovation would be a much better plan.

Fascinating information, guys- thanks.

So, there is plenty of room for expansion around the central part of campus. Some of those ideas sound like winners- the renovation of the Science building has been needed for a while, the annex where KUAF is certainly needs to be replaced ( I was afraid they were going to use that space for surface parking) and another business building all sound good. The reuse of the Science and Engineering Auditorium space (site of my first UA class) seems like a good one as well. The ones that don't are the additions to old buildings. I hate to see that - the Mullins Library looks almost schizophrenic- two completely different styles using completely different building materials. The Union looks slightly better but only because the addition is separate across Garland. The adding on like that reminds of a house where the garage has been turned into a room but the concrete driveway is still inplace - it reeks of bad planning and a cheap solution to space problems.

Lemme guess, Chem. I with Brewer. 7:30 a.m. MWF.

That is if you graduated any time during the last two decades.

There are plans for Mullins. Redo all of the western external surface as well as the western interior. I believe that the intention is to continue the eastern facade around the whole building. Space will then be added for the Honors college so that there will be one united location for the whole thing. Right now the college is spread amongst four different buildings.

As for the union, I don't foresee anything changing in the near future. The architecture dept has been working on some designs, but I think that is just for school purposes. Its on the list of things to be redone, but it will be a huge project and I think that there are many more important projects to complete first.

And no, you don't have to worry about more surface parking, at least not anywhere close to the middle of campus. They are actively trying to phase that out, as can be seen by the new parking decks.

If you would like to get an idea of the priority list of the university here is the money that they are requesting from the state through 2011.

http://planning.uark.edu/campus_planning/c...m_2009-2011.pdf

Interesting info on Walton, but one issue- none of that is near finalized. I have known for some time they wanted to move space and planetary sciences (potentially to that location), but they need funding to redo/build a location for them. The Union wants the space they're in now (it would be redeveloped into the new ballroom), but funding has been an issue, so don't expect that soon. Another side issue with that is that there is no one interested in fronting the money to demolish the building currently there. The nature of the mold in the building makes renovating it equally expensive as demolishing it, as all interior walls would have to be removed and replaced, as well as measures to prevent redevelopment of the mold being put into place. The library, on the other hand, is not a mere refresh, it's actually an all out western expansion they have planned (including cafe, green roof, etc.). However, they have no money lined up for that either. To be honest, our library is far too small for a research university the size of the UofA, but it may be a while before that is rectified.

As far as the Union- plans and money are actually very close to being finalized for that project/expansion- the designs from Architecture and Interior Design were to save design costs and get student input, not for pure hypotheticals. It will likely happen much sooner than the other projects.

As far as the Union- plans and money are actually very close to being finalized for that project/expansion- the designs from Architecture and Interior Design were to save design costs and get student input, not for pure hypotheticals. It will likely happen much sooner than the other projects.

Really? That is great. I knew that they had some designs in the union near the end of last semester, but one of the guys that I was talking to about it said he thought it would be several years out. This is Awesome though. If any of those designs are used, the union is going to look great. I loved everything that I saw.

Oh, and what do you mean with the ballroom? Where do they want to move it? Do you know what would take its place?

Is there any chance that the University starts putting some thought into a theme for their architecture? The old style buildings are so pretty, and the newer ones are mostly ugly. It seems like they could make an effort to mimic the central campus area's style more.

Is there any chance that the University starts putting some thought into a theme for their architecture? The old style buildings are so pretty, and the newer ones are mostly ugly. It seems like they could make an effort to mimic the central campus area's style more.

Overall they do seem to be planning ahead a bit more than what they used to. Although I admit I'm not sure what exactly is driving their current theme. I've also wondered why they don't try to go off the 'gothic collegiate look' of many of the building in the center of campus. Although it would be pretty expensive to use limestone blocks like the originals, you'd think they could still find a cheaper alternative that imitated or blended well with that look. But I guess you still have problems that the oldest buildings are brick and not the limestone. All those limestone buildings came about in the 1920's I believe. I think the university has decided to go for the brick style. But the problem is that they went away from those red brick buildings for so long that when they do them now there isn't enough to help it blend in. Some of those older brick buildings have also been painted over. Carnall had been painted, although it was stripped off when it was remodeled. But Peabody is one of the older brick buildings but it's still got the white paint.

Here's a pic of the Nanotechnology Building work- coming right along.

The second pic is the Chemistry and Biochemistry Research building that is connected to the Science and Chemistry buildings by skywalks. This along with the Bell Engineering building are to me great examples of following the style of the Gothic Collegate buildings if only in building materials. This building is one of my favorites on campus- it is simple but gives a feeling of strength and elegance.

Oh yeah, my first class in the Science and Engineering Auditorium was Music Lecture I to fulfill my fine arts requirement. I don't remember the instructors name but I do remember he built harpsichords as a hobby. :wacko:

DSCN2268.jpg

DSCN2100.jpg

Archived