University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Pi Beta Phi announced they are building a giant decorative gate along Maple at the turnaround near Old Main.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/10/24/our_town/102509otpiphigate.txt

It sounds like a major project. Anybody have a rendering?

Thanks for the info. I haven't had any luck finding any renderings so far though. Probably shouldn't come as a surprise but I have seen people complaining about the idea already. While some don't seen happy about having a big gate with Pi Beta Phi's name on it. Most are upset about the closing of the circle drive there near Old Main. Apparently closing that off will be part of putting in the gate as well.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? That is great. I knew that they had some designs in the union near the end of last semester, but one of the guys that I was talking to about it said he thought it would be several years out. This is Awesome though. If any of those designs are used, the union is going to look great. I loved everything that I saw.

Oh, and what do you mean with the ballroom? Where do they want to move it? Do you know what would take its place?

Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling for work again and it makes keeping up with forums difficult. This is a combination of responses to multiple people, but here goes.

First response- Yocum and Humphreys- I for one hope they don't tear those things down in the next 25-30 years. No, they are not attractive (neither is Reid or Pomfret) right now, but with the type of renovation they completed on Futrall, they could keep those buildings for another couple decades as viable, high density residence halls right where the University needs them most. There are ways that they could refresh the exterior to make it look a bit better, and I wish they would since they're such a significant part of the skyline- but we'll see what happens with that.

Second response- about being built for the long haul- The Maple Hill complex, although ridiculously (suspiciously if you have seen the quality of construction and materials used...) expensive, are only built for about a 40 year life cycle. The cost per student for those buildings is so much higher than when the tower dorms were built that it's likely they would never pay for themselves, which is a part of why rates went up on the older, paid-off dorms (Yocum, Humphreys, Pomfret, and Reid's original debts are long paid off) the income now is used to maintain the buildings, contribute towards remodel projects, and now- pay for a ridiculously expensive suite style complex those students aren't living in. I have major issues with this, and have made my opinion known, but current leadership within that section does not care. The life cycle annoys me though, because as much ongoing repair as that complex has already needed, the amount of money to keep it even livable for 40 years will be disgraceful.

Third response- architecture on the campus- The University actually completed a study a while back before the new buildings started going up that set out "districts" on campus to blend architectural styles so the changes wouldn't seem so abrupt. The renovation on the Band building a few years back was one of the first examples of that- it was supposed to blend the brick style of Gregson Hall with the brick style of the Fine Arts complex, the concrete style of the Union, and the glass of the transit facility. I think it makes that little section a much smoother transition than before. The reason JB Hunt and Walker hall are somewhat... homely, in my opinion, is the same reason. The needed to build something that would blend with Kimpel's style and Mechanical Engineering, which are not two of our more attractive buildings, so that tan brick style was chosen. Maple Hill was made to blend with the Quad, but it didn't do much of anything to blend with Reid and Hotz, so I don't know how that one qualified for their new district-ing plans. Nanotech is being built to blend the brick styles of the Annex and that fraternity house with the concrete and glass style of Bell engineering. I personally love the gothic style, but the odds of a new gothic building being built aren't too good at most sites except where they plan to replace the Social work building. That will have to fit with that district, so that could be a very nice building.

Fourth response- Additions/expansions- All planned expansions and additions are being planned to integrate the existing architectural style of the building, or blend it. The addition to Ozark will look exactly like Ozark, it will just make it symmetrical. Remember when they build that 5 story section onto the back of Vol Walker? Think that kind of blending. The library is going to have the side towards the Union completely refreshed- that's where they're building on. It will try to connect with the Union style a bit, and will likely look much more similar to the other side of the library than it does now. The Union addition will look exactly like the current bridge does, just taller. They're going to expand out and build in all the space over Garland that is currently patio space, as well as make that section 2-stories, so they can finally connect the top floor of both sides. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the additions and expansions.

Fifth response- Union/Ballroom- They want to start work on the Union as soon as possible, but they'll need financing approved for it first. That is what could take some time, but supposedly they've been working on it already for a little while, so keep your fingers crossed. As far as the Ballroom goes, that's the whole reason they want Space and Planetary sciences moved in the first place, so they can have that space and remodel/convert it into a new ballroom. The existing ballroom would either be remodeled and kept as a decent sized space like it is now to be used in the Union, or turned into more meeting rooms/ spaces. I'd say it's much more likely it will be kept the way it is just because it's conveniently located and has catering facilities built into it. The new ballroom has been needed for some time, the Alltel Ballroom has been way too small for the number of students we have. We need a large 1000+ seat ballroom, not one that only holds a few hundred. That project can't move forward until Space and Planetary sciences is moved though, which according to what you've found (good work!), may take some time, because that work on Walton won't be cheap and they'll have a lot of work to get done before the Union can even take control of the current building.

As far as the PiPhi gate goes, I think that sounds like a great idea, and I'd love to see a rendering of it. I always thought we needed a little more "entrance" presence on that side of campus, maybe this will be a step in the right direction.

Wizard:

thanks for the information. Lots of good stuff there.

I'm concerned by the thought of the U of A using single buildings as transitions to blend two different areas of campus. It doesn't make sense architecturally and can lead to some pretty awkward buildings.

I wish they'd just look at each building as a piece in and of itself. But stick to the same architectural styles within the districts, except don't try to match existing ugly architecture (I know, I know, its subjective).

The Library shouldn't look to the Union for style cues. It has a style started on the east side. That should be continued to the west side---period.

The "blending" mentality is why we just constructed those monstrous buildings in the business area (JB Hunt Building is HIDEOUS, IMO). We'd have been better off looking at ways to make beautiful buildings instead of blindly repeating the mistakes of the past (Kimpel is horrendous) for the sake of continuity.

A gothic style building, or post-modern interpretation thereof, would have done wonders for that ugly area. Then, future buildings or renovations could have looked to an actual good building for inspiration.

There's a chance to do "corrective" architecture. I really think thats what the campus needs right now, but isn't doing.

Wizard:

thanks for the information. Lots of good stuff there.

I'm concerned by the thought of the U of A using single buildings as transitions to blend two different areas of campus. It doesn't make sense architecturally and can lead to some pretty awkward buildings.

I wish they'd just look at each building as a piece in and of itself. But stick to the same architectural styles within the districts, except don't try to match existing ugly architecture (I know, I know, its subjective).

The Library shouldn't look to the Union for style cues. It has a style started on the east side. That should be continued to the west side---period.

The "blending" mentality is why we just constructed those monstrous buildings in the business area (JB Hunt Building is HIDEOUS, IMO). We'd have been better off looking at ways to make beautiful buildings instead of blindly repeating the mistakes of the past (Kimpel is horrendous) for the sake of continuity.

A gothic style building, or post-modern interpretation thereof, would have done wonders for that ugly area. Then, future buildings or renovations could have looked to an actual good building for inspiration.

There's a chance to do "corrective" architecture. I really think thats what the campus needs right now, but isn't doing.

I agree with you, actually. Unfortunately Kimpel is the anchor for that district's style, and I think it's easily the least attractive major building on campus. Luckily, the gothic style is supposed to be incorporated into the additions/expansions within the historic core. Unfortunately, the NWQ is the anchor for the Maple end, so we'll end up with a lot of bland red modern brick. If anyone hasn't seen the Campus Planning and Identity presentation, it's a very interesting PDF linked here: http://planning.uark.edu/campus_planning/content/planning+identity.pdf . It visualizes a lot of what I was trying to explain. I forgot it was there or I would have linked it earlier.

Awesome. Thanks.

The NWQ is, I think, inspired by Holcombe. If Holcombe is the true inspiration, I wish we'd see more mimicking of that style. I guess with the steep roofs (rooves?) and red brick, the newer stuff is a kind of post-modern interpretation of that style.

I'd rather the planning people think of the Kimpel area as a mistake in architecture, and move on with something better. Missed opportunites if you ask me.

Thanks for all the info and the link. That was pretty interesting to see. While I do see now that they are trying to tie in a bit to other buildings I still wish there was a way to make them a bit more appealing. I see what they're trying to do but in many cases I think the newer buildings still lack the 'charm' the older buildings have. So from my perspective I guess that leaves going for something more modern looking. But there's problems with that as well. Chances are the new building won't blend in well with other existing buildings. Also building in a modern style leaves you open to having 'dated' buildings on campus. While some styles might have been the big thing at the time they were built, they can turn out to be eyesores a few decades later. But anyway at least overall I can see what the university is trying to do. Although as it's been pointed out there are some cases where it's still hard to see why the university went with some designs. It's also a shame to make some of the newer buildings blend in with what's already there if the existing buildings aren't particularly great looking buildings in the first place.

Yes, thanks for that link- that is an amazing presentation. I had no idea of the historical path of campus development. For my personal tastes I wish they had stuck with the 1925 masterplan all the way through- that would have made for a even more beautiful campus. The post modernist buildings are a great improvement on what was built since the Collegiate Gothic style was left behind. What really impressed me were the new Gothic buldings in that presentation- anything built in the core area should follow that style or the Classical style. I'm glad to see they are trying to follow the 1925 masterplan in how the buildings are arranged at least. I'm going to have to go through that again- very cool!

The much maligned Walker Hall business building on campus has received a Honor Award from the American Institute of Architects. This is the southernmost of the two new business buildings built recently and very visible from downtown Fayetteville. It is sited as having a contemporary image that along with the new Center for Academic Excellence frames the courtyard area there.

Up close this is an attractive building that does indeed make the courtyard an inviting area. It does fit in with the other buildings in that area and in time will become a familar sight- it always takes time for very noticeable buildings to fit in to the landscape.

I know many people have complained about those two buildings but I don't think they are that bad. Of course, starting a new style and going with some old gothic designs would be my choice. What they worked with and created is actually a very nice area. I do have my reservations about parts of the buildings, but overall I am very happy with these two buildings.

Also the view from the conference room of the southern most building is amazing. It is on the South East side and it is amazing. You should go and look sometime. Actually, I will be up on campus for a Moch Interview (I am preparing for a management interview, wish me luck?) tomorrow so I will try to get some pictures if I can find some power for my camera.

Walker Hall is definitely my favorite building in that area of campus.

If they could re-do Kimpel and re-face it with a bunch of big windows it would really help my opinion of that part of campus. Its a shame that such a tall hilltop building in Fayetteville fails to take advantage of our beautiful views. Its like a giant, faceless fortress.

Walker Hall is definitely my favorite building in that area of campus.

If they could re-do Kimpel and re-face it with a bunch of big windows it would really help my opinion of that part of campus. Its a shame that such a tall hilltop building in Fayetteville fails to take advantage of our beautiful views. Its like a giant, faceless fortress.

Yeah that is odd considering the location. Was someone worried the students wouldn't pay attention in class? :D

I have been reading on some sports barods that the U of A is taking bids for architectural services to design some additions to the athletic facilities on campus. A lot of people thing its a redo of the Broyles Complex.

Another thing I have been thinking about is that I have looked up several of the other SEC schools and U of A's campus seems small by comparison, as far as number of acres in the campus. Ole Miss has 1000 acres and LSU's is listed at 2000+. I really wish the U of A had managed to snag the Fayetteville High property.As it stands, the campus is compact and only takes up 350 acres or so.

As for Humphries and Yocum, does anybody remember how hideous the old Science and Engineering building used to be that sits on Dickson just west of the Bell Engineering Building?

They totally refaced it with granite, or limestone, or whatever, and made it match the addition to the library. It was a HUGE improvement over the 60s modernist crap it used to look like. I wish someone could post before and after pics of that. Mith? You seem handy with the pictures...

I would totally support both of those to be re-faced with granite or limestone. Put in some architectural touches, cornices, etc. Do a true Gothic spire-type top on them. Maybe add on a wing 3 stories tall or so that connects the two and provides some new amenities for students, and allow the buildings to "stair step" down a bit, softening their verticality some.

I think two gleaming white, stone-clad towers would look phenomenal from all around town. I imagine the names "Yocum" and Humphries" carved into cornices over the entrances to both.

Traditionalize them. Put Gothic-arches at the entrances. There's a precedent for this already in the Sci-Eng building. That would go a long way to improving campus aesthetics.

I've thought about it some more, and I think that the best way to renovate those two dorms, Humphries and Yocum, would be to match them to Gregson.

They can re-use some of the brick currently on them. Just add a roof that is pitched the same as Gregson Lodge. Over the tops of the window areas, at the top of the building, add those little triangles.

Rework the facades, remove those terraces, and make the exteriors more interesting. That doesn't change the color scheme and allows it to "fit" with the rest of that part of campus. It also would greatly improve the aesthetics of the buildings and allow them to be re-used.

I wish I knew how to photoshop. I'd do a rendering for you. silly.png

I think in a similar way, Hotz and Reid could be adapted with new pitched rooftops, to match Maple Hill.

I've thought about it some more, and I think that the best way to renovate those two dorms, Humphries and Yocum, would be to match them to Gregson.

They can re-use some of the brick currently on them. Just add a roof that is pitched the same as Gregson Lodge. Over the tops of the window areas, at the top of the building, add those little triangles.

Rework the facades, remove those terraces, and make the exteriors more interesting. That doesn't change the color scheme and allows it to "fit" with the rest of that part of campus. It also would greatly improve the aesthetics of the buildings and allow them to be re-used.

I think in a similar way, Hotz and Reid could be adapted with new pitched rooftops, to match Maple Hill.

Good ideas- and you are right about the old Science and Engineering building that was the worst looking building on campus. They did a tremendous job on renovating it. If they could do something like that with Humphries and Yocum and modernize the interiors also it would be great.

Wonder if they are still looking at adding seating over the Broyles Complex? That was the rumour at one time. They still haven't added permanent seating on top of the south end yet so that may still be a rumour.

Next time you drive up onto campus, make a note to look at Gregson and imagine those features, rooflines, etc being transposed onto Humphries and Yocum. Its not that big of a stretch. The view of those buildings would be iconic if they had those rooflines and features. As they stand now, they evoke images of Soviet-era Siberian apartment blocks.

Remodeling and renovating Yocum and Humphries would be a nice alternative. If they're torn down they'd probably just stick some 4 story buildings up in their place. I'm just wondering though if the university would be on board with that type of remodel though.

Before I graduated I was involved with RIC (Residential Interhall Congress), and I was hearing some different plans for those buildings. Nothing was official though but I heard more about Hump being torn down first then Yocum and GladR and BuckDro. What was to replace them was a dense Maple Hill thing. But then again, I heard several things but nothing from official statements. Even if they were from people who would know, there wasn't anything that was official.

I like that idea. I don't know that they've considered that option, but no long term plans are finalized for those buildings yet, so it may very well come up in the next few years. I would be very surprised to see Humphreys be fully remodeled considering the lack of A/C, but there's potential for Yocum. The buildings are certainly not too far gone, after seeing the renovation they completed on Futrall hall, I now see how they can completely gut and redo the interior of those concrete behemoths and make them into something more modern and nice inside. Futrall was a huge success and they could combine that interior remodel with an exterior job (like they did with SCEN), and make the building new again. If they demolish it, they'll build a 4-5 story complex that wastes a lot of space (which they don't have to waste), and I like having some towers on the hill top.

• 1 month later...

I thought that I would move the webcam link up some for the Garland Parking Garage Facility. I also found some other live streaming webcams on campus.

Here are the links, check them out:

Garland Parking Facility

Walton College

Central Quad, Inside Student Union, Fulbright Fountain (You can actually control some of these.)

I thought that I would move the webcam link up some for the Garland Parking Garage Facility. I also found some other live streaming webcams on campus.

Here are the links, check them out:

Garland Parking Facility

Walton College

Central Quad, Inside Student Union, Fulbright Fountain (You can actually control some of these.)

Thanks for the links. Although the Garland Parking link doesn't seem to be working right now. But I don't think it's a bad link but that the site is just down right now. I probably should head over at some point to take a few pics.

Thanks for the links. Although the Garland Parking link doesn't seem to be working right now. But I don't think it's a bad link but that the site is just down right now. I probably should head over at some point to take a few pics.

That garage is going up at an impressive rate of speed right now. The project was delayed with all the rain during the foundation portion of the project, so they're behind and have even had some 24 hour crews working on it lately. Apparently the University's contract on that specifies it's done this coming Summer or it costs the developers. I wish them the best of luck in getting it all done by then, I just hope no corners are cut in the process as were with some of the other buildings that had to be rushed to get finished prior to a school year starting.

Just to update something I mentioned the other day. The link to the camera at the Garland Parking Garage site is working again. So no bad link, that site was just down that day.

Here's a couple of pics of ongoing projects at the University of Arkansas. The first is a closeup of the new KUAF studios located off campus across from the Fayetteville Public Library. I believe they are going through the final construction punchlist and will be broadcasting from here soon.

The second is the new NanoTech building from a distance. It certainly won't block the view of Old Main from most angles. It seems a waste of space to me- two more floors would have added that much more space that didn't have to be spread out on green space in a future building elsewhere. An interesting aspect of this photo is the ice storm damage visible in the tree to the left- those limbs are going to come down someday and I hope noone is under them when they do.

Hopefully Santa will bring me a new camera - if so I'm going to retake this pic and post it. :thumbsup:

DSCN2405.jpg

DSCN2406.jpg

Archived