University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Here's pic of the new football center site. This angle includes the skycrane at the Vol Walker addition site- quite exciting to see the progress on campus.DSC_0263.jpg

Yeah nice to see more activity after the big lull in the area the past couple of years. Thanks for the pic. :thumbsup:

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Founders Hall rendering, breaking ground this summer. Great looking building, IMO. The planning people are finally getting it. Well done.

Also, some of you will be pleased to know that the section nearest to Humphreys Hall will be 6 stories instead of 5. Including the gabled roof, it will be closer in height to a 7-story building.

http://www.clarkcont...s/details?id=25

post-24217-0-51155100-1332128104_thumb.j

Founders Hall rendering, breaking ground this summer. Great looking building, IMO. The planning people are finally getting it. Well done.

Also, some of you will be pleased to know that the section nearest to Humphreys Hall will be 6 stories instead of 5. Including the gabled roof, it will be closer in height to a 7-story building.

http://www.clarkcont...s/details?id=25

Cool, thanks for the info and rendering. :thumbsup:

Also, imagine that rendering flipped horizontally, and put the tallest gable peak over where you can see Kimpel in the picture of the football center a few posts up. This building will enhance the skyline from the east, by hiding Kimpel.

Here, I flipped it for you. Insert this with the tall end covering the tall tower of Kimpel, right up next to Humphreys. That will really improve that view with density, as well as pleasing architecture. I'm so glad they didn't build another square throw-away design that will look terrible in 10 years.

post-24217-0-36754400-1332197217_thumb.j

This I like. I'm not surprised that the style of building has changed at housing recently, but I'm glad the old mistakes aren't being repeated by what I hope is a better team now. The interior layout of this dorm will also be unique compared to anything on the UofA campus thus far and I think it will go over well. The step up from 5-6 story design with a tall gable nearest the taller buildings is attractive and will be a nice way to blend up from a 2 story building to a 9/10 story one. I haven't said this in as long as I can remember to a new housing building on the UofA campus, but good work Housing!

Yeah I didn't mention this yesterday but I'm also liking the design. While it won't blend in with Kimpel it does seem to blend in with some of the other buildings in the general area. The more I see of this project the more I'm liking it.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Does anyone know where the new Houseing Office and the new Technology Support builings will be located? Rumored to be between the new Childhood Development Center and the Garland Center or on Razorback Rd.

Thanks,

http://planning.uark...ction_proj.html

The Tech support building is going to be across Razorback Rd. from the southern end of the track complex.

http://planning.uark.edu/capital_budgeting/content/2011_rfq_gc_ITsupport.pdf

The Housing Office is going to be just east of the Bookstore portion of the Garland Center.

http://planning.uark...ousingadmin.pdf

The University is look at building a 3-4 story classroom building between the Harmon Garage and Dickson Street. It was in their bi-annual financial request to the state. Also mentioned in that same document was projections of a 28,000 student population. I like that number better than a 25k hard cap.

The housing office and the Information Systems building will probably break ground sometime this year or early 2013. I'd look for both to be complete by Spring 2014.

The University is look at building a 3-4 story classroom building between the Harmon Garage and Dickson Street. It was in their bi-annual financial request to the state. Also mentioned in that same document was projections of a 28,000 student population. I like that number better than a 25k hard cap.

The housing office and the Information Systems building will probably break ground sometime this year or early 2013. I'd look for both to be complete by Spring 2014.

I think a new classroom building there is a smart move considering it's proximity to JB Hunt, Walker, and the new auditorium, etc. . Eventually they're going to have to deal with the ME complex being so sprawled and low-density, but I've been told it'll be more expensive to replace than most buildings due to the type of labs/equipment there etc. so there was no rush to look into redeveloping it at the time I asked. Hopefully it'll come up in the future though, it's a prime location for future additional classroom space.

The new Information Systems and Housing office buildings are going to utilize some sort of "modular" construction (to speed up construction and keep costs lower they say) and be relatively modern looking, according to the details provided so far. Initial renderings:

IT Support: itSupportBuilding.jpg

Housing: housingOffice.jpg

Thanks for the renderings- that IT Support building will certainly stand out at that location. Aren't the intermural fields at that spot now? Wonder what they plan to do with them- they get quite a bit of use.

I gues that is actually further up Razorback now that I've looked at a map.

Thanks for the renderings- that IT Support building will certainly stand out at that location. Aren't the intermural fields at that spot now? Wonder what they plan to do with them- they get quite a bit of use.

I gues that is actually further up Razorback now that I've looked at a map.

Yeah, I just glanced at the map but I thought it was being placed where a small parking lot (and maybe some nearby residential space? Couldn't tell for sure) are now.

• 2 weeks later...

The Silas Hunt scultpure memorial is mostly completed. It is located NW of Old Main. I honestly don't like it much. It just seems kind of shoddy, IMO. The bronze relief portion of the sculpture really looks kind of hokey and primitively done. The stone portion is supposed to look "primitive" and I guess it succeeds in that respect.

I expected it would be larger, too. I give it a big thumbs down.

• 2 months later...

Here are some update photos for ongoing projects on-campus. The first is the football operations center. It is moving along but a lot of work left to do obviously. The second is the practice field/ parking deck on the site of the old George Cole Field. It looks finished although footbal practices seem to be on the intramural fields further south on Razorback Rd. I know the deck must be ready- I have a parking pass for it. If you look in the distance on top the hill you can see dirt work for the off-campus student housing project The Vue. The third photo is the Pi Beta Phi Centennial Gate on Maple with the campus walkway behind it. These two projects have ttansformed an okay-looking area of campus into a beautiful landmark for the school.

DSC_0618.jpgDSC_0619.jpgDSC_0620.jpg

• 1 month later...

According to the University of Arkansas Traveler Newspaper, the University if working with the new Sororities that have been welcomed to find a location for the future construction of housing.

I would assume that the houses would be built off of Maple Ave., but there has been talk of a University based project at the Corner of Clinton Dr. across from Pomfrett Hall and Bud Walton Areana.

None the less, this time of growth as really sparked the University. I look forward to the continued improvement and expansion of the U of A.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ozark Hall addition. The renderings show that it will not replicate the Collegiate Gothic style and will stand out as an obvious addition. I think many will be disappointed by this- the original 1927 master plan should be faithfully followed for anything in the core of campus.DSC_0009.jpg

Vol Walker addition. This is an extreme example of ignoring the sense of place for the core of campus. The architectural arrogance of placing this type of style in the core of campus should be rejected. This building by itself would have fit in at many other places on campus but here is an obscene display of the architect's vanity.DSC_0003.jpg

UP has gotten harder to use- I've tried and tried to delete that second Ozark Hall addition photo and it will not edit out. When I try to post anything it may take several trys before it will actually take. Anyone else having these problems? Wonder what I need to do?

This is the third time I've tried to post this. It took me 4 tries to post the Founders Hall photo on the preceding page. Grrr....

zman: RE: Ozark Hall addition

I have seen the renderings for this project, and I see it as a very good addition that actually does replicate the collegiate gothic style.

ozarkHall.jpg

It is a slightly more ornate design with a few more flourishes, but they are using the same materials, same general lines, same windows, etc. I think it will look great.

Ozark Hall addition. The renderings show that it will not replicate the Collegiate Gothic style and will stand out as an obvious addition. I think many will be disappointed by this- the original 1927 master plan should be faithfully followed for anything in the core of campus.DSC_0009.jpg

I've had worries the university wasn't going to go through with this expansion the way I had hoped. Granted, I guess we should mainly just hope they put the effort on the finished exterior. It would be great if they did this addition with a limestone exterior like the rest of the building. But I'm guessing they'll be more likely to simply use concrete. Guess we'll have to see how close to the rendering wmr posted the university gets to it.

UP has gotten harder to use- I've tried and tried to delete that second Ozark Hall addition photo and it will not edit out. When I try to post anything it may take several trys before it will actually take. Anyone else having these problems? Wonder what I need to do?

This is the third time I've tried to post this. It took me 4 tries to post the Founders Hall photo on the preceding page. Grrr....

Haven't had any problems personally. Although I also haven't tried posting any pictures in a while. I think I've got your other post edited to the way you wanted.

Archived