University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

This a positive for the UA but it would seem to lessen the chances of a 4 star hotel being built on the Ren Tower site downtown. According to the article it would be the second largest hotel in the city. This hotel may be targeted at a specific type of customer but I imagine anyone will be able to rent a room.

On a another subject- I stopped by the Highway Dept. meeting about the Razorback Road improvement. It looks like a basic widening project without major changes to what is there now. The presentation also included information on the next phase going on up Razorback and going east on Maple. I was disappointed that a more imaginative approach isn't being taken on the section next to the stadium. I had hoped that a project that widened the road and somehow created space to finish out the west side façade of the stadium to match the east side would be considered. Creating a tunnel with a plaza above it on the west side of the stadium with that improved façade seems a worthy goal.

I hadn't thought about the possible effect on a future hotel downtown.  But I do think this would be a good thing for the U of A itself.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" A picture is worth a thousand words" Or, in this case, two pictures. Another idea would be to add a parking deck for the scholarship parkers on the west side and use it to finish out the façade.DSC_0231.jpgDSC_0229.jpg

At one point in the past I had heard mention of the U of A finally looking into fixing the west facade.  Then for some reason I never heard the subject come back up.  Not sure if they saw the costs involved and changed their minds.  But I certainly agree with you.  I know it's mainly just cosmetic, but to me it just seems to really detract from the overall look of the stadium.  

I have long thought that improving the access to the Stadium  from the North could fix the traffic problem and possibly open an opportunity to do something creative on the west side of the stadium.

In KC there are all kinds of buildings that go over I-70 (Bartle Hall) (KC Star)... That could look pretty cool at the west side of the stadium. with traffic going under part of the stadium. I am sure a restaurant/plaza tenant design could make it pretty amazing. put the Executive Hotel right there!

• 2 weeks later...

While thinking about the UofA wanting that hotel on campus, the Coody proposed hotel/deck at the parking lot on Dickson came to mind again.

possibledicksonhotelbz6.jpg

Just to expand on that old proposal, Work with the railroad to offer a Game Train from the River Valley on Football weekends. Passenger train rolls in  night before an early game or morning before a night game, offers a package with a room at hotel for either the night before or after the game depending on time or make it a two night thing. and have a small load and unloading area for the train.

I thought them using the rail as a shuttle between Dickson and Baum during BB&B was a great ideal

While thinking about the UofA wanting that hotel on campus, the Coody proposed hotel/deck at the parking lot on Dickson came to mind again.

Just to expand on that old proposal, Work with the railroad to offer a Game Train from the River Valley on Football weekends. Passenger train rolls in  night before an early game or morning before a night game, offers a package with a room at hotel for either the night before or after the game depending on time or make it a two night thing. and have a small load and unloading area for the train.

I thought them using the rail as a shuttle between Dickson and Baum during BB&B was a great ideal

The game train is a great idea. i'm surprised it hasn't came up before. They run a train Saturdays anyway- tieing it into the game seems a sure way to ensure a full train.

That is a good idea.  The only potential problem I could see is it possibly interfering with A&M train schedule.  But over all A&M seems to be rather open to allowing other uses on it's tracks.  Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to work around.  

It would be more complicated but I wonder if you could get this idea going if you might possibly be able to extend it down to central Arkansas as well.  Although then you have to deal with another railroad line.  You also add a lot more miles to an already somewhat slow journey.  Even if it didn't stop anywhere between Little Rock and Ft Smith it still has to slow down in every town along the way.  And then you'd also lack the scenery as well.

That is a good idea.  The only potential problem I could see is it possibly interfering with A&M train schedule.  But over all A&M seems to be rather open to allowing other uses on it's tracks.  Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to work around.  

It would be more complicated but I wonder if you could get this idea going if you might possibly be able to extend it down to central Arkansas as well.  Although then you have to deal with another railroad line.  You also add a lot more miles to an already somewhat slow journey.  Even if it didn't stop anywhere between Little Rock and Ft Smith it still has to slow down in every town along the way.  And then you'd also lack the scenery as well.

A&M already do excursion trains on the weekends.  They leave from Springdale and go to Van Buren. You get off and spend a few hours there and they run a train up to Winslow tunnel and then back to VB where folks load up and go back to Springdale. They could likely figure it out if partnered up the Athletic Dept/Alumni Asso. and it included over night stays. I don't  think it would be all that ideal for a "day of " kinda thing. The problem with that is that there's no lodging that's adjacent to the train track and that's why I mentioned it as part of that old hotel proposal that I can dream about. I hate wasted surface parking when it could so much more.

arkansas-missouri-railroad.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Let's call this series of photos the Hits and Misses of some the current projects on campus. The first is the Ozark Hall addition- a definite Hit. The stonework is as close a match as could be hoped for. The second photo is the major miss that we all knew it would be when first announced. The addition to Vol Walker Hall is the horrible obtrusion on the core of the campus that it was feared it would be. Hopefully fast growing trees and shrubs will be planted around it to hide it from view. I'll never understand why someone did not stand up and say this was not the the design that was appropriate for this site. The third is a welcome hit- the Hillside Auditorium. I hated for personal reasons seeing the old Geology Building being removed but this project turned out to be a great success.234.jpg235.jpg262.jpg

Let's call this series of photos the Hits and Misses of some the current projects on campus. The first is the Ozark Hall addition- a definite Hit. The stonework is as close a match as could be hoped for. The second photo is the major miss that we all knew it would be when first announced. The addition to Vol Walker Hall is the horrible obtrusion on the core of the campus that it was feared it would be. Hopefully fast growing trees and shrubs will be planted around it to hide it from view. I'll never understand why someone did not stand up and say this was not the the design that was appropriate for this site. The third is a welcome hit- the Hillside Auditorium. I hated for personal reasons seeing the old Geology Building being removed but this project turned out to be a great success.234.jpg235.jpg262.jpg

Thanks for the pics.   :thumbsup:   I have to say I think I pretty much have the same opinion as you.  Even on the last one.  Like you I have personal reasons for missing the the old Geology Bldg but the new building will be a welcome improvement.  If I had a complaint, although it's sometimes nice to have contrasting buildings and architecture.  Sometimes I wish the university could get a better overall theme going.  

I have the same opinions.

I like Hillside Auditorium because visually, its just a brick overlook.  It underscores what a big mistake it was to place the Harmon Garage where it is.  If it could have been made three levels lower, the mountain views from Hillside and Greek Theater would have been wonderful.  We now have to settle for a small sliver of mountain view.

But Ozark Hall is going to be phenomenal.  I hope that it is well recieved and can influence other projects to prevent another Marlon Blackwell disaster.

Just because the words college and collage are so close to each other, that doesn't mean a college should be a splattering of design. I agree that Ozark Hall meets the "brand". Unfortunately that style of exterior is quickly shadowed by monolithic modern jokes. Marlon should have a 2014 course titled "how to fix Vol Walker Hall". I would recommend LED light shows, commissioned Graffiti, and a gigantic water feature cascading over the top of the building"

Was told that proposed condos across from Baum is going to be tabled again. Supposedly, one of the solutions to overcome burdensome and over regulating streamside ordinance is to have parallel parking along Razorback Rd.

Was told that proposed condos across from Baum is going to be tabled again. Supposedly, one of the solutions to overcome burdensome and over regulating streamside ordinance is to have parallel parking along Razorback Rd.

Maybe they can put in the 'back in' parking like Block Ave just to get everyone riled back up again. 

I also feel like the streamside protection ordinance is a bit over-reaching.  It certainly makes infill more difficult to achieve, and these condos are a good example of that.

I guess Razorback Road is a city street (not a state highway) south of MLK.  Parallel parking along a 4-lane street isn't unheard of in larger cities.  

The streamside ordinance was the crown jewel of a person whose sole purpose to serve as a councilman was to provide some environmental achievement and build her bonafides on her resume in her career field. Fayetteville was happy to play a fool and go along with it. From what I've seen, the project improves the creek along side it but it's the arbitrary distance from the creek that's the problem.

There is a bit of useless center turn lane on that section of Razorback that should have been tree median. I guess you could lose that and turn the existing right lane going south to 540 into this parallel parking area. It's

more than ten spaces but less than twenty. Gameday traffic is my concern.

The proponents of the streamside ordinance took advantage of the slowdown in development due to the recession to push the ordinance through. Because there were few projects in the works and much financial distress among developers there wasn't anyone to fight against the ordinance when it was put forth. Now we are seeing development pick back up we are seeing the results of it.

The problem I have with it is that there's been one appeal that went through with little fuss. It was for a private residence and was rather large in terms of how much of the development laid within the streamside ordinance boundary. It was for non bankrupt Lindsey son.

Here in this case, the developer has made three attempts to make it work. I believe its the same outfit that once had the condo geared for gameday fans approved before the market tanked. They listed it for a while with no takers so they are coming back with this proposal. So... basically, the city took land from them without reimbursement considering they bought the land when they were being held to the same rules as The Crown and the shopping center across the creek from them.

the kicker is that the baseball field's use of fertilizer makes most efforts to control pollution for that little stretch of creek near impossible. Look at the algae growth in the retention pond behind center field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The sidewalk at Hillside had shifted already.  Looks like they went back in with another few feet of clay and gravel to make a better foundation.  Its possible they did it too quickly as they rushed to get the building open for spring semester.

Dickson Street between Bell Engineering and Ozark Drive is being redone.  I know they are ripping out the street-adjacent sidewalk on the north side of Dickson, and replacing it with curb-grass-sidewalk-grass-streetlamp configuration that exists on the south side of the street.  I think Dickson will also be slightly narrowed by this work.  It will be an aesthetic improvement..  I think, but I am not sure, that they are also installing some raised pedestrian crossings in that stretch, maybe with patterned concrete/brickwork.  Both of these things will dress up that street some more.  

Another couple of the low-slung modernist buildings in what's called "Service Valley" are getting roof redos this summer as well.  The mechanical engineering lab building is getting a raised, pitched roof that will cover some of the ugliness that existed on the flat roof.  I think there are plans for some reconstruction of the penthouse of the main heating plant as well.  All of these improvements are being made partially in order to make the views better from Greek Theater and from the top of McIlroy Hill.  Kudos to the university for doing small things like this over the past couple of years that have a big visual impact.

A couple of updated renderings on the planning site.

White Engineering Hall, renovation and addition.  This should be very similar in scope and improvement to the Ozark Hall proejct (hooray):

whiteEngineeringHall.jpg

New classroom/lab buildings, south side of Dickson across from Bell Engineering.  This is modernist, but it fills a "hole" down a hillside there, and won't have a large visual impact.  It will add a nice landscaped plaza to an area with little usable greenspace.  This also includes the classrooms needed to reach 28,000 students:

classroomsLabs.jpg

New academic/dining center in Athletic Valley between HPER and Pomfret:

athleticAcademicDining.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK, I'll step out.  I had some misgivings about the addition to Vol Walker, but I walked past there this morning and decided it works.  I think the south façade is especially successful.  Fire away.

I'll have to check that out. I've never had a problem with the building itself- it is the location in the core of campus that bothers me. The contrast with the surrounding buildings destroys the sense of place. The addition seems to be for the aggrandizement of the architect and it's style shows a lack of respect for the historic nature of the area. The University says they want to work towards completing the master plan from the early years and then allow this.....

• 2 months later...

Just because the words college and collage are so close to each other, that doesn't mean a college should be a splattering of design. I agree that Ozark Hall meets the "brand". Unfortunately that style of exterior is quickly shadowed by monolithic modern jokes. Marlon should have a 2014 course titled "how to fix Vol Walker Hall". I would recommend LED light shows, commissioned Graffiti, and a gigantic water feature cascading over the top of the building"

Well said.  I love modern architecture, and I happen to like much of what Marlon Black has designed previously, but in his hands Vol Walker has become a gawd-awful travesity of biblical plague proportions. The U of A has a very annoying habit of building these mis-matched cojoined oddities; this one is by far the ugliest of a very ugly lot and the most grotesquely mis-matched. Vol Walker should have gotten the same treatment as Ozark.  And this Marlon Black creation - had it been built at all - should have been built as a complete building and not as a cojoined monstrosity over at the Technology Park where this type of architecture actually makes sense.

Had a family member in from Madison Wis this past weekend. As we walked back to our ride through campus after the game on Sat he saw the Walker addition and said "what the %$@* is that!" As we turned and walked through the new gate he remarked how it kinda had a feeling of getting released from prison back in the day.

Archived