University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Had a family member in from Madison Wis this past weekend. As we walked back to our ride through campus after the game on Sat he saw the Walker addition and said "what the %$@* is that!" As we turned and walked through the new gate he remarked how it kinda had a feeling of getting released from prison back in the day.

Saw it for the first time recently, not an ugly building to me but dull.  Like a bank building circa 1972.  And out of place given the surrounding buildings.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Fascinating...a building in Fayetteville (no matter how rough it is to look at) ties with a Columbia U. /New York CIty and a Santa Monica structure for "Building of the year".

Northwest Arkansas just keeps getting in on things...

That's a good way too look at it, but I also echo the thought that I hope this doesn't encourage more traditional/modern hybrids on the campus.  

Marlon is obviously highly respected.  I read where the plan he helped create for Little Rock's creative corridor is winning national awards, too.

It looks like a giant Tetris piece slapped on a fine building and this is a building of the year? Architects and their circle jerks.

Yep.  It's like driving a brand new Ferrari to a classic Mustang rally; it's a great car, but it doesn't exactly fit the theme.  As a structure, it's very nice; it's the location and the fact that it's Borg'ed onto a very large, very traditional-looking building at the heart of campus that's the problem.  It seems UA has had a number of these gee-whiz, award winning modernist projects over the years that looked totally out-of-place when built and then age poorly; time will tell if this thing looks retro or just plain dated a few decades from now.  In my opinion, a great campus like Ohio State, for instance, looks great because the new buildings fit with the old buildings and the old buildings are renovated to look much like the new buildings.

I walked by the site of the new academic building along Dickson Street and took a photo of their updated rendering.

Its kinda crappy, but it will sit really low.  You can see that the site slopes down from the street before leveling out.  It won't have much of an impact visually, and its actually going to look better than what was there before (greenhouses, small office building).

post-24217-0-11983000-1391032128_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

UAMSNW ready to start its Doctor of Physical Therapy program in Fayetteville in 2015.  This will be the only PT school in the UAMS system.

http://www.uamshealth.com/news/default.aspx?id=5350&sid=1&nid=10132&cid=5

Now maybe we can get the dental school, too.

The eventual dental school will most likely be based in Little Rock.

• 6 months later...

Champions Hall is more angular than I previously had perceived.  I think it has some real potential.  I know it will be crazy expensive, but God help us we need to do something about the unsightly vista of the physical plant and Harmon Avenue garage when looking south from the Greek Theater.

Champions Hall is more angular than I previously had perceived.  I think it has some real potential.  I know it will be crazy expensive, but God help us we need to do something about the unsightly vista of the physical plant and Harmon Avenue garage when looking south from the Greek Theater.

I know it will never happen, but Harmon needs to be lowered by about three levels, and an addition of the same height added to the south to increase capacity.  The low slung engineering buildings along Dickson should be replaced with traditional buildings with pitched roofs, which would conceal the physical plant.  The biggest issue I have with the modernist defenders and the architectural school modernist snobs is that they choose to ignore completely the thoughts that went into choosing the campus location.  They will defend the preservation of ugly modernist boxes until the end of time to the detriment of views and good taste.

• 1 month later...

Don't think I've asked about this here:  awhile back I head that the UA bought a bunch of properties on Whitham, near Maple.  Anyone know what the university's planning, and when?

I saw an article about another parking garage being built in that area in the future.  I don't remember much about specifics or or if it was just a possible place for one.  My family owns the old rock 4 plex on the corner there and it was mentioned that it would have to be removed.

• 8 months later...

It seems the proposed executive hotel adjacent to the business school is on hold, pending new funding sources.  There was an article in the news today about it.  A few details were released about the design, one being that it is planned as a six-story building.  I'm sure it will be some modernist box, if it is ever built.  It sounded like a very expensive project per square foot.

It seems the proposed executive hotel adjacent to the business school is on hold, pending new funding sources.  There was an article in the news today about it.  A few details were released about the design, one being that it is planned as a six-story building.  I'm sure it will be some modernist box, if it is ever built.  It sounded like a very expensive project per square foot.

Yeah I read about that.  Sounds like the plan is to have it attached to the Harmon Ave parking garage.  It would also be on the side of that hill, so the building wouldn't be very imposing from the perspective of the center of campus. 

• 1 year later...

Archived