University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

I had heard that the clock at Old Main was supposed to have been finished already. But I'd noticed I hadn't heard anything. Turns out the clock installing is on hiatus. They realized that all the dust from the renovations going on at Old Main could cause problems with the clock installation. I haven't seen any new timetable on when they'll try to put the clock in now. There was an interesting article in the Morning News recently talking about the clock. Apparently there's only been 10 clocks made in the US since 1964. With the clock being put into Old Main being number 10. It's made by a family business and once the main person in the business retires, it could spell the end of large clocks being made in the US. Which could also mean that the Old Main clock could end up being the last big clock made in the US.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had heard that the clock at Old Main was supposed to have been finished already. But I'd noticed I hadn't heard anything. Turns out the clock installing is on hiatus. They realized that all the dust from the renovations going on at Old Main could cause problems with the clock installation. I haven't seen any new timetable on when they'll try to put the clock in now. There was an interesting article in the Morning News recently talking about the clock. Apparently there's only been 10 clocks made in the US since 1964. With the clock being put into Old Main being number 10. It's made by a family business and once the main person in the business retires, it could spell the end of large clocks being made in the US. Which could also mean that the Old Main clock could end up being the last big clock made in the US.

The clock has actually been installed for some time now...there was a big dedication already for it and everything...they are still working on Old Main to restore it, but the clock is installed...there are pictures on the UofA website, i'll see if i can't find them later.

The clock has actually been installed for some time now...there was a big dedication already for it and everything...they are still working on Old Main to restore it, but the clock is installed...there are pictures on the UofA website, i'll see if i can't find them later.

Hmm..the article I read said that the renovation could cause problems. Maybe it's in but they aren't able to 'tune' it or something till they finish the renovation, I don't know. I had heard that you'll be able to go inside and see it on the fourth floor. I'll have to eventually get some pics of that as well. I wonder when they'll be finished with the renovations to Old Main in general. I'd like to eventually get some pics of the outside without all the scaffolding.

If you look at your pictures of Old Main...the last picture that shows the south tower, if you look right above the plasic that is on the scaliting (spelling??) you'll see a lighter tan color thing and that is the clock..on uark.edu they did have pictures of the installation however I can't find them anywhere...but you can see it on the pictures of old main, just a little tough to see.

If you look at your pictures of Old Main...the last picture that shows the south tower, if you look right above the plasic that is on the scaliting (spelling??) you'll see a lighter tan color thing and that is the clock..on uark.edu they did have pictures of the installation however I can't find them anywhere...but you can see it on the pictures of old main, just a little tough to see.

Yeah actually I have posted pics of the clockface. They had that done I think in mid to late November, but the actually clock wasn't installed yet at that point. Since then they've covered it up as they work on it. I'll try to find out where I have one of those pics posted. Probably in my Pics of Fayetteville topic. Just have to go through quite a few pics to find it though. :D

Yeah actually I have posted pics of the clockface. They had that done I think in mid to late November, but the actually clock wasn't installed yet at that point. Since then they've covered it up as they work on it. I'll try to find out where I have one of those pics posted. Probably in my Pics of Fayetteville topic. Just have to go through quite a few pics to find it though. :D

OHHH...so the clock face is done...just not in inner parts? I didn't think about that...however it does look pretty nice, now they just need to do some renovations on some buildings and they need to tear down some budildings.

OHHH...so the clock face is done...just not in inner parts? I didn't think about that...however it does look pretty nice, now they just need to do some renovations on some buildings and they need to tear down some budildings.

I wish every building on campus would either reflect the style and materials of old main, or of the building immediately behind it and vol walker hall.

I hate the hodge podge of styles. I really wish the administration would focus a lot more on making good looking, timeless buildings instead of whats going on now.

I wish every building on campus would either reflect the style and materials of old main, or of the building immediately behind it and vol walker hall.

I hate the hodge podge of styles. I really wish the administration would focus a lot more on making good looking, timeless buildings instead of whats going on now.

I actually think it's great that many of the buildings at UofA reflect many great architectural styles. Are the students involved in the architecture of the University or do they just bring in outside architects?

I actually think it's great that many of the buildings at UofA reflect many great architectural styles. Are the students involved in the architecture of the University or do they just bring in outside architects?

I don't know if they use the students at all in any of the projects.

I understand wanting some diversity of styles on the campus. Its just a shame that there is so much BAD architecture on that campus when some of the buildings are absolutely stunning. Kimpel, Yocum, Reid, Hotz, HPER, all trash architecture to me.

I really like the renovation of the science building that brought the facade some class and made it more inline with Vol Walker and the Chemistry building. Prior to that renovation, that building was the ugliest on campus.

I really love the campuses of Hendrix and UCA. The newer buildings are virtually indistinguishable from the older buildings because of the consistency of theme. It really gives the campuses a sense of place.

I think thats a matter of personal taste.

I don't know if they use the students at all in any of the projects.

I understand wanting some diversity of styles on the campus. Its just a shame that there is so much BAD architecture on that campus when some of the buildings are absolutely stunning. Kimpel, Yocum, Reid, Hotz, HPER, all trash architecture to me.

I really like the renovation of the science building that brought the facade some class and made it more inline with Vol Walker and the Chemistry building. Prior to that renovation, that building was the ugliest on campus.

I really love the campuses of Hendrix and UCA. The newer buildings are virtually indistinguishable from the older buildings because of the consistency of theme. It really gives the campuses a sense of place.

I think thats a matter of personal taste.

I don't know how much of this topic you've read, but you express some of the same sentiments that Aporkalypse and I did about some of the unattractive archtitectural styles on the campus. The HPER is especially bleak. It's a shame that these ugly monstrosities stand besides some of the wonderful buildings.

I also agree that those two Conway schools have a fabulous sense of unity in a classic style.

Yeah I can understand the view of wanting a better overall architectural theme. But I don't seem to mind all the different architetural styles as much as some. I find it interesting to see so many different styles in one general area. I know some of them aren't exactly the greatest, but they do represent some styles that you may not see too much around NWA.

Yeah I can understand the view of wanting a better overall architectural theme. But I don't seem to mind all the different architetural styles as much as some. I find it interesting to see so many different styles in one general area. I know some of them aren't exactly the greatest, but they do represent some styles that you may not see too much around NWA.

Even if the buildings of various architectural styles were done in a fashion so that they used similar materials to reflect the materials of Old Main or Vol Walker, I think it would all look much better.

As much as I dislike the high rise dorms, even if they would have used the same red brick or tried to incorporate some of the other design elements of Old Main, they wouldn't be such an eyesore today. Same for Kimpel. If it were a red brick monolith, or one of the same type of stone used in Vol Walker, it would create some unity on the campus.

I don't know if some of the other NWA forumers heard, but Van Horn announced that Baum Stadium will be expanded to 10,000 chairback seats by 2007, possibly 12,000 by 2008 when Texas plays a series in Fayetteville which would easily make it the nation's largest college stadium.

There will be renovation and an addition of luxury boxes to what is already one of the nation's top 3 stadiums and some consider it the best.

I don't know if some of the other NWA forumers heard, but Van Horn announced that Baum Stadium will be expanded to 10,000 chairback seats by 2007, possibly 12,000 by 2008 when Texas plays a series in Fayetteville which would easily make it the nation's largest college stadium.

There will be renovation and an addition of luxury boxes to what is already one of the nation's top 3 stadiums and some consider it the best.

That is awesome. One thing is for certain about the UA athletic department. When they renovate or build new sports venues, they make them the best or next to best in the nation. Fayetteville is lucky to have so many great sports venues for a town its size.

If you're in NWA and haven't attended a spring baseball game at Baum, you're missing out on one of the most relaxing, fun activities in town.

Baseball games at Baum have replaced basketball games at Walton as my second favorite University sporting event to attend.

Are there any plans for rehabilitation of the larger high rise dorms on campus?

I really like what they did with the exterior renovation and addition to the science building (between the ENGR bldg and Greek Theater on dickson), and think that style would really make those high rise dorms a point of pride on campus.

It would be cool if we could find some kind of comprehensive master plan for campus.

Are there any plans for rehabilitation of the larger high rise dorms on campus?

I really like what they did with the exterior renovation and addition to the science building (between the ENGR bldg and Greek Theater on dickson), and think that style would really make those high rise dorms a point of pride on campus.

It would be cool if we could find some kind of comprehensive master plan for campus.

None that I know off.

I know that they are planning on building some more 4 story Dorms called the Maple Hill Dorms I think.

I knew they were doing work on the John McDonnell Field at the U of A, but I didn't realized just what it entailed. I drove by it earlier today and there's pretty much nothing left. Not the scoreboard, not the stands, not even the track itself. Apparently they are going to redo it all from the ground up.

I knew they were doing work on the John McDonnell Field at the U of A, but I didn't realized just what it entailed. I drove by it earlier today and there's pretty much nothing left. Not the scoreboard, not the stands, not even the track itself. Apparently they are going to redo it all from the ground up.

I remember hearing something about this.

I thought I heard a track facility was going to be built with a capacity of up to 10,000, which would make it one of the best tracks in the Nation and the best in the SEC.

I remember hearing something about this.

I thought I heard a track facility was going to be built with a capacity of up to 10,000, which would make it one of the best tracks in the Nation and the best in the SEC.

That's great to hear. With the track program we have we really should have something better and something that matches the quality of our indoor center.

That's great to hear. With the track program we have we really should have something better and something that matches the quality of our indoor center.

They mentioned how much of an economic effect this could have on Fayetteville. With Regional Finals and hopefully Nationals and Olympic Trials, it's sure a good investment into Fayetteville.

They mentioned how much of an economic effect this could have on Fayetteville. With Regional Finals and hopefully Nationals and Olympic Trials, it's sure a good investment into Fayetteville.

Oh yeah I believe it. I mean even though track and field isn't exactly the most popular sport in this area. This area is becoming more associated with it because of John McDonnell. That and it also adds to having top class facilities as with the other sports.

Oh yeah I believe it. I mean even though track and field isn't exactly the most popular sport in this area. This area is becoming more associated with it because of John McDonnell. That and it also adds to having top class facilities as with the other sports.

Yeah, the World Class Weight Room, and Baum Stadium which is also going to expand. It's another great selling point the UofA can use for recruitment.

Archived