University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of their buildings aren't the most beautiful... the one above that one on the hill (Walton) and the one next to it (Kimpel) are profoundly ugly. But, I read in the paper a while back, the University is trying to make the architecture in sectors of campus blend more, instead of being really random like it evidently is now. So, since they're building next to ugly tan brick buildings, I guess the new ones have to be ugly tan brick buildings to blend. :D

A lot of their buildings aren't the most beautiful... the one above that one on the hill (Walton) and the one next to it (Kimpel) are profoundly ugly. But, I read in the paper a while back, the University is trying to make the architecture in sectors of campus blend more, instead of being really random like it evidently is now. So, since they're building next to ugly tan brick buildings, I guess the new ones have to be ugly tan brick buildings to blend. :D

I just happened to look up U of A on Wikipedia.com and found an interesting tidbit that the old movie "The Barbaric Beast of Boggy Creek, Part II" was filmed on location at the university. There's evidentally scenes of Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium with footage of an actual Razorbacks game and other locations of campus. I'm going to try to locate a copy of this movie just for the novelty of it. :D

are most of the new buildings going in on the south end of the campus?

Overall I guess there is more of a trend with most of the construction more in the southern parts of the campus. Although there's the construction going on just behind the Law Building.

I just happened to look up U of A on Wikipedia.com and found an interesting tidbit that the old movie "The Barbaric Beast of Boggy Creek, Part II" was filmed on location at the university. There's evidentally scenes of Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium with footage of an actual Razorbacks game and other locations of campus. I'm going to try to locate a copy of this movie just for the novelty of it. :D

:lol: Can't say I've heard of that one. I wonder how old it is and why I haven't heard anyone mention it before.

:lol: Can't say I've heard of that one. I wonder how old it is and why I haven't heard anyone mention it before.

It's actually part 3 in the Boggy Creek series and it was filmed in 1973. It would be interesting to see what the U of A was like in 1973 and then say "thank God it's not 1973 anymore." :D

It's actually part 3 in the Boggy Creek series and it was filmed in 1973. It would be interesting to see what the U of A was like in 1973 and then say "thank God it's not 1973 anymore." :D

I'm trying to imagine how small the stadium was back then. I think even before the last expansion it had been expanded in the late 70's early 80's.

Anyone sure if the MapleHill (I think that's the name) Residences has started construction yet?

Unless someone else has heard something I don't think so. The only other construction projects I've seen so far are other projects like the Band Building. I didn't have time to check out the whole campus but I thought I'd notice if some other construction was going on. Unless it's going to be in a spot I wasn't expecting.

^

I thought I remember hearing about how the UofA had about 200 construction projects going on right now. Of course most of those are probably on the smaller side.

Yeah and some of them are basically renovating existing buildings like the Chemistry Building.

Yeah and some of them are basically renovating existing buildings like the Chemistry Building.

That project is massive though.. taking what I think it the best looking building on campus (Old Main is nice too, but I meant of the regular buildings) and completely gutting it and redoing it so that it will be their best chem lab facility on campus. Sounds difficult, with an old building like that.

That project is massive though.. taking what I think it the best looking building on campus (Old Main is nice too, but I meant of the regular buildings) and completely gutting it and redoing it so that it will be their best chem lab facility on campus. Sounds difficult, with an old building like that.

Yeah they did something similar to the Old Engineering Building. Although I don't think they had as much money and didn't renovate it as much as they'd probably do it nowadays. Seems like maybe they did that back in the mid to late 80's.

I know the Law School was constructing an addition, anyone have any info. on that?

They're still working on it. I took a few pics but had a hard time getting any good shots. There's a lot of trees near there so you can't really get any shots of the whole thing. Then if you try to get closer shots there's the fence. I can try posting what little I have if there's interest.

I know it's going to be a stadium that will seat 10,000, and that it could potentially host Olympic Trials.

Yeah I'm really hoping that we can start hosting more track events with this facility. Also great to have John McDonnell's name attached to this facility as well for all he's done.

Our big screen at the stadium is apparently finally being passed up in size. To be honest I'm surprised it's taken this long for it to get passed up. The dimensions are 107X30 ft by the way. Apparently the Miami Dolphins just installed one 140X50 ft last month. But surpassing it will be a new one at the Texas, it will be 134X55 ft (despite the way the numbers look that is more square footage). Wouldn't you know it would be the Longhorns to pass us up.

Our big screen at the stadium is apparently finally being passed up in size. To be honest I'm surprised it's taken this long for it to get passed up. The dimensions are 107X30 ft by the way. Apparently the Miami Dolphins just installed one 140X50 ft last month. But surpassing it will be a new one at the Texas, it will be 134X55 ft (despite the way the numbers look that is more square footage). Wouldn't you know it would be the Longhorns to pass us up.

I think it's stupid to have a screen that big in the first place. They could just hand out wide angle binoculars to everyone in the stadium and save a fortune. But then I guess they wouldn't have those awesome replays. :D

• 1 month later...

Progress toward a more reliable and efficient national power grid is underway as the University of Arkansas begins construction on a National Center for Reliable Electric Power Transmission. The 7,000-sq-ft facility, being built at the Arkansas Research and Technology Park in south Fayetteville, will have 6.5 MW power capacity for testing components rated up to 15 kV.

This is said to be the only facility of its kind in the U.S., the center will house equipment and researchers who will design, test, and package purely electronic systems for future use in the nation

I think it's stupid to have a screen that big in the first place. They could just hand out wide angle binoculars to everyone in the stadium and save a fortune. But then I guess they wouldn't have those awesome replays. :D

Yup, I'd rather have a better coach.

Progress toward a more reliable and efficient national power grid is underway as the University of Arkansas begins construction on a National Center for Reliable Electric Power Transmission. The 7,000-sq-ft facility, being built at the Arkansas Research and Technology Park in south Fayetteville, will have 6.5 MW power capacity for testing components rated up to 15 kV.

This is said to be the only facility of its kind in the U.S., the center will house equipment and researchers who will design, test, and package purely electronic systems for future use in the nation

I also think I remember hearing about how a Nanotech company was looking at options in Western Fayetteville.

Aside from the current Nanotech company in Fayetteville (OceanNanotech?) that would be cool. Maybe if there are enough technology labs operating in Fayetteville there will someday be potential for technology manufacturing to follow.

Archived