University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is an outline of the new dorms being built off of Cleveland near the communist towers of Hotz and Reid. I took some pictures of the construction progress, but I haven't downloaded them yet and I plan to soon. I don't know how tall they will be, but someone said taller than the Northwest Quad ones that were built recently (there are 4 stories).

NewDormOnMap.JPG

Here is an outline of the new dorms being built off of Cleveland near the communist towers of Hotz and Reid. I took some pictures of the construction progress, but I haven't downloaded them yet and I plan to soon. I don't know how tall they will be, but someone said taller than the Northwest Quad ones that were built recently (there are 4 stories).

Is this another dorm project, seperate from the 4-story ones they are starting to build? I thought they were building some closer to the union. Maybe that is MapleHill? Can anyone clarify?

Is this another dorm project, seperate from the 4-story ones they are starting to build? I thought they were building some closer to the union. Maybe that is MapleHill? Can anyone clarify?

They are building maple hill dorm between Holtz and Reid, I don't know for sure how tall they are going to be. They just broke ground on them not too long ago, and they are just know doing dirt work. On the other hand there are two buildings in the middle of campus that are coming together quite nicely, that being the 4 story walton college grad building, and the 4 story jb hunt building for academic excellence.

They are building maple hill dorm between Holtz and Reid, I don't know for sure how tall they are going to be. They just broke ground on them not too long ago, and they are just know doing dirt work. On the other hand there are two buildings in the middle of campus that are coming together quite nicely, that being the 4 story walton college grad building, and the 4 story jb hunt building for academic excellence.

Ok, let me try my post again.

I have finally gotten my pics downloaded, I'm sorry it has taken so long and that they are outdated now. The first is just the north side of the construction site for the Maple Hill dorms. Today it appears they have paved the foundation on one. The picture was from last thursday. While I was there I took pictures of Fayetteville and the UA. The next three are those. The last pic you can see the building they are constructing for the business school (yellow boarders).

DSCN3202.JPG

DSCN3204.JPG

DSCN3205.JPG

DSCN3212.JPG

Thanks for posting the pics cowbreath. I was curious where were you exactly when you took those last three shots? Is that from somewhere in Hotz? That looks like a nice viewpoint from somewhere high.

I shot them in Hotz Hall. The ones of Fayetteville were from the 8th floor. Luckily I found a cleaning lady who let me into an office. The 9th floor is definititely a little better view, but when I made it there last year while they were remodeling some offices the windows were too dirty.

I shot them in Hotz Hall. The ones of Fayetteville were from the 8th floor. Luckily I found a cleaning lady who let me into an office. The 9th floor is definititely a little better view, but when I made it there last year while they were remodeling some offices the windows were too dirty.

Yeah I wish I could get up into Hotz sometime to get some pics. I fondly remember the views from the top floor back when it was a dorm. :D

Yeah I wish I could get up into Hotz sometime to get some pics. I fondly remember the views from the top floor back when it was a dorm. :D

Also, just to the North of the Maple hill project is the new engineering fraternity. The renderings are much better than their current building. The apperance of Cleveland will probably change alot with all these projects

Also, just to the North of the Maple hill project is the new engineering fraternity. The renderings are much better than their current building. The apperance of Cleveland will probably change alot with all these projects

Some steel showed up today and they have a crain in waiting to be setup.

Some steel showed up today and they have a crain in waiting to be setup.

I might have to stop by the campus again sometime, look around and take some pics for myself. Does anyone know if they've ever finished the work on Old Main. I've been wanting to get some shots of it with the new clock but without all the scaffolding.

I might have to stop by the campus again sometime, look around and take some pics for myself. Does anyone know if they've ever finished the work on Old Main. I've been wanting to get some shots of it with the new clock but without all the scaffolding.

Nope, Old Main still have scaffolding around it with construction trailers all around it.

Not sure if this should go under sports or UofA projects, but does anyone know if they plan to finish the south endzone of razorback stadium? It was supose to bring the capacity of the stadium from 72,000 to 80,000.

It was first brought up when they renovated the stadium about 6? years ago. It was kind of put on the backburner for "later"... whenever that is.

Not sure if this should go under sports or UofA projects, but does anyone know if they plan to finish the south endzone of razorback stadium? It was supose to bring the capacity of the stadium from 72,000 to 80,000.

It was first brought up when they renovated the stadium about 6? years ago. It was kind of put on the backburner for "later"... whenever that is.

I believe it has to do with demand of ticket sales. The UofA only normally sells out like 2 games a year if that in the past several years. This year will most likely be a little different and with season ticket sales as high as they are, they may start thinking about adding the south upper deck endzone.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove through the UofA yesterday and the new dorm is coming along quite well. It appears they are about to start work on the second floor of the building. I wish I would of had my camera. Also, the new business building and academic excellence building is coming along very nicely. I wish developers around NWA would get project done like the UofA does. It seems that they get buildings done in twice the time that say the legacy or other buildings take.

I drove through the UofA yesterday and the new dorm is coming along quite well. It appears they are about to start work on the second floor of the building. I wish I would of had my camera. Also, the new business building and academic excellence building is coming along very nicely. I wish developers around NWA would get project done like the UofA does. It seems that they get buildings done in twice the time that say the legacy or other buildings take.

Yeah I really need to swing by campus sometime to see how things are coming along. The Legacy is actually coming along at a good pace. I think it's the other developments that seem to be really lagging. I think the first development I heard about that was mentioned on here is the Renaissance Tower and look at it. All this time and all they've done is some ground work.

Two losing seasons probably are what put it in the back burner. If we start winning again we can sell those seats.

I don't really like the idea of an extra end zone deck. Those will be the worst seats in the house. I'd rather see us find a way to modify or tear down the Broyles Complex in order to start putting seats in the opposite end zone. I think it was poor planning to build an office building in the end zone of a major college football stadium.

Two losing seasons probably are what put it in the back burner. If we start winning again we can sell those seats.

I don't really like the idea of an extra end zone deck. Those will be the worst seats in the house. I'd rather see us find a way to modify or tear down the Broyles Complex in order to start putting seats in the opposite end zone. I think it was poor planning to build an office building in the end zone of a major college football stadium.

There are plans to add skyboxes in the north endzone along with modifying the Broyles center to allow more seating. Eventually the Broyles center has plans to move adjacent to the indoor facility. The long term plan would completely "bowl in" the stadium and allow for appx 100,000 seats. However, the first thing will be to add the upper seats in the south endzone. But I know Frank has been looking at adding the skyboxes in the north endzone sooner than most will expect. there is currentlly a waiting list for over 120 skyboxes so there is definetly the demand for it.

There are plans to add skyboxes in the north endzone along with modifying the Broyles center to allow more seating. Eventually the Broyles center has plans to move adjacent to the indoor facility. The long term plan would completely "bowl in" the stadium and allow for appx 100,000 seats. However, the first thing will be to add the upper seats in the south endzone. But I know Frank has been looking at adding the skyboxes in the north endzone sooner than most will expect. there is currentlly a waiting list for over 120 skyboxes so there is definetly the demand for it.

Glad to hear that.

Looks like the U of A will be testing out some 'green' roofs. A roof in an urban environment can be 20 to 30 degrees warmer than a country setting. They'll actually put in some drainage, gravel and soil and put plants on the roofs of a few of the buildings. Apparently this has been testing in some coastal areas but not an area like Arkansas. They'll use some sedum, a type of succulant plant, and some native plants and see how they hold up under the conditions. Sounds like a great idea. As this area becomes more urban it's going to develop more of a 'heat island'. It would be nice to have some ways to try to counter this effect.

Looks like the U of A will be testing out some 'green' roofs. A roof in an urban environment can be 20 to 30 degrees warmer than a country setting. They'll actually put in some drainage, gravel and soil and put plants on the roofs of a few of the buildings. Apparently this has been testing in some coastal areas but not an area like Arkansas. They'll use some sedum, a type of succulant plant, and some native plants and see how they hold up under the conditions. Sounds like a great idea. As this area becomes more urban it's going to develop more of a 'heat island'. It would be nice to have some ways to try to counter this effect.

This is actually done in alot of large metropolitan areas...The Barber Group is planning to have a green roof for the Westin in Nashville.

Archived