University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

This is actually done in alot of large metropolitan areas...The Barber Group is planning to have a green roof for the Westin in Nashville.

I think this is done to a certain degree but I had gotten the impression many roofs are only partly green. Although in the US this has been tried out already in coastal areas. Of course it's also been used in Europe and Japan. But I was under the impression that this hadn't been tried out much further inland away from the coast here in the US.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some more pictures of the dorm construction off of Cleveland near Hotz and Reid Halls. The first is from the west side. I should have taken another from the east side. As you can see it looks like it might house poultry instead of students so far. The steel beams they're using aren't as big as I would expect so I guess it won't be too high. The second shot is from Hotz Hall looking down at the north end of the construction.

DSCN3223.JPG

DSCN3224.JPG

Thanks for the picture updates cowbreath. :D

Good. No more Pomfrets on the UA campus. I like the more recently built dorms on the UA campus and the similar ones UAMS is building.

Is Pomfret the only dorm you have a problem with on campus? If so why it in particular?

Is Pomfret the only dorm you have a problem with on campus? If so why it in particular?

Pomfret is really nice compared to Yocum, Humpreys, Holtz and Reid. I know Holtz isn't a dorm anymore but its still a really big eye sore, especially since its like 8 floors tall.

Not really. There are a handful of buildings with that 60s utilitarian architectural style I can't stand. The problem is (was) even worse on the UAMS campus. I like high rises but you have to be careful about mixing styles with "modern" buildings on a college campus with historic buildings as you get a clash of styles down the road. Many college campuses had the vision to come up with master plans defining a set architectural style decades ago and UA didn't do that and you had eyesoress like Pomfret and Carlson Terrace clashing with the more traditional styles. The newer dorms actually fit in much better with Old Main and the rest of the campus.

Pomfret just stood out in my mind I guess because it's more visible.

Hmmm....are you sure you've got the right building? Pomfret sits at the bottom of the hill that most of the campus is on. Could you be referring more to Reid or Yocum?

I was talking about Pomfret. You can clearly see it from the football stadium and a lot of times they'll have signs hanging from the windows there. I had a friend that lived there as a freshman, though he got the hell out.

I was talking about Pomfret. You can clearly see it from the football stadium and a lot of times they'll have signs hanging from the windows there. I had a friend that lived there as a freshman, though he got the hell out.

Ah I see, I didn't think about seeing it from the football stadium. I guess I was thinking more in lines with the main part of the campus on the hill. I guess Pomfret doesn't bother me anymore than all the other tall dated dorms do.

Although it isn't the nicest place in the world, I lived there for two years and loved it. Pomfret is 10x's better then Yocum, and Humpreys

How was living in Yocum?

I didn't live there but I spent a lot of time there, and it had AC and it ok in side. The location is what's so great about Yocum, well that and the girls. Pomfret was nice because it had a big computer lab, a "great room", and a cafeteria. The cafeteria was great when it was raining, or cold outside and you could go down and eat without going outside.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard about the proposed Pratt Place Inn (7 Floor Inn) and 60 Seat Restaurant development on Markham Hill?

I've never even heard of Markham Hill. I see the article now in today's paper but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I see now, it's not an actual place on campus. It's an area west of the campus. I guess I also haven't heard about the historic Pratt House up there either. But Matt you're wrong on the floors. It's not going to be a seven floor inn. The inn would just be a seven rooms in the old histoic Pratt House. Then they'd also have some cottages and such around the area that could be rented as well. Sounds like they have 72 acres over there. Of course people will complain about this. But this sounds like a pretty modest development. To me it sounds like a good compromise. All that undeveloped land would be a very tempting site to a lot of developers who would do a lot more than what they're wanting to do.

Sorry this isn't project news but I don't think we have a topic that this fits real well under so I'm posting it here. The new outdoor track will host the NCAA tournament in 2009. The indoor trackwill also host the NCAA tournaments a couple of times in the upcoming years as well. Nice to see us being able to host it this frequently. But I think John McDonnell and the university deserve it.

Yes, hosting both the Indoor and Outdoor National Championships is a huge honor for the UofA.

I wonder if the facility is going to host Olympic Time-trials like some of the articles have said.

I imagine they're still trying. No idea when something like that might be announced.

Archived