Conservation in the Midlands

krazeeboi

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

An update: more than 15,000 acres have been committed to the Congaree, Wateree and Santee Basin Initiative task force, which was created by the SC Department of Natural Resources. Several property owners have agreed to conservation easements in exchange for tax breaks and financial incentives, donating a total of 15,335 acres. Total targeted acreage for conservation is 214,998.

Sounds like this is off to a great start. If we could have something similar happen in the Pee Dee/Grand Strand and the Upstate, we'd have all of the major metro areas of the state covered. I think this is a very important tool in controlling and managing growth, as well as in preserving regional quality of life.

An update: more than 15,000 acres have been committed to the Congaree, Wateree and Santee Basin Initiative task force, which was created by the SC Department of Natural Resources. Several property owners have agreed to conservation easements in exchange for tax breaks and financial incentives, donating a total of 15,335 acres. Total targeted acreage for conservation is 214,998.

Sounds like this is off to a great start. If we could have something similar happen in the Pee Dee/Grand Strand and the Upstate, we'd have all of the major metro areas of the state covered. I think this is a very important tool in controlling and managing growth, as well as in preserving regional quality of life.

From the articles I've read, it seems as though what's proposed for the Midlands is an official all-encompassing regional nature preserve, which has a more comprehensive conservation strategy than heritage trusts and the like. I say that because already-protected lands are being included in the proposed overall Midlands conservation region. I could be mistaken about that, but that's what I gathered.

Archived