Eastern NC

Lithuania

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I have been meaning to get around to take some pics, but i've been lazy I guess. I'll try and get out soon and get some pics to post.

Ok. Would you mind PMing me when you do? I only come to this forum on occasion since I mod for a few other threads. Thanks.

I think the nature of NC's beaches is its biggest asset. I talk to my friends here in SC constantly about how much I love the Outer Banks, especially south of US 158 through the NWR. To me, that's what a beach is supposed to be--absent of all the tourist traps and neon lights.

I think land area is a huge limitation to growth and development on the Outer Banks too. I mean, in some places the islands are barely a mile wide, if that. And unlike Myrtle Beach, which only has the Intracoastal Waterway between the barrier island and the mainland, the OBX has sounds to its immediate west.

Still, there's nothing like driving down NC 12 and seeing the ocean on one side and the sound on the other.

Whats funny is I saw an OBX sticker yesterday way out here in Vegas. I always used to wonder what OBX meant until I got close enough to see the small writing on them.

Lithuania,

Actually, it's pretty easy. I also have photobucket. Instead of using the top coding labeled URL try posting the bottom choice which has images tags - IMG. Bascially, everythings the same except at the front you have IMG and end with /IMG but enclose in brackets - [ ].

I've lived in NC since 1998 and during "early years" I've made some amateurish photos around Wilmington and the mountains:

http://www.northerncarolina.com/

I live in Hendersonville, NC (what a great place) and am considering moving to Sandhills pretty close (75 miles) to CLT just for a change, although I've already lived in Piedmont and on the coast, but I just seem unable to leave NC. Was really wanting to move to SC, OR and WA, but never made it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why can't we develop our beaches into places where people will WANT to come to. What do Myrtle and West Palm have that we don't have.

Honestly, I always thought that NC's attraction was that we weren't like Myrtle Beach. I rather prefer the relative lack of development of NC's beaches (although that is slowly changing). If you want the stripped out development of the "Grand Strand," take a trip down there--its not too far.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm from Greenville, and I have seen it grow tremendously when I was living there. But like a lot of projects there, its growth is mostly 1 story strip malls surrounded by parking lots in front of sprawling subdivisions, populated by out of state transplants looking for more bang for there buck. Although, that will be changing quite dramatically, when they began to develop the downtown/warehouse/university area. I'm not against development at all, but what I can't stand is the complicit nature of sprawling development, that doesn't infuse any mixed development or smart growth design elements. Its so easy to overlook smart growth in Eastern North Carolina, because there is literally thousands of acres of forest and farms, that developers eye as cheap land. So its up to the communities, particulary the county commisioners to develop comphrehensive zoning plans to keep growth near the cities and towns.

Part of the solution is zoning, but another way to preserve forest and agricultural land is of course that 1 Million Acre Conservation plan that that lame duck Governor Mike Easly talked about during his first campaign. Its not exactly his fault that it hasn't been implemented, because the N.C. General Assembly pretty much dismissed it. Another idea is to expand the Greenway Trail system throughout Eastern North Carolina, particularly near creeks, tributaries and rivers. This does double duty by protecting watersheds and providing an extensive recreation system. Some guy down in Kinston, was proposing building a park system along the Neuse River. Something like that would be good for Eastern North Carolina, if not the whole state.

I agree Urbanaturalist, it seems as if Eastern NC is a step behind the times when it comes to redevelopment. Greenville is trying to do things downtown...for example, Evans Street...and has held public forums for ideas for redevelopment in downtown.

Still, strip malls and subdivisions continue to be built away from town. I live of off Firetower Road, and it's a traffic nightmare these days.

Cheap land and space are preferred over the higher costs of dense development in town.

Archived