Article on South Elm, Greensboro

SouthJersey7

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of an urban retail village that would rival the Triad's largest malls is a great idea. It would attract more residential development downtown. The only problem is that there is a perception that the area is a high crime area. The crime really isnt bad at all but its just the perception developers will have to over come.

The idea of an urban retail village that would rival the Triad's largest malls is a great idea. It would attract more residential development downtown. The only problem is that there is a perception that the area is a high crime area. The crime really isnt bad at all but its just the perception developers will have to over come.

I agree it's kind of dumpy south of Lee st but hopefully that can be changed

• 2 weeks later...

They can start by cleaning up all the junk on S. Elm Street. There has been an old junk MacThrift Truck parked on the corner of Lewis and S. Elm for as long as I can remember, and there is all kinds of junk around there including a pile of old refrigerators. It looks like the city would enforce the owners to clean up that mess. Also the store on the corner of Lewis and S. Elm is full from the floor to the ceiling with nothing but junk. The building on the corner of MLK and S. Elm street is another example of a building that would be a great grocery store and it is filled up with junk. I live at Southside and I have been a little disappointed with the City of Greensboro's revitiliztion efforts. They can talk a big talk about revitilization, but I don't see the city doing anything. Sure they have a 12 million dollar Center City Park at the other end of Elm Street, but S. Elm Street is the area were all of the new condos and townhomes are being built. When are they going to make an effort to clean up this area including anything south of the railroad tracks. Starting with the railroad yard and working S. Elm to Lee street will take several years in itself to clean up. Lets clean up what we have before we move to another area. Cleaning up this area would draw more people across the railroad tracks making way for the expansion to the other side of Lee Street.

I think the problem with the city leaders is that they always seem to expect private investment to revitalize downtown. That does help alot but in order to see alot more progress, the city has to be more involved financially. I find it odd that city leaders are willing to spend money all day in areas outside of downtown especially on the more affluent areas on the west side of the city. But when it comes to downtown, city leaders don't want to put hardly any money into downtown. The Center-City park is being built by Non-Profits such as Action Greensboro and Downtown Greensboro, Inc. The city wouldn't even spend the money to build a downtown park thats only a little over 2 acres yet the city builds more expensive parks on the west side of town. The park is being given to the city and despite that there were still complaints from city leaders about financial upkeep. Some council members didnt want the city paying for the maintenance of the large elaborate water fountain thats being built in the park so DGI will pay for the maintenace. Alot of great things are indeed happening downtown but its time for the city to step up and get involved in more public/private partnerships. Thats what helps build neighborhoods like Southside and large scale projects that you see in cities like Charlotte.

Archived