Higher education in South Carolina

krazeeboi

Thats good to hear. What is this based on? I did a quick search on the CHE website and I coudln't find any current data. The data they have is only through 04-05. According to what I found, overall performance did rank Winthrop as #1, but USC Columbia was #2, followed very closely by Clemson (pretty much a tie).

This is why we don't like to cite wikipedia on UP. If you use it for info, thats cool- just find the source data to share with us.

Thats good to hear. What is this based on? I did a quick search on the CHE website and I coudln't find any current data. The data they have is only through 04-05. According to what I found, overall performance did rank Winthrop as #1, but USC Columbia was #2, followed very closely by Clemson (pretty much a tie).

This is why we don't like to cite wikipedia on UP. If you use it for info, thats cool- just find the source data to share with us.

On the Winthrop website, the overal rating for Winthrop has been #1 for the past 3 years. This past year Clemson was #2. Sorry didn't know you guys did not like Wiki! I just saw this entire thread no one mentioned Winthrop at all, it is a really good school as you can see with #1 overall performance in the state, just thought I would share.

Edited by kyley5

Oh, speaking of Winthrop, I found a digital copy of the Winthrop master plan for campus reorganization on my hard drive. I don't remember where I got it, so I can't link to it, but here it is anyhow as any attachment.

This is probably the biggest reorganization of campus at least in the last 70 years, if not ever.

Winthrop_MasterPlan.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, U.S. News & World Report came out with their annual rankings for the nation's top colleges and universities. Of note:

-Clemson continues to climb in the rankings, up to #27 in the public school rankings (#30 last year) and #67 overall (#70 last year). This is Clemson's highest ranking to date.

-University of South Carolina-Columbia came in at #112 overall

-South Carolina State University - Tier 3 (schools in this category were unranked)

I tried to find liberal arts rankings (Furman, Wofford, etc.) but did not find any. Perhaps they are released at another time?

Last week, U.S. News & World Report came out with their annual rankings for the nation's top colleges and universities. Of note:

-Clemson continues to climb in the rankings, up to #27 in the public school rankings (#30 last year) and #67 overall (#70 last year). This is Clemson's highest ranking to date.

-South Carolina State University - Tier 3 (schools in this category were unranked)

I tried to find liberal arts rankings (Furman, Wofford, etc.) but did not find any. Perhaps they are released at another time?

They were all released last week.

College of Charleston, Winthrop, The Citadel, Converse, Presbyterian, etc. were ranked in one category or another:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....index_brief.php

Here was a front page Greenville News article from last week: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2007708170323

There are a ton of categories, so some of those other schools are in weird locations, so I can see where you got your information.

Liberal Arts Colleges

Furman University #37

Wofford College #59

Presbyterian College #106

Baccalaureate Colleges (South)

Erskin College #2

Clafflin University #10

Coker College #14

USC Aiken #26

Anderson University #34

USC Upstate #36

Lander University #41

Newberry College #43

Universities-Master's (South)

The Citadel #5

College of Charleston #8

Converse College #14

Winthrop #25

Columbia College #45

Top Universities (National - Public & Private)

Clemson #67 (27 public)

USC Columbia #112 (54 public)

SC State and Francis Marion are considered Tier 3 nationally by this report, so they are not ranked. Coastal Carolina University is considered Tier 4 and is also not ranked. They don't rank two-year colleges. MUSC is also not ranked for some reason. There were 1400 college and universities that boycotted the report this year, so maybe MUSC was one of them?

USC came in at #54 in the ranking of public institutions. Furman's president is decrying the rankings criteria and method. And he's not the only one.

USC came in at #54 in the ranking of public institutions. Furman's president is decrying the rankings criteria and method. And he's not the only one.

Colleges are notorious for being close to any kind of public introspective. Are the rankings criteria flawed, sure, I'd be surprised if they weren't. But I'll take that over what Dr. Shi and many other prefer when it comes to putting sunshine on their institutions.

There are a ton of categories, so some of those other schools are in weird locations, so I can see where you got your information.

Liberal Arts Colleges

Furman University #37

Wofford College #59

Presbyterian College #106

Baccalaureate Colleges (South)

Erskin College #2

Clafflin University #10

Coker College #14

USC Aiken #26

Anderson University #34

USC Upstate #36

Lander University #41

Newberry College #43

Universities-Master's (South)

The Citadel #5

College of Charleston #8

Converse College #14

Winthrop #25

Columbia College #45

Top Universities (National - Public & Private)

Clemson #67 (27 public)

USC Columbia #112 (54 public)

SC State and Francis Marion are considered Tier 3 nationally by this report, so they are not ranked. Coastal Carolina University is considered Tier 4 and is also not ranked. They don't rank two-year colleges. MUSC is also not ranked for some reason. There were 1400 college and universities that boycotted the report this year, so maybe MUSC was one of them?

Thanks for posting the other rankings I had trouble finding, Spartan. We really do have a nice variety of colleges and universities in our fair state. :)

I did not know that The Citadel was ranked so highly in the Universities-Master's category. Same for College of Charleston.

With regard to MUSC, I am not sure why it is not ranked. It is mostly graduate and professional, with perhaps a bachelor's degree in nursing. So it makes sense that it would not be included with regular four-year universities. You can usually find it ranked among the nation's best hospitals for cardiac and gastrointestinal issues. In fact, I believe it was recently ranked #2 in the nation in terms of heart transplant success rate.

Also, USC is ranked #1 in undergraduate international business, and the undergraduate business school is #41 overall. They also are recognized for their freshmen retention course.

Which list is that for undergraduate business. The only one I see is this one : http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/07/un...ndex.html#south

I wasn't talking about international undergraduate business. I was asking about undergraduate business since someone put that ranking up and I couldnt find it.

Oh. I read that in "The State." I'll find it when I get a chance and post it. Or I'll find it in the rankings themselves. In the meantime, here's an article from the Greenville News about a better type of college rankings list, because it measures the institutions' contributions to the betterment of the nation.

http://www.thegreenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS03/70822010

I still can't find where it said USC was #54 in public universities, but for that matter I can't find a list on US News & World Report's website that has Clemson as #27. But here is an article from "The State" that includes a #41 ranking (up from #50) for USC's business school overall.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...&p_docnum=1

Edited by CorgiMatt

I still can't find where it said USC was #54 in public universities, but for that matter I can't find a list on US News & World Report's website that has Clemson as #27. But here is an article from "The State" that includes a #41 ranking (up from #50) for USC's business school overall.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...&p_docnum=1

The public school rankings aren't available for free. But USC and Clemson's ranking were both discussed in an article in most major newspapers across the state.

Clemson and USC are major research institutions, and CofC or Winthrop would have a loong way to go to catch up. CofC and MUSC could to team up to take care of that for Charleston's sake.

I heard that MUSC, Citadel, and CofC were considering a combination at one point to have a larger university in Charleston but that kinda fizzled out..