Higher education in South Carolina

krazeeboi

Even in this economy the University of South Carolina's grants for research are up compared to last year. It is a reflection of the quality of research going on at USC and of the caliber of faculty applying for the grants.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news...last-year?rss=0

This is one of the gems in USC's crown that I don't think gets a lot of publicity--but it's also now in danger in light of the budget cuts. Some of the same faculty who are working hard to get grants are the same ones who may be on the chopping block in the next round of budget cuts. Fewer faculty, particularly in health sciences, means fewer grant applications--and that affects not just the faculty, but those project managers, research associates, and other support staff. Not to mention that even the grant awards are being reduced by funders. It's a tough time to be on soft money. But kudos to USC for continuing to make progress in getting grant awards.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Today USC will announce the largest research grant in the history of the institution. A $12.5 million grant will be used for energy-related nanotechnology research at the Energy Frontier Research Center. This is huge for putting S.C. on the map for new energy research and development, which is one of this nation's and the world's most important fields of research.

Note: USC's website says it's one of the largest grants in the University's history, not the largest. But it says it is the largest grant in that college's history. Also, the grant is prestigous in that it was one of only 15 announced by the White House.

• 2 months later...

The Greenville-Clemson bond is growing. University President Jim Barker says plans are still in the works to located the school's MBA program in downtown Greenville. They're currently trying to secure a Main Street address for their 270 MBA students' classes.

Don't forget the Renaissance Center, also located in Greenville's downtown.

Indeed! If I remember correctly, their location in the Liberty building was to be only a temporary home. I assume the addition of other operations in the CBD will mean combining these programs at the same address. I guess another possible location could very well be Main @ Broad, too. The Greenville Journal said we could expect to hear some announcements about that building sometime this summer...

• 3 weeks later...

The National Science Foundation has awarded South Carolina $20 million to establish an alliance in the field of biofabrication, which could lead to the production of human organs.

The colleges involved are:

Clemson University

Medical University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina

Claflin University

S.C. State University

Voorhees College

Furman University

USC-Beaufort

Denmark Tech

Greenville Tech

Link

This is pretty huge and it's great to see such a wide array of schools participating, but I must say that I'm disappointed that none of the Pee Dee/Grand Strand schools are included (Francis Marion, Coastal Carolina, etc.). Although I would imagine that the statewide tissue biofabrication center to be created would be established in Columbia (central location) or Charleston (lead scientist for the project is at MUSC), it would be good to at least see Francis Marion or Coastal considered as a location. The Pee Dee is the only region of the state without a research institution, and something like this would certainly help raise the research profiles of those schools.

I thought that the Tech school's inclusion was unusual. Typically "research" is outside of their mission, so I'm curious to know what their role is in the overall process. USC-Beaufort falls in that same category even though it's a 4 year campus.

Ok, I checked out the press releases on some of the school's websites. The press release provides more information about what this grant will actually involve:

[*]Expansion of a current Medical University of South Carolina bioprinting program into a statewide Advanced Tissue Biofabrication center;

[*]Recruitment of 22 new faculty members with expertise not currently available in South Carolina;

[*]Creation of a global e-community to facilitate the development of sophisticated databases in vascular technology;

[*]Establishment of national and international academic industrial collaborations and the integration of statewide initiatives for workforce development, education and communication to the general public; and

[*]Integration of the alliance

• 3 weeks later...