Higher education in South Carolina

krazeeboi

• 2 months later...

I came across this report on the New York Times about MSA's with the highest amount of college degrees. Some call it cities with "brain-gain."

In South Carolina, Charleston leads the way:

30. Charleston

43. Columbia

68. Greenville (3-way tie with Jacksonville, FL and Sarasota, FL)

Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.c...ehind.html?_r=1

Here's the list: http://www.nytimes.c...etro-areas.html

It's interesting form several standpoints.

Greenville is in close proximity to Clemson and USC Upstate plus dozens of other smaller colleges in the Upstate area. I wonder if not having a 4-year institution (not counting the University Center) would change their position?

Columbia is easily explainable since there is Carolina and 4 other colleges in the city (5 if you include Midlands Tech) and there and plenty of businesses of all sides to keep graduates in town and attract people from other places.

Charleston is the most interesting. Between MUSC, the Citadel, and CofC, they are well represented from a higher education standpoint. My theory is that Charleston is such an attractive place to live with arguably the highest quality of life in South Carolina that the people who go to school there tend to stay, and people who went to school elsewhere tend to want to move there. (I know that's the case for me, if I could find a job).

What's interesting is that with all the brain gain in Charleston, will its economy evolve in to a more creative/ high tech/ knowlwedge-based economy over time, or will it continue to be a place where people go to live the salt life for a few years before moving on with their lives.

It would be interesting to know the total number of undergraduate college students in each of the state's major metros and what percentage of the metro populations they make up, since these students are counted as part of the population that doesn't have a college degree.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I don't think Charleston is really doing anything special; it's just being the unique and special place that it is.

Which, ultimately, is what Greenville is trying to do by heavily investing in its growing trail system, urban infrastructure, expanding park system, and supporting projects like the $20+ million Peace Center renovation, $20+ million Reedy Square, Piazza Bergamo and "NoMa Square" redevelopments, and creating a brand that will BE Greenville.

Which, ultimately, is what Greenville is trying to do by heavily investing in its growing trail system, urban infrastructure, expanding park system, and supporting projects like the $20+ million Peace Center renovation, $20+ million Reedy Square, Piazza Bergamo and "NoMa Square" redevelopments, and creating a brand that will BE Greenville.

True, but what also works in Charleston's favor is that the city itself is already a center of higher ed with CofC, MUSC, The Citadel, and Charleston Southern. That, combined with the history, location, and natural allure, are all combining for a perfect storm that very few cities can replicate.

True, but what also works in Charleston's favor is that the city itself is already a center of higher ed with CofC, MUSC, The Citadel, and Charleston Southern. That, combined with the history, location, and natural allure, are all combining for a perfect storm that very few cities can replicate.

Right. Even though Greenville cannot magically produce several colleges to expose itself to on a daily basis, it CAN invest in itself to attract people, much in a similar fashion as Charleston is able to attract people who did NOT attend college in the City.

http://www.gsabusine...ineering-center

Clemson expanding it's Charleston footprint at the Navy base with another Engineering School in the mold of ICAR.

I'm a big fan of anything that will further the development process at the old Navy base. This seems very consistent with the other investments Clemson has made in the Charleston area (architecture program, etc).

Right. Even though Greenville cannot magically produce several colleges to expose itself to on a daily basis, it CAN invest in itself to attract people, much in a similar fashion as Charleston is able to attract people who did NOT attend college in the City.

Yes, but the difference in Charleston's case is that it doesn't really need to work hard to build stuff to make itself a destination. It has several built-in advantages and now the economy there is starting to blossom. It's just a completely different dynamic than other cities.

Yes, but the difference in Charleston's case is that it doesn't really need to work hard to build stuff to make itself a destination. It has several built-in advantages and now the economy there is starting to blossom. It's just a completely different dynamic than other cities.

I'm not refuting that. Either I am not being clear, or you are missing my point... What I mean is that Charleston has done very well creating what it is today, everything from the built environment to the intangible, romanticized elements. And, I think it's safe to acknowledge those and say that they are paying off in regards to college graduate attraction and retention.

Greenville is not trying to duplicate Charleston, but trying to find a formula to produce numbers akin to what Charleston is able to attract. The city has never identified Charleston as a role model, but I think Charleston has done a good job.

Edited by GvilleSC

I'm not refuting that. Either I am not being clear, or you are missing my point... What I mean is that Charleston has done very well creating what it is today, everything from the built environment to the intangible, romanticized elements. And, I think it's safe to acknowledge those and say that they are paying off in regards to college graduate attraction and retention.

Greenville is not trying to duplicate Charleston, but trying to find a formula to produce numbers akin to what Charleston is able to attract. The city has never identified Charleston as a role model, but I think Charleston has done a good job.

OK, I gotcha.

Two questions. Who are Greenville's role models (what cities)? What is the personality of Greenville......what is the overall image Greenville is marketing....trying to broadcast? Seems a bit muddled lately.

Two questions. Who are Greenville's role models (what cities)? What is the personality of Greenville......what is the overall image Greenville is marketing....trying to broadcast? Seems a bit muddled lately.

I think the first question would be an interesting one to pose to Mayor White. I don't know.

As for the second: I think Greenville is very much still developing its "brand" (which is not a static thing, but should be dynamic and evolving), but I think one can look at where the City is investing and resultantly gather some idea of what image Greenville might market in the future.

Don't forget about USC Upstate growing at University Center, USC medical school at Greenville Memorial Hospital, and the expanding USC along with Clemson business schools downtown. All of those will help retain and grow the number of college graduates living in Greenville.

Two questions. Who are Greenville's role models (what cities)?

Mid-large cities such as Austin and Raleigh from what I have heard.

Edited by citylife

Mid-large cities such as Austin and Raleigh from what I have heard.

One role model is San Antonio. Greenville's leaders studied that city extensively while planning for a vibrant urban district featuring pedestrian-friendly waterfront amenities. Another similarity — which actually is included as part of the overall marketability/brand — is the public-private cooperation and a shared vision for improvement of quality living within the community.