Higher education in South Carolina

krazeeboi

I refer to them as the illegitimate USC, but I mostly try to call them Southern California, which is what they are. Its bad enough we must contend with North Carolina for the rightful "Carolina" name. There is no question that we are the true USC. We got started before they even California even existed.

I refer to them as the illegitimate USC, but I mostly try to call them Southern California, which is what they are. Its bad enough we must contend with North Carolina for the rightful "Carolina" name. There is no question that we are the true USC. We got started before they even California even existed.

There is only one true "Carolina" team, and it is located in Charlotte, the only true Carolina city. I have been extremely put out by the USC folks removing South from their name, when that is the essence of where they are located. USC is in the heart of South Carolina, not Carolina. The name University of South Carolina should be something to be proud of, not regected and replaced with a more generic name people get confused with other teams. It baffles me to no end, and I get disgusted with it at times. <_<

There is only one true "Carolina" team, and it is located in Charlotte, the only true Carolina city. I have been extremely put out by the USC folks removing South from their name, when that is the essence of where they are located. USC is in the heart of South Carolina, not Carolina. The name University of South Carolina should be something to be proud of, not regected and replaced with a more generic name people get confused with other teams. It baffles me to no end, and I get disgusted with it at times. <_<

Perhaps. All I know is that in any state other than SC, if I say I went Carolina I am frequently misunderstood as North Carolina. Its amazing the difference between this version Carolina and this version of Carolina. The mistaken identity with Southern California is less frequent, and usually depends on who I am dealing with, and where they are from. That said, Skyliner, you should know that I am a proud Gamecock, and proud alumni of the University of South Carolina! :D

• 3 weeks later...

An editorial in The State speaks of a panel organized by Gov. Sanford to provide a comprehensive plan for SC's higher education system. It makes some good points, including Sanford's desire to put a cap on tuition for state colleges and universities while at the same time cutting funds for our institutions of higher education. It also talks about a possible board of regents being established that I discussed on one of these threads around here.

Would that be the USC in L.A., or the other one? :silly:

That would be the REAL USC (oldest, first) in Columbia.

University of South Carolina, Columbia

Faber Entrepreneurship Center

1st Tier - National

Columbia, SC

http://www.sc.edu

Program Established: 1975

# of Faculty: 15

# of Courses: 17

Tuition Undergraduate Graduate

In State $5,600 $15,000

Out of State $15,000 $25,000

The only problem with Sanford's plan to cap tuition and cut funding is that school quality will suffer. How is it that Sanford gets to decide how good or bad our state's schools are? After all, he doesn't seem to have a pulse on what is going on, especially if his track record is any indication. With that said, I agree that something needs to be done, but capping tuition and cutting funding doesn't seem to be the answer.

An editorial in The State speaks of a panel organized by Gov. Sanford to provide a comprehensive plan for SC's higher education system. It makes some good points, including Sanford's desire to put a cap on tuition for state colleges and universities while at the same time cutting funds for our institutions of higher education. It also talks about a possible board of regents being established that I discussed on one of these threads around here.

That is cool, and yet not entirely suprising. Since UP has been started we have seen more and more of this type of thing. I am starting to think of it as the "UrbanPlanet effect" - where we come up with the brilliant ideas and other people implement them :)

I came across some interesting stats about selectivity from the EdRef College Search Directory (www.edref.com). The stats are from 2002, and while the stats have probably changed somewhat since then (e.g., Clemson's average SAT of accepted students has gone up 20-30 points since 2002), the numbers still offer an interesting point of comparison.

Here are the percentage of applicants who were admitted at some of South Carolina's institutions:

Clemson - 51.8% of applicants were admitted

Furman - 58.4% of applicants were admitted

College of Charleston - 59.6% of applicants were admitted

Wofford - 67% of applicants were admitted

Erskine - 68.5% of applicants were admitted

South Carolina-Columbia - 69.7% of applicants were admitted

Anderson - 73.4% of applicants were admitted

Coastal Carolina - 74.2% of applicants were admitted

Winthrop - 74.5% of applicants were admitted

Francis Marion - 75.5% of applicants were admitted

Presbyterian College - 78.7% of applicants were admitted

Citadel - 82.8% of applicants were admitted

Lander - 86.6% of applicants were admitted

North Greenville - 87.2% of applicants were admitted

• 6 months later...

New rankings have been released by US News & World Report. Kudos to Clemson for getting closer to reaching their goal of being a Top 20 public institution in the nation.

Here's how our schools ranked in various subcategories.

Top public comprehensive colleges in the South: The University of South Carolina Aiken was first; USC Upstate in Spartanburg was third

Highest graduation rate: Claflin University in Orangeburg was second in the South at 68 percent.

Nation

This article is almost a year old, but it discusses SAT scores and admissions at Clemson, Furman, and USC:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/12/2...04122855812.htm

One key quote from the article:

"Students can expect their applications to get a hard look if they score below 1130 at Clemson University, 800 at USC or 1200 at Furman University, according to the schools."

I think that article is a bit misleading. While one might get into a USC branch campus, if they are from in-state, a student won't be considered at USC-Columbia with an 800 on the SAT.

• 1 month later...

Here are the panel's findings, which essentially says that the state has no strategic plan for higher education, and the governor and Legislature should establish a committee to draft one. The panel, which began meeting in May, made no further specific recommendations, but raised questions about the cost of a college education, duplication of services, access to state universities, and the quality of a South Carolina college education. It was also stated that such a plan should include oversight by a body or bodies to enforce the strategic plan, which the editorial board at The State highly recommends.

I came across some interesting stats about selectivity from the EdRef College Search Directory (www.edref.com). The stats are from 2002, and while the stats have probably changed somewhat since then (e.g., Clemson's average SAT of accepted students has gone up 20-30 points since 2002), the numbers still offer an interesting point of comparison.

Here are the percentage of applicants who were admitted at some of South Carolina's institutions:

Clemson - 51.8% of applicants were admitted

Furman - 58.4% of applicants were admitted

College of Charleston - 59.6% of applicants were admitted

Wofford - 67% of applicants were admitted

Erskine - 68.5% of applicants were admitted

South Carolina-Columbia - 69.7% of applicants were admitted

Anderson - 73.4% of applicants were admitted

Coastal Carolina - 74.2% of applicants were admitted

Winthrop - 74.5% of applicants were admitted

Francis Marion - 75.5% of applicants were admitted

Presbyterian College - 78.7% of applicants were admitted

Citadel - 82.8% of applicants were admitted

Lander - 86.6% of applicants were admitted

North Greenville - 87.2% of applicants were admitted

I have heard that Clemson is now around 25% ... at least that's what they told me.

I have heard that Clemson is now around 25% ... at least that's what they told me.

I'm not sure if a great comparison can be made on the institutions based on % accepted.

82% admitted into The Citadel, sure it's a regional public university, but at the same time, you don't really apply there unless you know what you are getting into.

87% admitted into North Greenville - again, the campus is in transition to grow larger, so they are admittedly less selective about admissions. That may change in the next 10 years or so.

I'm a little bit suprised at Presbyterian's 78% admission rate, it's not an easy school. Though it is small enough, as a regional liberal arts college (rather than a national one like Furman), that those that apply to it, probably know what they are getting into.