Higher education in South Carolina

krazeeboi

^USC has one of the best international business programs in the nation and ranks very highly in that category every year in the US News & World Report ranking. The Moore School of Business was ranked No. 1 in US News & World Report in undergraduate international business, a spot it has held since 1995, and No. 1 in graduate international business among top public universities. It was also ranked No. 35 in the "50 Best MBA Schools for Getting Hired" by CNNMoney.com. The Financial Times of London recently ranked the Moore School's MBA-level programs 72nd among the world's top 100 full-time MBA programs. I thought it was common knowledge in higher educational circles in SC that USC has a really good business school.

USC is featured on the website of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education for being a leading institution for sustainable practices in design. http://uscnews.sc.edu/ADMN_Web010.html

There's a beautiful picture of South Quad and a link to USC on the website.

Edited by CorgiMatt

^USC has one of the best international business programs in the nation and ranks very highly in that category every year in the US News & World Report ranking. The Moore School of Business was ranked No. 1 in US News & World Report in undergraduate international business, a spot it has held since 1995, and No. 1 in graduate international business among top public universities. It was also ranked No. 35 in the "50 Best MBA Schools for Getting Hired" by CNNMoney.com. The Financial Times of London recently ranked the Moore School's MBA-level programs 72nd among the world's top 100 full-time MBA programs. I thought it was common knowledge in higher educational circles in SC that USC has a really good business school.

That doesn't say much for the rest of USC's undergraduate business program, if despite their highly ranked undergraduate international business program their overall business program is still ranked #88. I guess I was just surprised because I have always heard about how great USC's business program is supposed to be. This study suggests that it's fairly poor aside from the international business program. :unsure:

That doesn't say much for the rest of USC's undergraduate business program, if despite their highly ranked undergraduate international business program their overall business program is still ranked #88. I guess I was just surprised because I have always heard about how great USC's business program is supposed to be. This study suggests that it's fairly poor aside from the international business program. :unsure:

My original comment wasn't specific as to undergraduate vs. graduate business programs. I simply asked why was it that SC's business climate isn't as favorable as those of other states given the strong business programs (whether undergrad or grad) at Clemson and USC. At any rate, I wouldn't just take one ranking for gospel when it comes to something like this which has several indicators.

My original comment wasn't specific as to undergraduate vs. graduate business programs. I simply asked why was it that SC's business climate isn't as favorable as those of other states given the strong business programs (whether undergrad or grad) at Clemson and USC. At any rate, I wouldn't just take one ranking for gospel when it comes to something like this which has several indicators.

Maybe it gets back to the concept of retaining more SC graduates. I would be interested to know how many graduates of SC business schools stay in-state after graduation. And if not, why not?

^We could probably actually extend that to several fields where our schools tend to excel. For example, it would be especially disheartening to see students get engineering and agricultural sciences degrees at Clemson just to leave the state. I wouldn't know where to look for data like that however. Maybe that's something Greenville Forward can look into if they do another survey like they did a few months back.

I agree. Hopefully future Greenville Forward studies will improve upon the one they did recently. It was not a bad study, but as we discussed it would have ideally included a few more schools.

What is interesting to me is that Clemson doesn't really focus on agriculture that much anymore. There are still programs of study in agriculture, but it is not a focus (or really even a major strength) like it used to be. I would consider engineering, architecture, business, education, and the sciences as CU's strengths/emphasis areas more than agriculture these days. It's interesting how priorities shift with the passage of time and the changing needs of society.

^This is true, but I do hope that Clemson keeps a strong agricultural sciences program. It's still a very important field and I've always liked that Clemson emphasized that, with a strong statewide focus at that. I think people will rediscover the importance to relying more on locally-grown foods if we keep having as many recalls and E. coli outbreaks as we've been having lately.

^This is true, but I do hope that Clemson keeps a strong agricultural sciences program. It's still a very important field and I've always liked that Clemson emphasized that, with a strong statewide focus at that. I think people will rediscover the importance to relying more on locally-grown foods if we keep having as many recalls and E. coli outbreaks as we've been having lately.

Clemson University is definitely the agricultural and horticultural education leader in this state. They recently began a new collaboration with The Cliffs Communities of Greenville. They are designing and maintaining a new botanical garden at Gary Player's new magnificent development, The Cliffs at Mountain Park. Another collaboration in the development is an organic farm that will be used to provide Cliffs dining venues with fresh and pesticide-free fruits and vegetables. :shades:

Edited by Skyliner

• 2 months later...

I agree. Hopefully future Greenville Forward studies will improve upon the one they did recently. It was not a bad study, but as we discussed it would have ideally included a few more schools.

What is interesting to me is that Clemson doesn't really focus on agriculture that much anymore. There are still programs of study in agriculture, but it is not a focus (or really even a major strength) like it used to be. I would consider engineering, architecture, business, education, and the sciences as CU's strengths/emphasis areas more than agriculture these days. It's interesting how priorities shift with the passage of time and the changing needs of society.

Clemson's ag. program has had declining numbers of students for several decades, mostly because demand for graduates has lessened.

While there is greater specification in agricultural industries, that only means that there are less demands for generalists in the various fields. Farming as a profession quit growing in South Carolina years ago. Organic farms, etc., tend to be mere novelties, but because of the higher income groups with the discretionary income to afford it, the profit margin tends to be higher, as does the greatest growth area for ag. majors - nurseries and golf courses.

Interesting indeed considering that Clemson's charter and its founding as a land grant, A&M mandated an agricultural component to its curricula.

• 2 months later...

LOL - must be missing some logic here. Is there some connection to the link above and some historical comment by the WSJ?

The correct word would be historic, but the WSJ called it up-and-coming just last year, and I can assure you USC hasn't gone downhill since then. But you already know that, I'm sure.

^I think he was referring to the fact that the link you posted isn't about the story you referenced.

It's related in that one big reason people are giving more to USC is that they believe in it; it is an up and comer and they know it. It's not just that they love the institution.

Claflin University can add another national ranking to its list of rankings over the years. This time, it is the third-best among private colleges and universities in terms of top value, according to Consumers Digest Magazine. One hundred colleges and universities from some 3,800 U.S. schools were ranked as the top values by Consumers Digest Magazine. The rankings are based on attributes that validate or define the institutions' academic prowess factored against annual cost of tuition and room-and-board. Among 25 private institutions, Claflin was ranked third behind Brigham Young-Hawaii with top honors and Trinity College of Florida at second. Greenville's Furman University was ranked fifth among private liberal arts schools.

So in the midst of overall tuition increases at our public universities, the Legislature is now talking about reducing LIFE scholarships due to increased demand and a decrease in revenue (largely due to competition from the NC lottery). Talk about adding insult to injury.

This is ridiculous. That's all I'm saying before I start ranting.

According to the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, Winthrop University was named the top ranked University in the state according to evaulations done this past year. Clemson was 2nd. I believe this has been put on Winthrops wikipedia page as well and all over there website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winthrop_University

As well as 8th public university in the SouthEast by US News and World Report. Great pub for Winthrop.

Edited by kyley5