Higher education in South Carolina

krazeeboi

Thats interesting, because I've heard the same thing about Clemson too. There is a lot of pressure on both schools and MUSC as the major research institutions in the state to get those research grants and produce. I think overall that it just depends on the professors you get. Some of them are just not good at teaching.

Thats interesting, because I've heard the same thing about Clemson too. There is a lot of pressure on both schools and MUSC as the major research institutions in the state to get those research grants and produce. I think overall that it just depends on the professors you get. Some of them are just not good at teaching.

I think that is a result of the fact that many professors are researchers first and teachers second (I have especially noticed this at the graduate/medical school levels, and not so much at the undergraduate level). Many professors only teach because it is a mandatory part of their research contract with the school, rather than teaching students because they enjoy it or are good at it. To complicate matters, they usually have zero background in education. They do not know how to relay information to students in a way that it is clearly understood. So students are left to teach themselves the material on many occasions. I do not think this problem is specific to South Carolina institutions, though. It seems universal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting data.

The Medical University of South Carolina and Clemson also took part in the survey. USC actually falls behind in several categories that seem of importance compared to other in-state institutions.

Some of the data:

School--------Program Start Date----2006 Start Ups---2006 US Patents Issued---2006 License Income---Total Active Licenses

CLEMSON-------------1987--------------------4---------------------13--------------------$2,450,462----------------35

MUSC-----------------1994--------------------3----------------------3-----------------------$596,367----------------38

USC-------------------1993--------------------6---------------------11----------------------$412,531----------------47

School---------Total Adjusted Gross Income (2004-2006)

CLEMSON----------$7,241,174

MUSC--------------$2,540,630

USC-----------------$859,932

So, how does USC have more start ups than the other schools, have 2 less patents than Clemson issued and 8 more than MUSC and have the least amount of income generated? And it's not even close in the Total Adjusted Gross Income from 2004-2006. What are they doing??

What are your sources for these data? Without some more detailed explanations of what these things are, I don't think anyone can draw a reasonable conclusion.

All of that is in the PDF of the publication in which the rank was given...

http://autm.net/events/file/AUTM_06_US%20LSS_FNL.pdf

It was at the bottom of the article referenced by CorgiMatt

• 2 weeks later...

BusinessWeek released their rankings of top undergraduate business schools. Both Clemson and SC made the list.

#56 CLEMSON

#95 USC

Both schools dropped several places from last year. With private schools removed from the list, Clemson's program is ranked 22nd. Their goal: top 10.

:thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Clemson has received a record number of applications this year. It is the first time total applications have exceeded 15,000. The school is attributing its increased popularity to the school's strong academic reputation. This is most evident through this quote from the article regarding out-of-state students:

An article in the Herald-Journal today said that the University of South Carolina Upstate is the fastest growing university in the state with about 4,850 students. Eventually this will be one of the largest universities in the state.

The article itself doesn't offer many other stats about the university's growth, but you can read about the apartment complex that they going to open up across the street from it.

How does USC-Upstate's location in Spartanburg affect downtown? if I'm thinking correctly, it's kind of removed from the urban core. It'd be nice if it were closer since it's apparently experiencing so much growth. Though, I'd say that Wofford is downtown, but I don't think its impact is all that great. Maybe it's the enrollment that makes its impact seem almost nonexistent?

How do you think such growth will affect Spartanburg? (for the better, I'd think)

Edited by GvilleSC

Well, USC Upstate is building their new College of Business & Economics building in the heart of downtown Spartanburg on St John Street at Liberty St, next to the new Cultural Center. City leaders hope to make St John Street into the business corridor more or less, so this will be a great start for that. It will put something like 400 students in downtown every day, which will boost business at local restaurants and hopefully will encourage some more corporations to look at downtown Spartanburg.

The suburban location notwithstanding, they will continue to provide a quality education for Upstate and South Carolina residents. I personally would like it if they are able to become a more residential campus like Clemson or Carolina. There is a residential component now, but the vast majority commute. And unlike Clemson (where commuting is similar but people still live in the same town) the sense of community at Upstate is not as strong as Carolina or Clemson (or even Wofford for that matter). Housing at Upstate is apparantly hard to find. They have already outgrown their brand new dorm, which is why this apartment complex is going up.

If Spartanburg can have a stronger/larger university presence in the area with a strong sense of community about it (go Spartans! :) ) then I think the results of such a thing are obvious. There are many negatives to a large university, but I think the positives outweigh it by far. The catch is how all this will play out in the future. I look to places in the UNC system like UNC Charlotte and UNC Greensboro as what to expect, since they came about at more or less the same time as USCS. UNC Charlotte is a larger school, but like Upstate, its the fastest growing in NC. They have a fairly strong identity in Charlotte, and is a well respected school even though its relatively unknown outside of the region. Upstate strikes me as similar in that it is really only known within SC, and even then primarily within the Upstate region. Its degrees are technically at the same level at USC (diplomas from bunch USC campuses read "The University of South Carolina" and the branch is never mentioned). But the reality is that the vast majority of students there stay in the Upstate and hold "normal" jobs.... nursing, teaching, marketing, etc. You just don't hear people talking about it like they would Clemson or Carolina.

The other catch is that unlike the UNC system, where all the colleges in the state are independent of each other and governed by a Board of Regents, USC Upstate is attached to USC Columbia as a branch campus. I dare say that it may ultimately require USC Upstate to gain some autonomy within the USC system at some point or separate entirely in order to be successful in the long run. Upstate Carolina University anyone?

So to get to and from the new buildings downtown is the only option to drive? I guess if you're not automatically going to be on the main campus, then it's not a problem (like Clemson or Carolina, but maybe it falls more in line with the likes of Greenville Tech's setup with various locations?)

It seems to me that removal from the USC system might would do it some good.

Yeah you have to drive. Upstate had SPARTA service at one time, but nobody ever used it. I don't think that the volume of students would warrant transit back to the main campus. I would say that its more like a remote classroom building. From what I understand, students would not take general ed classes there- only specified upper level business courses.

2 reasons:

1) Because if you can't walk across the USC Upstate campus then you are the epitome of laziness. You can be anywhere on campus in 10 minutes. From Admin to the new health education building beyond the creek might be a 15 minute walk (I've never tried it).

2) The downside to Upstate is that the shopping centers nearby are rather lacking. Y'all know that I am in full support of transit, but I think realistically there is not a good way to make it work there until the student population gets much larger, and campus expands dramatically.

Well the University of South Carolina's International MBA business school is tops in the nation again. It's either been 1st or 2nd in that category for the past 19yrs.

Interesting data.

The Medical University of South Carolina and Clemson also took part in the survey. USC actually falls behind in several categories that seem of importance compared to other in-state institutions.

Some of the data:

School--------Program Start Date----2006 Start Ups---2006 US Patents Issued---2006 License Income---Total Active Licenses

CLEMSON-------------1987--------------------4---------------------13--------------------$2,450,462----------------35

MUSC-----------------1994--------------------3----------------------3-----------------------$596,367----------------38

USC-------------------1993--------------------6---------------------11----------------------$412,531----------------47

School---------Total Adjusted Gross Income (2004-2006)

CLEMSON----------$7,241,174

MUSC--------------$2,540,630

USC-----------------$859,932

So, how does USC have more start ups than the other schools, have 2 less patents than Clemson issued and 8 more than MUSC and have the least amount of income generated? And it's not even close in the Total Adjusted Gross Income from 2004-2006. What are they doing??

First off this is just my opinion of that.....

You are comparing the apples, oranges and banannas with that. You have to look at each Universities specialty and it will help the picture get a little clearer. But i think the fact that the University of South Carolina had numerous business projects going on at the time causes their money to be lower. But considering Clemson has a vested interst in agriculture and engineering...patents are a little more profitable in that aspect. The same can be said about a medical patents....USC didn't have a main focus at that time...so i'd think that would be part of the issue....I think as Innovista picks up...so will those numbers

• 2 weeks later...

Clemson University's top-10 architecture program has won 2 out of 6 awards from NCARB (National Council of Architecture Registration Board). The awards were given for student projects that confront real world challenges.

This program is definitely an asset to South Carolina and its great to see its work honored. :)

Clemson Architecture Program Wins National Awards