BBQ in Cola

upstate29650

I've never had Maurice's BBQ, but I surely do love me some of his mustard BBQ sauce. It's my very favorite sauce ever. I was also gonna say that I had a pulled porkwich at Sticky Fingers in Chas a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. I think they now have a couple of Cola locations, but I don't know if you guys have tried them or not. Give 'em a try and support a SC-based chain!! I like their mustard BBQ sauce okay, but it's spicier than I prefer.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Head out of Irmo toward Ballentine to the Boar's Nest. They have good smoked pork and a satisfying buffet.

If you go to Little Pig's on Alpine, look for the pickin' table apart from the buffet. That's where the best meat is found.

For some of the very best BBQ in SC, venture to Sweatman's between Holly Hill and Eutawville. I'm not a great fan of mustard-based, but theirs is excellent!

I second for Boar's Nest in Irmo on Broad River Rd. It is excellent and I go there almost weekly with my family. I saw just yesterday that they are getting ready to open a location in the NE on Hard Scrabble just north of Clemson Rd. It's on the left heading north from Clemson in one of the small shopping centers. Highly recommended! I can't get enough of it!

Farm Boys in Chapin is also excellent, I am looking forward to seeing their new location open up soon.

LOL, isn't "fine dining BBQ" an oxymoron? :silly:

In theory :)

There is a mid-priced place in Greenville that has serves a pretty decent bbq, so I think it could be easily done in Columbia as long as the food is good. I would definately go to a restaurant like this .

yea, maurice's was never really that good. it's like the mcdonald's of barbecue.

in my humble bbq loving opinion, there's about 6 places that are really worth getting some decent barbecue at around here. (in no particular order other than my train of thought)

1. i totally agree that palmetto pig on pulaski st is good, especially that lunch buffet.

2. the similarly named southern pig on exit 27 in blythewood also has a really awesome lunch buffet.

3. oh yes and i definitely agree with the person that suggested myers bbq on exit 24 in blythewood. it's hot and sweaty in their little shack of a restaurant, but it is so worth it.

4. shealy's is also well worth the drive out to batesburg-leesville.

5. if you're ever out garner's ferry on the way to sumter, there's a great little place called sike's about halfway there on 378.

6. and finally, a little place off i-20, exit 61 over on hwy 378 in lexington is hudson's smokehouse. just went there not too long ago for the first time and loved it.

yea, maurice's was never really that good. it's like the mcdonald's of barbecue.

in my humble bbq loving opinion, there's about 6 places that are really worth getting some decent barbecue at around here. (in no particular order other than my train of thought)

1. i totally agree that palmetto pig on pulaski st is good, especially that lunch buffet.

2. the similarly named southern pig on exit 27 in blythewood also has a really awesome lunch buffet.

3. oh yes and i definitely agree with the person that suggested myers bbq on exit 24 in blythewood. it's hot and sweaty in their little shack of a restaurant, but it is so worth it.

4. shealy's is also well worth the drive out to batesburg-leesville.

5. if you're ever out garner's ferry on the way to sumter, there's a great little place called sike's about halfway there on 378.

6. and finally, a little place off i-20, exit 61 over on hwy 378 in lexington is hudson's smokehouse. just went there not too long ago for the first time and loved it.

This guy knows his Columbia que! :) Rumor has it that Hudsons is looking at opening a new place at the Peak exit of I-26 in the Irmo/Chapin area. It would do hugely.

Aw, man. Thanks guys. Now I could never live with myself if I followed my dream of opening a Sonny's in Irmo. Haha. Seriously though. I think one would do well if you stuck it in any of the sprawling 'burbs... it just kinda fits right in with that mentality doesn't it?? :) Actually, one might do well near campus also.

Archived