Fuddruckers near Vanderbilt.

Gviller

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a sad, sad little project. Except for the parking the rear, it could be located on any crappy bypass in America. It truly saddens me to see a signature side so poorly used--yet another chain restaurant and dumpy little retail development on a street already awash in them.

Here's the Tennessean's aritcle about the development:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...62/bEftjIwBA%3D

I'm not sure when TGIF's became upscale.

If there's a silver lining, at least it comes up to the sidewalk and has no front side parking. Otherwise, it would be hard to be more underwhelmed at this development. I haven't stopped yawning since I read the article.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just read the "news" story about this development and a more unimpressive example of business reporting is hard to imagine. I have long been frustrating by The Tennessean's gullibility in adopting the language in developers' press releases--every substandard, cheaply constructed apartment complex built in the last 10 years is breathlessly described as a "luxury" development--and this is another example. There is nothing "upscale" about a charmless chain restaurant. I mean, really. Maybe if you live in Tullahoma or McMinnville your local paper should get all excited about the arrival of a chain restaurant in the middle of your town, but I wish our daily was just a little more sophisticated. And a little less lazy in reporting business news.

as a communication major and journalism minor, the Tennessean depresses me haha. We get extra credit next semester in one of my journalism classes for pointing out problems relating to what we are learning about, and I know the Tennessean will be of use.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand...Not a fan of the plan for this site...but it could be much worse.

as a communication major and journalism minor, the Tennessean depresses me haha. We get extra credit next semester in one of my journalism classes for pointing out problems relating to what we are learning about, and I know the Tennessean will be of use.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand...Not a fan of the plan for this site...but it could be much worse.

I suspect you'll find reporting a good bit harder once you're out of school.

Thanks to the poster who brought this thread to my attention. I wasn't aware of the plans linked to above when I was reporting the story. The story relied mainly on plans filed with the city, which are more detailed in some ways but do not include any information on future tenants. It appears that there was a rock that I failed to overturn in BSM's files.

Regardless of your opinion of the site, I think it's pretty clear that the building proposed is a more concentrated and higher-rent use than the Fuddruckers, Salathai and surface parking lot now on the site. The elevations I saw in Codes also show more attention paid to architecture and materials than the buildings now on the site. As such, I'd say it fits the trend along West End toward more upscale uses. People can disagree, though, over whether it's truly "upscale" or something less so.

At any rate, please feel free to bring up such criticisms in the future, preferably by sending a note to the e-mail address that appears in the paper. I'm one person with one opinion and limited time to report, and I appreciate any help I can get.

--C. Sisk

There doesn't appear to have been an arm's length transaction on the land prior to this plan moving forward. If the land was purchased long ago then the new "developer" may or may not be getting market value for the land. I would guess not given the intensity of what's proposed.

HI, I am sad to see Fuddruckers go. First Murfreesboro closed and now Nashville. There is a bright side. The is a new place called Red robin coming to the area. They are open in Providence in Mount Juliet and Fixin' to open up in Murfreesboro. They started out in Seattle Washington. They serve Gourmet burgers and Spirits. They also have a full bar. They have an awsomw appitizer with a stack of onion rings. Most burgers are $7-9. I live in M'boro and have eaten at the Mt. Juliet location. I cait wait for ours to open. It is a little different than Fuddruckers but will be a good place for all you burger lovers out there. I will see y'all at Red Robin.

This building, a few blocks away on Elliston Place, is a good example of how community input turned a proposed one-use building into a multi-storey, mixed-use building.

Perfect.jpg

Local businesses suggested the developers modify the one story proposal to make something more compatible with the neighborhood. All parties are delighted with the result.

Maybe someone needs to step in to the Fuddruckers project and encourage a similiar result.

Not to mention the fact that the TGIFriday's that used to be in Elliston Place just down the street isn't there anymore. Not exactly sure why, but interesting to think that they'd do any better in a $40 per square foot rent location.

I completely agree with everyone in this thread that what is planned for this development is much less than ideal.

I emailed the developer in July asking about this, and I got this response.

"We are planning a retail project. We have looked at several different development scenarios and are close to making decision about what to move forward with. At the very least there will be a retail component. The jury is still out on whether there will be any office or residential space."

Good article, as always. Too bad "most economic sense" probably means a difference in margin of less than 2% which also includes a lesser degree of risk. Design innovation and neighborhood relevance often takes a back seat to the mighty $$$ in the development arena, unfortunately.

Kudos to the more cutting edge developers out there who realize that creating a desirable space will yield more long-term benefits to your business than just a short-term buck.

Archived