UAMS Campus Expansion

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rendering of the expanded ACRC (Arkansas Cancer Research Center) released today.

UAMS named a new director for ACRC today as well.

Where it says "Cancer Institute" it's clearly a hint that it will be renamed from ACRC to the Rockefeller Cancer Institute. The Rockefellers will make a very large donation contingent on the state matching funding.

ACRC_expand.jpg

The bill to match $50 million in private contributions to expand the ACRC cancer center at UAMS passed both the house and senate and was signed into law by Gov Beebe, meaning this building will be built. There will also be a $35 million bond issue, making the total cost about $135 million for the expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice summary in the DOG of all the construction ongoing and future for UAMS campus. Article stated that they have expanded as far west as they will go. The are actively buy property for continued eastward expansion. I hope the get they get the little motel at the corner of Markham and Cedar.

Nice summary in the DOG of all the construction ongoing and future for UAMS campus. Article stated that they have expanded as far west as they will go. The are actively buy property for continued eastward expansion. I hope the get they get the little motel at the corner of Markham and Cedar.

Yeah, that motel needs to go in the worst way. I wish they'd bought it and bulldozed it just for the hell of it, it's a scary element in an otherwise good neighborhood.

Yeah, that motel needs to go in the worst way. I wish they'd bought it and bulldozed it just for the hell of it, it's a scary element in an otherwise good neighborhood.

I had heard rumors, more than a year ago, that Walgreens had purchased that hotel for a future location. I guess that fell through (or was untrue).

I had heard rumors, more than a year ago, that Walgreens had purchased that hotel for a future location. I guess that fell through (or was untrue).

In addition to the motel property, Walgreens would probably need to purchase some of the residential lots behind the motel. If they would build up to the sidewalk and put the parking in the back, I could see a Walgreens work there.

Walgreen's strategy (and CVS's) is to place 24-hour pharmacies near major hospitals. With UAMS and St Vincent's right there, this really should've been done a long time ago.

Plus, it acts as a convenience store for that part of town. A part of town without any kind of Wal-Mart or Target.

Yeah, Walgreen's would make a killing there.

I missed the article the other day and just caught it but the ADG ran a nice article running down UAMS' current construction.

The campus has grown as far West as it can, now it will have to grow to the East and is acquiring property for future expansion as described above.

I just thought this was a nice synopsis:

The big cranes are for the $203.9 million, 10-level, 540,000-square-foot hospital expansion on the south side of the campus. The expansion, built around the existing Ward Tower, will include 234 adult beds and 60 neonatal beds initially, with space for growth that would mean a total capacity for 393 private adult patient rooms.

A parking deck also will be built in the area.

The project is to be ready for opening in late 2008.

The Psychiatric Research Institute. A $30 million, fivefloor, 100,000-square-foot facility, will include space for inpatient and outpatient treatment, education, research and administration. It will consolidate a department that is scattered in several locations, serving as many as 1,200 patients daily. It is to open in 2008.

The Arkansas Cancer Research Center expansion. A planned $125 million, 288,000-square-foot expansion will add more space for patient care, research and education programs for the world-recognized center. Construction is expected to start this year just north of the existing building.

Jones Eye Institute Expansion. A $12 million, five-floor, 56,000-square-foot addition that opened in April last year, allowing for the expansion of existing clinical, research and education programs and room to develop new services. It is named the Pat Walker Tower for the Springdale philanthropist whose gift made the project possible.

New residence hall. This is one of the more high-profile projects on the campus because it is right along highly traveled Markham Street. The hall is a $14.6 million, 92,000-squarefoot, 177-unit facility opened to students last August with a mix of traditional dormitory-style rooms with semiprivate baths, one-bedroom apartments and studio apartments.

The hall has not been named yet.

State Hospital. UAMS is providing $24.3 million for construction of a $31.5 million, 148,000-square-foot State Hospital in return for the land where the new residence hall is located. Some existing State Hospital buildings will transfer to UAMS when construction of the new State Hospital is complete in early 2008. Those buildings will then be renovated to house the UAMS College of Health Related Professions, which is currently spread over several on-campus and offcampus locations.

Education Building. A proposed two-story building with about 24,000 square feet that will include 14 conference rooms, two 100-seat classrooms and two 225-seat auditoriums. Construction of the estimated $10 million facility is to begin this year. It is located off the new Hooper Drive.

Site development of Hooper Drive. This is an $8.5 million project that provides improved access to the hospital and UAMS campus. It includes the conversion of Hooper Drive to a four-lane, divided boulevard. Some work also will be done on Shuffield Drive.

UAMS bookstore. A new, larger bookstore opened in 2006 to replace the bookstore in the old student union that was torn down. The $700,00 building contains 4,000 square feet.

West Central Energy Plant. Located on Seventh Street on the southwest edge of the campus, the new $31 million facility will provide utility services to the west side of the campus and portions of the State Hospital. Completion is expected this year. It replaces an old steam plant that also featured a greenhouse where plants could be bought.

Walgreen's strategy (and CVS's) is to place 24-hour pharmacies near major hospitals. With UAMS and St Vincent's right there, this really should've been done a long time ago.

Plus, it acts as a convenience store for that part of town. A part of town without any kind of Wal-Mart or Target.

Yeah, Walgreen's would make a killing there.

Right up the street, at Kavanaugh and Beechwood, is Rhea Drug, there's also the pharmacy at Kroger, and the Walgreen's not that far away at 12th and Fair Park, so much of the pharmaceutical need of the area may be satisfied. I agree entirely that any sort of convenience store would do well in this area.

Right up the street, at Kavanaugh and Beechwood, is Rhea Drug, there's also the pharmacy at Kroger, and the Walgreen's not that far away at 12th and Fair Park, so much of the pharmaceutical need of the area may be satisfied. I agree entirely that any sort of convenience store would do well in this area.

The only condition that would probably give Walgreen's pause is their present location at 12th and Fair Park, which you mentioned.

I think the real need is for a 24-hour pharmacy for those leaving after ER visits to fill their prescriptions. That's the reason you see 24-hour pharmacies near major medical centers in larger markets. Right now the only one I'm aware of is the one at Bowman near Markham. That's not easily accessible to any of the hospitals.

Also, don't forget UAMS itself has a large hospital pharmacy. However, it is only open during regular hours.

• 4 weeks later...

The UAMS construction website has been updated with new construction photos. The one on the main page is quite impressive and gives you a feel for the magnitude of the hospital expansion. You can view a larger version in the gallery. Also, the

The UAMS construction website has been updated with new construction photos. The one on the main page is quite impressive and gives you a feel for the magnitude of the hospital expansion. You can view a larger version in the gallery. Also, the

• 4 weeks later...

How about UAMs jumping across I-630?

I doubt that ever happens. I think it will continue to eat up the residential areas East of UAMS, it's grown as far West as it can. I guess in theory it could cross Markham but I doubt that happens unless there is nowhere else to go.

It's kind of a shame Children's wasn't across I-630 and the two can't be linked by a bridge. It is the pediatric hospital of UAMS and students and faculty frequently go between the two. Children's was built when UAMS was still at the current UALR law location, though.

I doubt that ever happens. I think it will continue to eat up the residential areas East of UAMS, it's grown as far West as it can. I guess in theory it could cross Markham but I doubt that happens unless there is nowhere else to go.

It's kind of a shame Children's wasn't across I-630 and the two can't be linked by a bridge. It is the pediatric hospital of UAMS and students and faculty frequently go between the two. Children's was built when UAMS was still at the current UALR law location, though.

UAMS owns the old KOKY building... that is across I-630.

UAMS owns the old KOKY building... that is across I-630.

They also own Freeway Medical across I-630 near University. The Pulaski County Health Clinic is across I-630 from UAMS and is used by some of the faculty and students.

Still, these aren't part of the UAMS Campus.

How about UAMs jumping across I-630?

Won't happen. No need, and frankly, that's a horrible area of town. It won't go east either...the long term master plan calls for it to go west as it makes arrangements to use the plentiful land currently used by other state agencies.

At one time there was a study about linking the two campus' with a train/people-mover like device. Sort of a "pie-in-the-sky" idea, but it was actually priced out.

Won't happen. No need, and frankly, that's a horrible area of town. It won't go east either...the long term master plan calls for it to go west as it makes arrangements to use the plentiful land currently used by other state agencies.

At one time there was a study about linking the two campus' with a train/people-mover like device. Sort of a "pie-in-the-sky" idea, but it was actually priced out.

You might be right.

This idea is being kicked around elsewhere by people who influence the influencial. I happen to think it would be terrific for Little Rock on a couple of important levels; 1) Pine to University and 12th to I-630, which already has a lot of commercial property, is ignored yet it borders 4 major economic development initiatives in the City (the University District, Midtown, War Memorial Park, and UAMS). 2) As the Arkansas River divides Little Rock from North Little Rock (you two support THAT merger), I-630 divides Little Rock racially. Anything that can bridge this divide in a positive way is good for the City.

I'm sure you guys know that the original entrance to War Memorial is Johnson St of 12th St.

You might be right.

This idea is being kicked around elsewhere by people who influence the influencial. I happen to think it would be terrific for Little Rock on a couple of important levels; 1) Pine to University and 12th to I-630, which already has a lot of commercial property, is ignored yet it borders 4 major economic development initiatives in the City (the University District, Midtown, War Memorial Park, and UAMS). 2) As the Arkansas River divides Little Rock from North Little Rock (you two support THAT merger), I-630 divides Little Rock racially. Anything that can bridge this divide in a positive way is good for the City.

I'm sure you guys know that the original entrance to War Memorial is Johnson St of 12th St.

You are right about the unfortunate "racial" divide that I-630 has become. However, I didn't quite follow what "idea" you were referring to.

You are right about the unfortunate "racial" divide that I-630 has become. However, I didn't quite follow what "idea" you were referring to.

I wouldn't call it an absolute racial divide but there certainly is a major trend. The Quapaw Quarter and Fair Park Blvd are largely white and there are neighborhoods like Broadmoor and Western Hills that are at least 1/3 white. Likewise there are some largely black pockets north of I-630 such as Reservoir Road.

Still, I've heard the advice "stay North of I-630" too many times lately, especially since the Barrow Road/Parkview area went South. I hate to see too much segregation in the city.

Archived