DASH Use Exploding

GRDadof3

An incredible article in the Business Journal regarding the hot demand for the 6 year old DASH (Downtown Area Shuttle) service, where people park in the outskirts of downtown and ride the shuttle buses into downtown. It sounds like many of the DASH lots are full now, which is why they are expanding to a new DASH lot behind the fire station on Bridge Street. Although we don't need more lots, at least this keeps cars out of the central city and allows further development.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...F-E1E0EE9B4875}

Some interesting tidbits from the article:

- In 1999, they gave away DASH spots for free. Today, they're 99% full at a monthly charge.

- October 2002, there were 5768 monthly parkers compared to 6482 today

- 13 of the 21 ramps this past month were full and could not accept new parkers

This, in addition to the roaring success of the RAPID, should get people to realize the need to invest in expanded mass transit alternatives.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An incredible article in the Business Journal regarding the hot demand for the 6 year old DASH (Downtown Area Shuttle) service, where people park in the outskirts of downtown and ride the shuttle buses into downtown. It sounds like many of the DASH lots are full now, which is why they are expanding to a new DASH lot behind the fire station on Bridge Street. Although we don't need more lots, at least this keeps cars out of the central city and allows further development.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...F-E1E0EE9B4875}

Some interesting tidbits from the article:

- In 1999, they gave away DASH spots for free. Today, they're 99% full at a monthly charge.

- October 2002, there were 5768 monthly parkers compared to 6482 today

- 13 of the 21 ramps this past month were full and could not accept new parkers

This, in addition to the roaring success of the RAPID, should get people to realize the need to invest in expanded mass transit alternatives.

Excellent find, Jeff! ;) I think that for the short-term, the Rapid should continue what it is currently doing: upgrading service, creating new routes, increasing hours of operation and/or frequency of routes.

Something like light rail is a great idea, but realistically speaking, it is at least ten years off. For now, the best thing they can do is to keep people riding. The success of DASH could prove to be an excellent catalyst, since it might help to neutralize the stigma attached to riding the bus.

Excellent find, Jeff! ;) I think that for the short-term, the Rapid should continue what it is currently doing: upgrading service, creating new routes, increasing hours of operation and/or frequency of routes.

Something like light rail is a great idea, but realistically speaking, it is at least ten years off. For now, the best thing they can do is to keep people riding. The success of DASH could prove to be an excellent catalyst, since it might help to neutralize the stigma attached to riding the bus.

Dead on assessment. Get people used to riding any sort of transit, even if it's half-@$$ed like the Dash busses. And when we do get some real transit in place, people won't be so scared to try it.

I like how the city is using this program to expand the downtown area. The city is eventually going to sell the lots on the west side that it took with eminent domain to developers/GVSU and will hopefully continue moving further west. There are a few nice old homes there, but IMO most of the homes on the near west side will need to come down sooner or later.

Cananyone pheaseably tell me, if they are seriously considering putting Light rail into the area, and if they are considering it, if they are pheaseably talking about ways to finance it, be it thru federal programs or other. And if they are finding ways to finance it, can someone tell me if the money will be earmarked for something else.

We all talk about light rail, so much. I firmly believe this to be a massive element to success. Not only if we are to thrive as a city, but also if we want to set ourselves apart from every other city trying to experience a rebirth in the rustbelt.

everything I can tell says that the city had lightrail only on a visionary scale. Meaning that its on the board, but at the moment its not seriously being considered.

I think you're right. There might be some feasibility studies going on, but nothing concrete, such as physical planning, land acquisition, financing, or anything else is happening yet.

Cananyone pheaseably tell me, if they are seriously considering putting Light rail into the area, and if they are considering it, if they are pheaseably talking about ways to finance it, be it thru federal programs or other. And if they are finding ways to finance it, can someone tell me if the money will be earmarked for something else.

We all talk about light rail, so much. I firmly believe this to be a massive element to success. Not only if we are to thrive as a city, but also if we want to set ourselves apart from every other city trying to experience a rebirth in the rustbelt.

There was this thread this summer regarding federal funding to do more studies on "streetcars":

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...=transportation

You'll have to talk to someone involved with The Rapid to find out if the state put up the matching funds.

I asked the mayor about lightrail:

"The good news is that a local task force, armed with federal grant dollars, is well into the planning for a major corridor investment (light rail, trolley or fixed-guideway buses). While these processes require long lead periods to develop and fund, you can rest assured that ours is moving well. In fact, this is the only federal

I asked the mayor about lightrail:

"The good news is that a local task force, armed with federal grant dollars, is well into the planning for a major corridor investment (light rail, trolley or fixed-guideway buses). While these processes require long lead periods to develop and fund, you can rest assured that ours is moving well. In fact, this is the only federal

October. To add more excitement I'm hearing that a lot of suburbanites in Kentwood (only reason why I know is that I spark up conversation with customers in Kentwood, I work in customer service.) that work downtown would rather ride rails then express bus. Shout to your representatives Suburbanites!

Archived