Volunteer Work

Cap'n Prowler

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out Loaves & Fishes. While not a soup kitchen, volunteers deliver several thousand meals on Thanksgiving Day to those in need (elderly, low income, etc). I believe they also team up with local restaurants and serve meals free of charge. You can volunteer your time to be a server. I don't have a number or contact info but I'll try to find out tomorrow, as I knew someone who did this a couple of years ago.

Check out Project Host Soup Kitchen. I'm sure they are doing something for Thanksgiving, so you could call them directly to see what they have going on.

Another good option is the Greenville Rescue Mission. They are right across from the post office on Washington, and do a wonderful work for the homeless.

Also, a great way to get involved is Hands on Greenville. It is designed to allow people with busy work/school schedules to still be able to volunteer (most of the volunteer opportunities are weeknights and on weekends). I was involved with Hands on Greenville when I lived in the upstate, and I had some really great and rewarding experiences. However, you have to attend a volunteer orientation before volunteering so that probably isn't doable for this Thanksgiving. Anyway, here is the URL:

www.handsongreenville.org

Hope this helps...

H.O.G. is an excellent option for the future, as Greenville has indicated, but very likely isn't doable before Thanksgiving, true.

A Place of Refuge Ministry at the corner of Stone Avenue and Rutherford Street is worthy of your consideration. Also, Miracle Hill Ministries is another organization that you may want to call.

Archived