Little old church in Hampton Pinckney

gs3

Just passed this church for the first time last week and had to snap photos. The photos really don't do it justice...you have to see it in person. It's in the Hampton Pinckney area and very weathered (weathered in a good way :) ), but not rundown. I think what caught my eye was the stained glass windows. They are the extremely old, thick, wavy, hand poured stained glass. It's such minimal design. A simplistic cross on top. Does anybody have know the history of this church?

CIMG3410.jpg

CIMG3408.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just passed this church for the first time last week and had to snap photos. The photos really don't do it justice...you have to see it in person. It's in the Hampton Pinckney area and very weathered (weathered in a good way :) ), but not rundown. I think what caught my eye was the stained glass windows. They are the extremely old, thick, wavy, hand poured stained glass. It's such minimal design. A simplistic cross on top. Does anybody have know the history of this church?

The church is Mattoon Presbyterian Church (PCUSA). According to Dr. Lloyd Bensen, history professor at Furman, "This church was organized with the help of First Presbyterian church leaders in 1878 after the church's black members decided to form their own congregation. The present structure takes its name from its black organizer, the Reverend S.M. Mattoon. It was completed in 1887." According to the Foothills Presbytery website , the church currently has a membership of about 40.

Thanks NY - long-time lurker, first time poster.

Lived in the Upstate my entire life, and have a keen interest in the history of the area. When I was a teacher, Mattoon Presbyterian was a research subject for one of my students. However, Dr. Benson is the real authority in the area.

I noticed yesterday that this church is featured on the cover of Upstate Forever's 'Special Places Inventory for Greenville County.' It has a lot of interesting information on historical places in the city & county.

http://www.upstateforever.org/newsviews_ot...20Inventory.pdf

Thanks sc smitty!! :D This info is fantastic!! I'm printing it off to read on my Thanksgiving journey this afternoon.

There is a photo in the information of Symmes Chapel. This looks like an incredible spot.....the view looks spectacular! I've gotta find this place and check it out. Have any of you guys ever been to Symmes Chapel?

That Lanneau - Norwood house is a new one on me. I'll have to check it out.

My wife and I have always thought this was an odd looking house. It looks like nothing else around it, or in Greenville that I have seen. Glad to know a little of the story behind it now.

It is off of Crescent, on one of the streets across from the Peace estate (can I call it that? It's HUGE).

My wife and I have always thought this was an odd looking house. It looks like nothing else around it, or in Greenville that I have seen. Glad to know a little of the story behind it now.

It is off of Crescent, on one of the streets across from the Peace estate (can I call it that? It's HUGE).

Is this house currently occupied?

I noticed yesterday that this church is featured on the cover of Upstate Forever's 'Special Places Inventory for Greenville County.' It has a lot of interesting information on historical places in the city & county.

http://www.upstateforever.org/newsviews_ot...20Inventory.pdf

Thanks for the link scsmitty! Great read! :thumbsup:

Archived