Hartford no longer on the 10 most dangerous list

MadVlad

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We dropped off the list, rejoice!! Now let's get the word out.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/21/camden.crime.ap/index.html

Still...Springfield is #19 and Hartford #24......While it may not be the fairest way of truly judging the SAFETY of a certain place, it SHOULD send a message to elected officials that there are real problems that need to be addressed regardless of progress or one's real perception.

First off, last year I think Hartford was #7 and Springfield was #17 on this same list. On Morgan Quitno's website it also lists Hartford as the third most improved city compared to last years rankings. So we are on the right track even though the violence that has rang out across the city this past weekend may not show that.

What angered me though was when I read on the web on WFSB and WTNH's website the headline read that Hartford was CT most dangerous city and Stamford the safest, which it is but I was expecting to see Hartford be one of the most dangerous cities once again. When I visited the Morgan Quitino site I saw Hartford at 24 and Hartford as the 3rd most improved city. Would the local media like to share with everyone that Hartford was in the top 10 (#7) most dangerous last year and is now #24 making it the third most improved city?

First off, last year I think Hartford was #7 and Springfield was #17 on this same list. On Morgan Quitno's website it also lists Hartford as the third most improved city compared to last years rankings. So we are on the right track even though the violence that has rang out across the city this past weekend may not show that.

What angered me though was when I read on the web on WFSB and WTNH's website the headline read that Hartford was CT most dangerous city and Stamford the safest, which it is but I was expecting to see Hartford be one of the most dangerous cities once again. When I visited the Morgan Quitino site I saw Hartford at 24 and Hartford as the 3rd most improved city. Would the local media like to share with everyone that Hartford was in the top 10 (#7) most dangerous last year and is now #24 making it the third most improved city?

i assure you that the media isn't interested in the truth as much as the people in this country are. the reasons for this are many and well known (i think). the chicago courant is an example of an out of town rag kicking the hell out of anything and anyone that will make a splashy headline. and the more negative the better. the whole story is way too time consuming for them. why be surprised when the boob tube does the same? lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Your right blackstone its just sad that our own local media portrays the city like that rather then media from another possibly rival city.

On another note on the Morgan Quitino website there is a letter from someone who works in for the City of Camden about his outrage over the rankings and how these rankings have hurt Camden (ranked most dangerous)

Your right blackstone its just sad that our own local media portrays the city like that rather then media from another possibly rival city.

On another note on the Morgan Quitino website there is a letter from someone who works in for the City of Camden about his outrage over the rankings and how these rankings have hurt Camden (ranked most dangerous)

Hartford has a beautiful skyline, great location, and many cultural attractions. What it desperately needs is residents...and the majority of people choose locations to live based on safety. The majority are ignorant and only look at compiled data when researching from afar. They will not venture into a city if it is deemed dangerous. I went to Detroit about 3 years ago and heard all the stories about how bad it was....and guess what? It was!...only they didn't report that there were many people and certain places trying to bring it back to life. Hartford is perceived to be a dangerous place to many people from afar and even in CT....and they will probably never ever venture into the areas that many people are tring to invest in and bring back to life. I feel safer in Roxbury or Mattapan than certain parts of Hartford because of the capacity and desperation of many of the residents that live there...

Hartford needs gay people. I'm sorry to say it, and I know some of you are bigoted closeted homophobes that post here, ( esp. after one of your reactions to my posts),but it is the truth. We're not afraid of anything. We move into neighborhoods, fix them up, and property values soar. Maybe that is a generalization, but when gays feel comfortable in 1 community, they tend to make every effort to maintain that comfort level.They've been discriminated for years and understand the pain that minorities, women, and disabled people feel ...because they've been through it all. Hartford is a virtual NO WELCOME zone as of now because they feel isolated and prime for discrimination. Look at Boston. Providence,San Francisco, and Fort Lauderdale. All these cities would not be the same if the maricones didn't live in them.Ex-mayor Buddy Cianci was the straightest crime-ridden queer in all of Providence. He hopped on every Pride float, went to gay clubs, and even lip synched with the drag queens. He was no fool. Cities change. Things change. People will come and go and with every generation. new ethnic and social groups will prosper. That is the life of a true city. The city , however, never ever goes away!! So to you ...my people in Hartford ...get Mayor Eddie Perez to suppport EVERYONE that calls his fair city home .... and things will change. Vogue! :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more, Virgo. There is a saying in New York real estate: if gays are moving in, buy, if they're moving out, sell. In New York gays (and artists in general) have been critical in reviving neighborhoods like Harlem, Williamsburg, Chelsea, SoHo and Tribeca, which are now among the wealthiest neighborhoods in New York.

But there's another element that all great cities have: immigration. Hartford may consider itself "diverse" but it isn't, it's black (African-American and West Indian), Hispanic (Puerto-Rican and some South-American) and some white (Italian and some Portuguese). Cities thrive on real diversity and constant immigration, and Hartford would do well to encourage Asian and Middle-Eastern families to move here.

At this time we'll take whoever we can get, but the Mayor should try to encourage diversity be it ethnic, religious or of sexual orientation. That is what it is to be truly urban, and all the amenities, arts and culture of the great cities will surely follow.

To put things into proper perspective, Hartford ranked so high last year because of a nursing home fire that killed 16 or so people. Because the fire was ruled arson, the deaths were ruled homocides greatly inflating Hartford's violent crime statistics per 100,000 people.

Come on! Nursing home fire or not...You're kidding yourself if you think that Hartford is some blissful bastion . They count every crime known to public . Homocides are comparatively small when comparing all crimes. It still ranks on the top of the list!......Hartford's got a long way to go....I'm glad they've started to clean up.......

If Hartford were a normal size city (instead of a tiny 17 square miles) it would be nowhere near this list. If it were the size of Charlotte (240 square miles) it's rank would be closer to 225 than 25.

The City of Hartford's rank on this list is a statistical anomoly caused by it's small size. Period.

If Hartford were a normal size city (instead of a tiny 17 square miles) it would be nowhere near this list. If it were the size of Charlotte (240 square miles) it's rank would be closer to 225 than 25.

The City of Hartford's rank on this list is a statistical anomoly caused by it's small size. Period.

They do the statistics by population, not area though (right?), so how would that make a difference?

Ex-mayor Buddy Cianci was the straightest crime-ridden queer in all of Providence. He hopped on every Pride float, went to gay clubs, and even lip synched with the drag queens. He was no fool.

That's possibly the funniest thing I've read on these boards yet.

I think you're right, more gay people usually ='s better living environment. I'm just unsure how to accomplish that. You think a little blurb at the bottom of the "Welcome to Hartford" signs saying "Come all ye gays" would help? Seriously though, how indeed does a city garner more support from the gay community?

I think you're right, more gay people usually ='s better living environment. I'm just unsure how to accomplish that. You think a little blurb at the bottom of the "Welcome to Hartford" signs saying "Come all ye gays" would help? Seriously though, how indeed does a city garner more support from the gay community?

Yeah, I mean we don't really have any idea what you guys need or want to enjoy a city. I think that's the problem. I can tell you what would attract almost any other demographic, but you guys are a real mystery to me.

I think it's easier to focus on brining new ethnic immigration to the city. Hartford can easily market itself as a Chinese friendly city to Chinese New Yorkers looking for new business opportunities and a lower cost of living. These small businesses will be vital once more people move downtown. I've never heard of a Chinatown in Hartford, but I imagine the owners/workers in the dozens of metro area restaurants live somewhere.

You need a few politicians to open their arms and participate in activities and they will come. The mayor would be the most effective.

Yeah, I mean we don't really have any idea what you guys need or want to enjoy a city. I think that's the problem. I can tell you what would attract almost any other demographic, but you guys are a real mystery to me.

It's not like you can open up a rainbow flag store and we've got our bags packed. You would never ever know that I was gay if you saw me walk down the street. I'm not the stereotypical loose queenie type with plucked eyebrows and a swish. There are already plenty of gays in Hartford. I lived there once and know, but the culture in the city lacks other places. There really isn't any places for them to hang out in a social setting. I'm not just talking clubs, but coffeehouses, retail, or any other place. It's not like we do anything different from anyone else, but if I'm hanging out with a friend or boyfriend, I don't want some ignorant people staring at me or making comments. We need to have places where we can relax and not have to deal with bulls&it...and right now...Hartford doesn't have that kind of place. There really is nobody in city government that's come out and really supported them. It's not like they're afraid of rough neighborhoods. Look @ Harlem, the South End in Boston, or the Wilton Manors area of Fort Lauderdale. All were ghettoes 10 or 15 years ago and they've come around. Violence? Huh ! Crime ? Huh! Why live in the suburbs ? It's boring!

Also , Hartford doesn't really have a lot of ethnic diversity. The city is run by 2 ethnic groups and has been for years. I was reading that over 1/3 of the population is Puerto Rican and that over 1/3 is African- American. That's not even counting Jamaicans....just Americans. So if over 70 % of the city is from 2 ethnic groups, it's not really perceived as an open place. Hartford needs people with money and needs to embrace other cultures. Thankfully, all the new developments will bring in people with money...As far as the cultural thing, the mayor and local politicians need to come out, support, participate, and market to all the cultural institutions, parades, and events that already go on in Hartford and surrounding communities. The gays will eventually follow.

I was reading that over 1/3 of the population is Puerto Rican and that over 1/3 is African- American. That's not even counting Jamaicans....just Americans. So if over 70 % of the city is from 2 ethnic groups, it's not really perceived as an open place. Hartford needs people with money and needs to embrace other cultures.

I agree that the things that will bring younger more affluent people back to the city is the same stuff that will appeal to everyone regardless of sexual preference. I would just like to point out that our 2 ethnic groups are very welcoming if you give us a chance and don't come to our neighborhoods like someone is out to get you, because we are not. Go into any black, spanish, west indian restaurant and I gaurantee they will treat you fine and give you good service. Us Blacks and Puerto Ricans are not unwelcoming it's mostly perception. I can't tell you how much I get sick of the people at my job saying how they are so scared to drive down Albany Ave. like we are just waiting to rob them as soon as they stop at the light. The vast majority of crimes involve drug transactions gone wrong, not innocent bystanders and store patrons.

I guess my point is don't act like we are keeping people out who made up their own minds that they do not wish to live near us. How about other ethnic groups embracing us? Because you can't embrace Hartford without embracing us because like you pointed out, as it stands now, we ARE Hartford. Hartford is free for anyone to live here and participate in the running of the city.

Come on! Nursing home fire or not...You're kidding yourself if you think that Hartford is some blissful bastion . They count every crime known to public . Homocides are comparatively small when comparing all crimes. It still ranks on the top of the list!......Hartford's got a long way to go....I'm glad they've started to clean up.......

who said hartford is a blissful bastion? did you think of that phrase all by yourself? when statistics are compiled, they don't care how the homicides were done, they only ask how many. hmmm, 3:18 am post. just coming home from a providence jc meeting or elsewhere?

who said hartford is a blissful bastion? did you think of that phrase all by yourself? when statistics are compiled, they don't care how the homicides were done, they only ask how many. hmmm, 3:18 am post. just coming home from a providence jc meeting or elsewhere?

I was up smoking crack! :lol:

What a lot of people don't realize is that Hartford's West End has one of the highest concentrations of gay people in the world. I remember reading an article in the Courant about how the West End was saved from the rest of the city's decline in the 90's thanks to the gay population buying up all those Victorian homes and renovating them. A visit to Tisane, the fairly new coffee shop/bar will show about 60 percent gays on normal days and 100 percent on Tuesday night. We are here and thriving in Hartford!

It's not like we do anything different from anyone else, but if I'm hanging out with a friend or boyfriend, I don't want some ignorant people staring at me or making comments.

Ignorant people bother everyone. I have large areas of my body covered in tattoos, and you'd think people saw me burn down the village or something. I can usually tell when people are staring out of curiosity, and when they are staring out of venom.

Not that the 2 situations are exactly the same, but I have at least a rough idea what you mean....

Gays are undoubtably a positive influence in building and retaining an urban environment, however, as Virgo said, he and his gay buddies want the same thing us breeders want - a place to "hang out". That is what Hartford lacks. We don't need to be hanging gay banners around the city...we just need to open more places to hang out - for everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Gays are undoubtably a positive influence in building and retaining an urban environment, however, as Virgo said, he and his gay buddies want the same thing us breeders want - a place to "hang out". That is what Hartford lacks. We don't need to be hanging gay banners around the city...we just need to open more places to hang out - for everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Exactly!

I agree that the things that will bring younger more affluent people back to the city is the same stuff that will appeal to everyone regardless of sexual preference. I would just like to point out that our 2 ethnic groups are very welcoming if you give us a chance and don't come to our neighborhoods like someone is out to get you, because we are not. Go into any black, spanish, west indian restaurant and I gaurantee they will treat you fine and give you good service. Us Blacks and Puerto Ricans are not unwelcoming it's mostly perception. I can't tell you how much I get sick of the people at my job saying how they are so scared to drive down Albany Ave. like we are just waiting to rob them as soon as they stop at the light. The vast majority of crimes involve drug transactions gone wrong, not innocent bystanders and store patrons.

I guess my point is don't act like we are keeping people out who made up their own minds that they do not wish to live near us. How about other ethnic groups embracing us? Because you can't embrace Hartford without embracing us because like you pointed out, as it stands now, we ARE Hartford. Hartford is free for anyone to live here and participate in the running of the city.

The bottom line is that ordinary people of other cultures or demographics are unlikely to roost somewhere unless other people have already made that investment or move. There needs to be a little more diversity for it to survive. It's like the Bronx syndrome. Every other borough in NYC has had property values soar, more diversity, and an increased sense of community because of the ethnic balance that has taken place over the last couple of years. The Bronx has just watched on as other boroughs have grown. Hartford has been in the same predicament. Only now, changes are starting to unravel.

I'm 100% Irish and was raised by a Puerto Rican fanily in my later childhood years. I'm fluent in Spanish and am well educated in the cultural differences. It has nothing to do with me or anybody else embracing cultures. It has to do with the culture of a true city. Maybe that comes across as a generalization, but cities need a balance ethnically, culturally, and socio-economically to survive. ...and Hartford doesn't have that balance. Call it what you will, but Hartford needs more people from different backgrounds in order to be a fully functioning city. ....and that entails the powers that be to "open" up their doors!

Archived