Hartford no longer on the 10 most dangerous list

MadVlad

What a lot of people don't realize is that Hartford's West End has one of the highest concentrations of gay people in the world. I remember reading an article in the Courant about how the West End was saved from the rest of the city's decline in the 90's thanks to the gay population buying up all those Victorian homes and renovating them. A visit to Tisane, the fairly new coffee shop/bar will show about 60 percent gays on normal days and 100 percent on Tuesday night. We are here and thriving in Hartford!

I think you're exaggerating just a little bit when you say the world. I never said that they don't exist in Hartford. I actually said there are plenty. I don't have the link, but somewhere on this site, they said that they are actually declining...Farmington Ave. Condos thread?...Some may visit the area because there is a cruise spot there, but most do not live within city borders....West Hartford? New Haven? New Britain? The remaining ones in Hartford are generally on the " DL ." ...and they would never go to a spot like that! That's the cultural difference between Hartford and places that are more acceptable. Even Springfield , although trashy as f&ck, is more socially acceptable to gays......

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on! Nursing home fire or not...You're kidding yourself if you think that Hartford is some blissful bastion . They count every crime known to public . Homocides are comparatively small when comparing all crimes. It still ranks on the top of the list!......Hartford's got a long way to go....I'm glad they've started to clean up.......

When did I ever say Hartford was "some blissful bastion???" Only that in a small city the size of Hartford, 16 more homocides DO affect violent crime statistics.... enough so to propel Hartford into the top ten in the nation last year. Take those homocides out and Hartford falls out of the top ten. You can argue with the stats all you want.

And you are wrong anyway. They only count violent crimes when compiling these lists. Not "every crime known to public" and not "all crimes."

I agree that the things that will bring younger more affluent people back to the city is the same stuff that will appeal to everyone regardless of sexual preference. I would just like to point out that our 2 ethnic groups are very welcoming if you give us a chance and don't come to our neighborhoods like someone is out to get you, because we are not. Go into any black, spanish, west indian restaurant and I gaurantee they will treat you fine and give you good service. Us Blacks and Puerto Ricans are not unwelcoming it's mostly perception. I can't tell you how much I get sick of the people at my job saying how they are so scared to drive down Albany Ave. like we are just waiting to rob them as soon as they stop at the light. The vast majority of crimes involve drug transactions gone wrong, not innocent bystanders and store patrons.

I guess my point is don't act like we are keeping people out who made up their own minds that they do not wish to live near us. How about other ethnic groups embracing us? Because you can't embrace Hartford without embracing us because like you pointed out, as it stands now, we ARE Hartford. Hartford is free for anyone to live here and participate in the running of the city.

The sad fact of the matter is that many other ethnic groups such as Italians for example moved out of Hartford as the city went into decline. My family is Italian and my grandparents came over from Floridia, Italy on the island of Sicily (Floridia still is one of Hartford's sister cities). They owned a rooming house on Albany Avenue then bought one on Ann Street (right by the proposed public safety complex) and then bought an apartment house on Farmington Avenue by Clemens Place before moving to Wethersifled in 1987. The fact is that even back then when my grandparents lived on Albany Avenue they still sent there kids to Catholic schools that were downtown or in West Hartford and not schools in Hartford. The neighborhood at that time was still not that great.

The south end is proclaimed to be Hartford's Little Italy but even though there are many Italians living there many moved to the suburbs because of the problems in the city. If you look at the owners of many of the popular Italian bakeries in the South End they dont live in Hartford, they live in Wethersfield.

The sad fact of the matter is that many other ethnic groups such as Italians for example moved out of Hartford as the city went into decline. My family is Italian and my grandparents came over from Floridia, Italy on the island of Sicily (Floridia still is one of Hartford's sister cities). They owned a rooming house on Albany Avenue then bought one on Ann Street (right by the proposed public safety complex) and then bought an apartment house on Farmington Avenue by Clemens Place before moving to Wethersifled in 1987. The fact is that even back then when my grandparents lived on Albany Avenue they still sent there kids to Catholic schools that were downtown or in West Hartford and not schools in Hartford. The neighborhood at that time was still not that great.

The south end is proclaimed to be Hartford's Little Italy but even though there are many Italians living there many moved to the suburbs because of the problems in the city. If you look at the owners of many of the popular Italian bakeries in the South End they dont live in Hartford, they live in Wethersfield.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make though. What really destabilized the neighborhoods was the mass exodus of wealthy residents whom happened to be mostly white. They left in such a hurry that they caused the property values to plummet and therefore poorer and poorer people moved in. The first wave of black families to buy houses in Blue Hills were wealthy and educated equally if not moreso than the whites already living there, but then their wealthy White neighbors left and took property values with them and we got stuck living around poor people who previously would not have been able to afford the neighborhood. When my family bought the house I grew up in it was from a white family. But I don't really want to be political. I really just wanted to say that more than likely nothing will happen to you if you come to the North End during business hours. There actually are still white people in my neighborhood now believe it or not, and they jog around the block and walk their dogs and say Hello like anyone else. People are people, and much more alike than different is what I have learned in my life.

It's like the Bronx syndrome. Every other borough in NYC has had property values soar, more diversity, and an increased sense of community because of the ethnic balance that has taken place over the last couple of years. The Bronx has just watched on as other boroughs have grown.

This post is about a decade late. The Bronx is one of the hottest areas in NYC, even among gays and lesbians. I was considering moving there before I left NYC for Providence.

This post is about a decade late. The Bronx is one of the hottest areas in NYC, even among gays and lesbians. I was considering moving there before I left NYC for Providence.

Not exactly. The Bronx has made little progress during the real estate boom, aside from Riverdale/Fieldston, an enclave of historically protected stone houses that doesn't consider itself the Bronx (which it isn't) and never went through a period of decline, and Hunts Point on the southernmost tip of the borough, which has the advantage of being the close to transportation and surrounded by industry and not Bronx residents. That's probably 2% of all the Bronx.

My mother was born and raised there, but her apartment building was burned down years ago and now the South Bronx has hundreds of high-rise housing projects that keep the area poor and prevent any real improvement. Hartford's projects have the same effect on the city, but given the smaller scale of those in Hartford something can still be done to reverse the institutionalizing of poverty in the city. Mayor Perez has the right idea: tear them down now.

Not exactly. The Bronx has made little progress during the real estate boom, aside from Riverdale/Fieldston, an enclave of historically protected stone houses that doesn't consider itself the Bronx (which it isn't) and never went through a period of decline, and Hunts Point on the southernmost tip of the borough, which has the advantage of being the close to transportation and surrounded by industry and not Bronx residents. That's probably 2% of all the Bronx.

My mother was born and raised there, but her apartment building was burned down years ago and now the South Bronx has hundreds of high-rise housing projects that keep the area poor and prevent any real improvement. Hartford's projects have the same effect on the city, but given the smaller scale of those in Hartford something can still be done to reverse the institutionalizing of poverty in the city. Mayor Perez has the right idea: tear them down now.

I grew up in the Bronx. Though it is in better shape than it was 20 years ago, it still lags behind the rest of NYC as far as development and revitalization are concerned. For one thing, I see fewer burned-out buildings than when I was younger. There are still a lot of areas with housing projects that are best avoided. But like many other places across the country, newer low-rise housing is being built in place of the old high-rise projects with good results. Hartford should do the same.

I grew up in the Bronx. Though it is in better shape than it was 20 years ago, it still lags behind the rest of NYC as far as development and revitalization are concerned. For one thing, I see fewer burned-out buildings than when I was younger. There are still a lot of areas with housing projects that are best avoided. But like many other places across the country, newer low-rise housing is being built in place of the old high-rise projects with good results. Hartford should do the same.

Hartford is a mini-Bronx! Ghetto. Sorry..........

^ if you believe what you say, don't apologize. Hartford is not a mini-Bronx. Just because they are both majority Black and poor doesn't mean they are the same. There are many parrallels between the two areas, but they function on completely different levels. A more apt comparison is that Hartford is like a smaller version of St. Louis, or even Detroit.

virgo is a flamer from Providence. He is passive aggressive. He tries to act innocent so he can get in a shot every other post. It's sad.

That's right! ...and you are probably a fat ass with a gut(judging by your name)....Only I won't call you out on it! They can ban me for that one boys and girls....but isn't it funny how you interject with everything I say with some hag remark. Are you that interested in calling me out? I've already called myself out. Maybe you're a little "curious" because it's usually those types that always have something to say.... :ph34r:

^ if you believe what you say, don't apologize. Hartford is not a mini-Bronx. Just because they are both majority Black and poor doesn't mean they are the same. There are many parrallels between the two areas, but they function on completely different levels. A more apt comparison is that Hartford is like a smaller version of St. Louis, or even Detroit.

You can't resolve serious issues while ignoring that they don't exist. I think that you took my comment way out of context. I don't want attention. My point is that Hartford is mired in this cloud not just seen from some "passive-aggressive flamer" like myself, but by thousands and thousands of downtown workers, outlying suburban residents, and even city residents. I likened it to a mini-Bronx because the same can be said there. If you ask people that live in the Bronx if they had a chance to get out, the majority would say yes. I have family that live off between Boston Rd. and Southern Boulevard. They see it as ghetto, but a ghetto that they can only afford in the city. Why pretend like there is nothing wrong with Hartford in the first place? Or offer no reasonable ideas about what government or people could do?

I personally think the city is on the upswing. I live in New England. I lived in Hartford and I am interested in what goes on there. However, the black cloud needs to come off and people need to get in there. People think of Hartford NOW as a ghetto, because essentialy , it is. These projects will certainly affect the city for the better....

I know that people tend to dwell more on negative than positive press, but I very rarely see posts on this forum about what's going on in the neighborhoods. Why is that? Why are the majority of the posts all about glitzy highrises? In case you haven't noticed, this is UP. ( urban talk) ...and with any urban area, there is good,bad, and ugly. .....And I don't really give a rat's ass about some glitzy tower ...I want to know about what's going on in the South End, Park St., or Blue Hills. I moved from Hartford 6 years ago, because it was ghetto....and I haven't been given any ideas that it has really changed since then. I've heard plenty of talk about downtown, which is great, but I can't afford a 500K condo on my own. I would move back to Hartford in a heartbeat if I thought that the NEIGHBORHOODS had changed. Personally, I'm a little tired of Providence. I think the housing prices are going to plummet here in the next 6 months. Do you think I would buy a property here now with the over-glorified market? No, but I would buy in a cool city like Hartford if I felt like I was getting a good deal and REAL changes were going on around town....and I bet a lot more people would to! What do you do? What do you suggest? Well, I don't know. I don't live there now, so I don't know what's going on there now...but I would sure like to...and I think some of you people here would be the best to provide that info to me and people that really want to know bout the city or what's going on around it.....How could you shame me or anybody else from thinking that Hartford IS a ghetto when all we see is murders and violence on the news? Do I or anybody else know what's really going on aound town? I don't know 1 thing about any neighborhood group, development agency,or non-profit that has brought real change to the city! ....because nobody even brings it up! I said that Hartford needs to get rid of that black cloud that it has hanging over its head. ...and I suggested that diversity is something that holds it back, but how could I make an "intelligent" comment when I'm not properly informd abiut what is really going on around the city?( even if the comments are taking out of context) You have to inform "ignorant" people like me what's up around town! And if "ignorant" people think that, imagine what prospective residents might think! Hasta luego...

You can't resolve serious issues while ignoring that they don't exist. I think that you took my comment way out of context. I don't want attention. My point is that Hartford is mired in this cloud not just seen from some "passive-aggressive flamer" like myself, but by thousands and thousands of downtown workers, outlying suburban residents, and even city residents. I likened it to a mini-Bronx because the same can be said there. If you ask people that live in the Bronx if they had a chance to get out, the majority would say yes. I have family that live off between Boston Rd. and Southern Boulevard. They see it as ghetto, but a ghetto that they can only afford in the city. Why pretend like there is nothing wrong with Hartford in the first place? Or offer no reasonable ideas about what government or people could do?

I personally think the city is on the upswing. I live in New England. I lived in Hartford and I am interested in what goes on there. However, the black cloud needs to come off and people need to get in there. People think of Hartford NOW as a ghetto, because essentialy , it is. These projects will certainly affect the city for the better....

I know that people tend to dwell more on negative than positive press, but I very rarely see posts on this forum about what's going on in the neighborhoods. Why is that? Why are the majority of the posts all about glitzy highrises? In case you haven't noticed, this is UP. ( urban talk) ...and with any urban area, there is good,bad, and ugly. .....And I don't really give a rat's ass about some glitzy tower ...I want to know about what's going on in the South End, Park St., or Blue Hills. I moved from Hartford 6 years ago, because it was ghetto....and I haven't been given any ideas that it has really changed since then. I've heard plenty of talk about downtown, which is great, but I can't afford a 500K condo on my own. I would move back to Hartford in a heartbeat if I thought that the NEIGHBORHOODS had changed. Personally, I'm a little tired of Providence. I think the housing prices are going to plummet here in the next 6 months. Do you think I would buy a property here now with the over-glorified market? No, but I would buy in a cool city like Hartford if I felt like I was getting a good deal and REAL changes were going on around town....and I bet a lot more people would to! What do you do? What do you suggest? Well, I don't know. I don't live there now, so I don't know what's going on there now...but I would sure like to...and I think some of you people here would be the best to provide that info to me and people that really want to know bout the city or what's going on around it.....How could you shame me or anybody else from thinking that Hartford IS a ghetto when all we see is murders and violence on the news? Do I or anybody else know what's really going on aound town? I don't know 1 thing about any neighborhood group, development agency,or non-profit that has brought real change to the city! ....because nobody even brings it up! I said that Hartford needs to get rid of that black cloud that it has hanging over its head. ...and I suggested that diversity is something that holds it back, but how could I make an "intelligent" comment when I'm not properly informd abiut what is really going on around the city?( even if the comments are taking out of context) You have to inform "ignorant" people like me what's up around town! And if "ignorant" people think that, imagine what prospective residents might think! Hasta luego...

Points well taken. I have posted some community news in the past and am very active in the community. I am on the Board of Directors of a Prominent North End Non Profit and work closely with North End polititians and community organizations. I can let you know that there are multi million dollar projects taking place in all of the neighborhoods. Streetscape Improvements on North Main, 2 new shopping plazas on North Main, Complete Renovation of the SAND Housing Complex on North Main. The Albany Ave. area will begin streetscape improvements soon and development at the fringe of the North End and downtown is eminent. The city has also opened up numerous magnet schools and is renovating most public schools with beautiful new additions. I will try to step up the neighborhood news as I propably know the most.

I am also trying to get out of my insurance job and get one with the city. I met with the head of personal a few weeks ago and just applied for a position within the public schools. If I get one of these positions I promise to provide updated information from the inside of city government.

Ok although I feel Hartford is not the ghetto nor on the other hand a Beverly Hills I feel that we need to continue the talks of all the glitzy stuff but also bring the same amount of information about whats happening in the other neighborhoods such as redevelopment, protests, news, violence, events, whatever it may be and I hopefully now with the help of Hartfordtycoon will try to bring this diversity to this section of UP

You can't resolve serious issues while ignoring that they don't exist....Why pretend like there is nothing wrong with Hartford in the first place?

No one here is ignoring Hartford's problems. You have to stop making things up - that is why many people here don't respect your views. That and the fact that you have used personal attacks numerous times.

I know that people tend to dwell more on negative than positive press, but I very rarely see posts on this forum about what's going on in the neighborhoods. Why is that? Why are the majority of the posts all about glitzy highrises? In case you haven't noticed, this is UP. ( urban talk) ...and with any urban area, there is good,bad, and ugly. .....And I don't really give a rat's ass about some glitzy tower ...I want to know about what's going on in the South End, Park St., or Blue Hills.

Ever think of starting a thread on Hartford's neighborhoods? If you are so interested, why haven't you done it already?

We're focusing on downtown for obvious reasons - it has the most action going on.

No one here is ignoring Hartford's problems. You have to stop making things up - that is why many people here don't respect your views. That and the fact that you have used personal attacks numerous times.

Ever think of starting a thread on Hartford's neighborhoods? If you are so interested, why haven't you done it already?

We're focusing on downtown for obvious reasons - it has the most action going on.

Drop it bud..You obviously didn't get my point. I don't live in the city! How would I be able to contribute when I don't live there? Well, wait...neither do you. Fortunately, Tycoon is willing to post articles on the neighborhoods and I look forward to reading them. ( like the one on Parkville)

I don't want acceptance bud. If that was the case, I would pretend I was straight and bring children into this world. I'm not that selfish! I want information regarding the city and what's going on around town. That's all I want to hear. Maybe you think that I'm a dick, but that's fine. I don't need respect. You're not a peer. You are somebody that could give me valuable insight on what's going on...and that I would truly respect. Thanks.

... but you would be able to pass judgement? Ridiculous.

Maybe you should drop it.

Yes, I CAN pass judgment as someone who reads the paper and follows the news. I only see what I see on the news. I rely on people like you, Luca, to supply me with things that are going on around the city. You would know a helluva lot more than I would. ...and not everybody that reads these forums are maricones frustrados como yo. There are many people that are genuinely interested in finding out about the city....Why don't you either drop the obvious animosity or contribute something that we are interested in? Thanks.

Sorry everyone, I haven't had a chance to really read the Hartford section in a few days.

They can ban me for that one boys and girls....

Your wish is my command. You are suspended for three days. If the other moderators agree, you will be banned. I'm not very good at sports, so I gave you more than three strikes.

That's right! ...and you are probably a fat ass with a gut(judging by your name)....Only I won't call you out on it! They can ban me for that one boys and girls....but isn't it funny how you interject with everything I say with some hag remark. Are you that interested in calling me out? I've already called myself out. Maybe you're a little "curious" because it's usually those types that always have something to say.... :ph34r:

You are banned. :yahoo:

Archived