Japanese Interest in Tennessee remains high

Rural King

Here is an interesting and informative article from the Tennessean discussing how the Japanese over the last 30 years have invested over 10 billion dollars into Tennessee and continue to view the state as the land of opportunity. The article makes clear that Japanese views remain positive, if not increasingly so, on the prospects of doing business in Tennessee as good business policy.

The article from the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS01/511210337

For anyone interested in learning more about Japanese views on and interest in Tennessee I would refer you to this book: "Japanese Industry in the American South" by Dr. Kim Choong Soon. It is from 1995, but provides excellent data and insight into the views of the Japanese business world in regards to doing business in the South, in particular Tennessee. It is an excellent read.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do business with several Japanese who have lived or do live in Tennessee. Every single one has told me how much they like Tennessee, what a good place it is to do business in, and how much they enjoy living here.

Tennessee feels much more like Japan to them than California. The green and the humidity of Tennessee remind them of Japan and the winters here a good deal similar as well. I think the vast majority of the Japanese that transfer from California to Tennessee for the Nissan Headquarters move will find that they like it here much better. I can't see anything but a continued interest in Tennessee by the Japanese for the foreseeable future.

An interesting item too. There is an old military prep school down around Sweetwater that is a school for Japanese children living in the U.S. I can't remeber the name of it though. Many of the Japanese executives living here send their children there because they do not like the schools here. This is a traditional Japanese school. I may not be 100% correct about this but its info an airline pilot who went to the military school gave me. This could be another factor why the Japanese like doing business here and living here.

Archived