Greenville, SC

darw10

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Greenville really is one of the nation's (if not the south's) best kept secrets. Most people have no idea what lies just north of I-85 when they drive through between Atlanta and Charlotte. I was very pleasantly surprised myself the first time I visited Greenville. It's a beautiful place! :lol:

There are a couple of very good Sushi Bars downtown: Tsunami is one, on East North. Wasabi is, I believe, the name of the newer one on the corner of South Main and Washington. I'm rather partial to Thaicoon Ricefire & Sushi Bar which is closer to my home.

Thanks! Greenville really is one of the nation's (if not the south's) best kept secrets. Most people have no idea what lies just north of I-85 when they drive through between Atlanta and Charlotte. I was very pleasantly surprised myself the first time I visited Greenville. It's a beautiful place! :lol:

There are a couple of very good Sushi Bars downtown: Tsunami is one, on East North.

yea, tsunami was where i was at. Great place, met alot of awesome people there.

Seems like greenvilles downtown got it right, i didnt get the "this downtown sucks" vibe when i was there, it was more like "whoa, this place is really nice" :shok: . I live in spartanburg for the time being, ill have to come down there more often now :thumbsup:

Only 56,000 eh? I would of thought they had more then that.

It should be stated that the city's daytime population is over 200,000. The latest estimate has Greenville County at just over 400,000 now. I believe the 2000 census numbers will have grown considerably come next census. :)

A Greek Orthodox Cathedral in downtown Greenville.

IMGA0100.jpg

I love this photo of Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral. It's one of my favorites, partially because you can see Montebello on the mountain side in the background.

One of the cool little things about Greenville is the Annual Greek Festival held each May at Saint George. If you enjoy (or wish to experience) Greek Food, Culture, Music, and Traditional Folk Dance, you've got to take in a day of this festival. The Baklava, Spanokopita, and Pastichio are absolutely yummy ... to die for!

yea, tsunami was where i was at. Great place, met alot of awesome people there.

Seems like greenvilles downtown got it right, i didnt get the "this downtown sucks" vibe when i was there, it was more like "whoa, this place is really nice" :shok: . I live in spartanburg for the time being, ill have to come down there more often now :thumbsup:

How funny! I was at Tsunami on New Years Eve as well. Its my all time favorite sushi place ANYWHERE.

Greenville, South Carolina is very much a fusion of the old and the new. The photos that you selected are of one particular building that is part of a 9-building development called "RiverPlace" along the South Bank of the Reedy River in Greenville's West End. Most of the buildings in this development are very modern.

You will find that many cities in the United States have modern buildings beginning to appear; however, they're usually low-rise office buildings in master planned office parks on the outskirts of the cities...at least that's been my experience having lived in Orlando, Florida and Greenville, South Carolina and having visited Colorado Springs and Denver, Colorado often. For example, I look no further than the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research being developed along I-85 in Greenville. Currently, BMW's Information Technology Research Center (BMW ITRC) is complete with more buildings on the way, most of the same type of architecture.

Thanks for the info! I've heard of master planned communities before, I thought it was a relatively modern phenomenon.

There's (roughly) similar office parks along highways here too, like the BMW ITRC.

and on that pic of St George's Cathedral, it looks just as if the Cathedral is in the middle of the mountains..

Thanks, g-man430!

Here are a few more:

Bank of America Tower (to be renamed to "101 North Main" in the near future):

83630983_ddd173730a.jpg

The old Liberty Building can be seen peeking above the roofline of some of the South Main Street buildings:

83630982_0a32421883.jpg

City Tavern (formerly known as Tassey's Tavern) Could use a Face Lift (in my opinion):

83630981_800dbccd5b.jpg

A View of South Main Street looking North from near the new West End Ballpark:

83630980_a72fdc2c57.jpg

The roofline of Rocks and Ropes on South Main Street near the new West End Ballpark:

83630979_8725228b23.jpg

Some park goers watch their children mount a hill in Falls Park on the Reedy River:

83389711_eda06e2283.jpg

Office Towers along Beattie Place:

80549878_4af190fbb6.jpg

Sunset falls on the Shops at Greenridge, an Outdoor "Lifestyle" Shopping Center at the junction of Woodruff Road, I-385, and I-85:

81792545_03e1da0187.jpg

Some park goers play fetch with their dog near the Lower Falls at Falls Park on the Reedy River:

81792547_63cf970802.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update:

Poinsett Plaza, the Poinsett Parking Garage, and the Downtown Baptist Church on West McBee Avenue:

91232155_e38da9aecf.jpg

91229927_143b4f36c3.jpg

91229930_810fa1222b.jpg

Fountain on the corner of Richardson Street and West McBee Avenue outside of the Greenville Transit Authority's Transfer Station:

91229928_2425ea5b50.jpg

Low Rise Office Buildings along West McBee Avenue:

91229929_b52b2a2884.jpg

Flaming Fountain outside of the Piedmont Natural Gas Building on West McBee Avenue:

91229931_636cbb2bc8.jpg

The Galaxy is in Orion's Belt:

91232154_c47eebe2dc.jpg

Bank of America Tower (soon to be re-named to 101 North Main) seen here from Washintgon Street:

91232156_ac03eaf2c9.jpg

Construction continues on the Field House at West End Mixed Use Development adjacent to the new West End Ballpark:

91232158_555b9e459b.jpg

Sculptures outside of the Main Branch of the Greenville County Library System:

91232159_063302ea75.jpg

The Greenville County Library System's Main Branch (Extreme Left):

91232160_a0a9a041d1.jpg

The History Museum of Upcountry South Carolina (adjacente to the Main Library):

91233612_bf537db89e.jpg

Former Coca-Cola bottling plant converted into what soon will be a satellite gallery of the Bob Jones University Museum and Gallery:

91233613_d98a7e2452.jpg

That's all for now! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived