101191138_a9c1e47cda.jpg

The clock in front of the Historic Liberty Building:

101193384_88eeb09a98.jpg

New Visitor-Friendly "Wayfinder" Signs:

101193385_482ee708ba.jpg101193386_27eab878ac.jpg

A collage of architectural styles at Liberty Square along College Street:

101196756_3030e38996.jpg

Spring is in the Air!

Early Spring Daffodils along the hillside at the foot of the South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities in Falls Park on the Reedy River:

101837010_67ee869cd3.jpg

Construction is wrapping up at the Greenville Drive's new West End Ballpark:

103592927_117acf892b.jpg

103966899_ac83eb0bfd.jpg

VISIT BEAUTIFUL DOWNTOWN GREENVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA, USA!

I believe I've seen you post some pics of some of these buildings before. I find them interesting because we have some buildings goin up in my metro that look a lot like this. I've also seem some renderings of more buildings with a style similar to this that will be going up in the near future. Seeing them here gives me a glance at what they might look like in my own metro.

101187935_f0a8e89637.jpg

Yes, it was an old stage coach factory. President Bush has spoken there a couple of times. :thumbsup:

They even converted it into an ice skating rink one winter.

It's great to see an older building being re-used like this, very interesting.

I have a question is this pic of the pavilion from an older building or was it built this way. To me it almost looks like a older building converted to it's current use.

Here's an interesting site that shows before and after photos of this building:

http://www.greenvillesouth.com/pavil1.html

• 2 months later...

Thought it was time to add a few more to this list. Greenville is far too photogenic to ignore. One thing you'll quickly notice is the amount of GREEN in Greenville.

Early Sunday Morning shots:

Court Square, looking up a sidewalk along Main Street, standing next to City Hall.

MainStreet02.jpg

North Main Street, looking north from the edge of Piazza Bergamo.

MainStreet03.jpg

South Main Street, looking south toward the historic Westin Poinsett Hotel. Later in the day, the sidewalks will be bustling with pedestrians and sidewalk diners enjoying the beautiful green canopy.

MainStreet04.jpg

Court Square, looking at the historic Westin Poinsett Hotel.

MainStreet07.jpg

Court Square, looking north toward Wachovia Place and the historic Liberty Building.

MainStreet05.jpg

Falls Cottage, standing next to South Main Street, near the Reedy Falls.

FallsCottage.jpg

Artisphere 2006, Greenville's annual international arts festival. This was a slightly rainy saturday in the early afternoon, when the crowd levels were not at their peak. Dispite the spotty rain showers, the festival was another great success overall.

South Main Street, looking south toward Falls Park on the Reedy.

Artisphere01.jpg

Bryan Olsen, Art in Action artist performs onstage to famous rockstars as he paints them with animated enthusiasm.

Artisphere04.jpg

Fairly crowded South Main Street, looking north toward The Peace Center and downtown.

Artisphere03.jpg

Falls Park on the Reedy, as people walk between entertainment venues and artists' booths.

Artisphere02.jpg

Artisphere05.jpg

People of all ages have plenty to see and do.

Artisphere06.jpg

Thought it was time to add a few more to this list. Greenville is far too photogenic to ignore. One thing you'll quickly notice is the amount of GREEN in Greenville.

Early Sunday Morning shots:

Court Square, looking up a sidewalk along Main Street, standing next to City Hall.

MainStreet02.jpg

North Main Street, looking north from the edge of Piazza Bergamo.

MainStreet03.jpg

South Main Street, looking south toward the historic Westin Poinsett Hotel. Later in the day, the sidewalks will be bustling with pedestrians and sidewalk diners enjoying the beautiful green canopy.

MainStreet04.jpg

Court Square, looking at the historic Westin Poinsett Hotel.

MainStreet07.jpg

Court Square, looking north toward Wachovia Place and the historic Liberty Building.

MainStreet05.jpg

Falls Cottage, standing next to South Main Street, near the Reedy Falls.

FallsCottage.jpg

I plan on getting a few pics of an afternoon when the sidewalks are full of pedestrians. I promise to post them here as well. :thumbsup:

The more pictures I see of this city, the more I seriously want to visit. It does look very crisp and clean, and so many buildings and areas just look brand new. Even the city buses look awesome... unlike most other city buses.

Great photos, guys! :)

Thank you for the nice compliments toward our lovely city. I would gladly accept credit for the beauty of these shots, but this is simply Greenville being itself. As you can see, it is a very photogenic place. Now if only you could walk the streets and hear the many different languages being spoken everywhere...

Moonlight Movies in May just started back up tonight. Despite the poor quality of this shot, you can clearly see that Greenville has captured the old days and placed it in a "new" setting. This is the Peace Center Amphitheatre, and just beyond the screen is the Reedy River, and RiverPlace, currently under construction.

MoonlightMovies01a.jpg

Another shot of North Main Street on Sunday.

MainStreet08.jpg

Another shot from Artisphere. This is South Main Street in the historic West End district, looking south.

Artisphere07.jpg

One side of the World-class Peace Concert Hall at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts, taken about a month ago in early Spring. In the foreground is the Peace Center Amphitheatre, where many events are held year-round.

PeaceCenter01.jpg

The colonial-style First Citizens Building, looking across Academy Street.

FirstCitizens01.jpg

Coming from the Hartford area, I can understand those numbers really well.

We have a "city limits" population of about 121,000 and a county population of about 810,000. If you mapped out our metro area to the size of a comparable city like Charlotte, we are between 1.4 and 1.7 million depending on who's counting.

Hartfordniceskyline.jpg

Doesn't look like - Hartford: Population 121,000 does it?

Sometimes it's a numbers game. Ask Jacksonville. ;)

BTW, very nice pictures of Greenville. I used to live in Charlotte and could not stand the congestion or the 2 hour drive to foothills. If I knew about Greenville, I might have went there instead! Nice city.

Lots of cities are layed out like this. Boston and Atlanta come to mind. Boston for example only has about 575,000 people in the city limits yet it has at least 6 million in the metro. Atlanta's city proper has 425,000 and 5.25 million in the metro.

• 1 month later...

I love upstate South Carolina. My aunt has lived in upstate SC since the mid 1980s. She loves it, as does her family. She lived in Easley for awhile, now she lives in Anderson.

If I were to move away from northeast Tennessee, northwest South Carolina would be one on my list to consider.

I have never personally been to Greenville though. If we were to visit there, say, next week (Week of June 17th), what would be some good family activities? Any nice parks there?

I love upstate South Carolina. My aunt has lived in upstate SC since the mid 1980s. She loves it, as does her family. She lived in Easley for awhile, now she lives in Anderson.

If I were to move away from northeast Tennessee, northwest South Carolina would be one on my list to consider.

I have never personally been to Greenville though. If we were to visit there, say, next week (Week of June 17th), what would be some good family activities? Any nice parks there?

You're in for a great big treat if you've never been to Greenville but like the rest of the Upstate. :D:thumbsup:

Here are a few websites guiding you to a few key places of interest in and around Greenville. We definitely have parks here! In fact, you'll be very pleased with Falls Park on the Reedy and Linky Stone Children's Park in downtown. Both are World-class and very attractive for families. Nearby is Cleveland Park and the Greenville Zoo, an adorable little zoo tucked into a tree-shaded hillside very close to downtown. Your kids - and you parents as well - would enjoy the Mice on Main scavenger hunt. Following clues you can obtain at the Visitors' Center in City Hall on Main Street, you search high and low up and down our award-winning Main Street until you find all of the bronzed "furry" little fellas.

Definitely consider taking your family to the South Carolina Children's Theatre performance of Disney's Alladin Jr. that weekend at the World-reknowned Peace Center for the Performing Arts on Main Street. I have already seen this performance and it is fabulous. I have also been to countless other performances by SCCT and they are simply incredible, drawing talent from across the East Coast.

The Greenville Drive, our local minor league baseball team will be in town that weekend as well. That would be another wonderful opportunity to have fun with the family, in a beautiful new ballpark dubbed "The Fenway of the South." The field was designed to the exact dimensions as the original in Boston.

Many more things to see and do in Greenville!

Shakepeare in the Park

Archived