Greenville, SC

darw10

Skyliner has got this covered pretty much. I might add that if you're planning this thing out, which it seems you are, you're going to want to allot a lot of time for downtown Greenville. You can spend an entire day here and more enjoying what there is to offer.

We are home to Bob Jones Art Museum which features one of the world's best collections of Christian art. They have a satelite museum downtown, which may be worth checking out if you don't want to venture out to see the entire museum on Pleasantburg Drive. Also, the Greenville County Art Museum is a great museum and I'm not sure if it's still there, but the Jasper Johns' collection was in town and might still be around. If so, it may be worth your time.

I also wanted to add that Skyliner mentioned our minor league baseball team. You might be thinking no for that because it's minor league and what's the big deal... Well, just to clarify, we have a new ballpark in the West End, a district of downtown. The ballpark is more reason to go than the game itself (haha). Like he said it's a replica of Fenway Park and it's a very intimate experience. Personally I'd say atleast give it a thought. Like downtown, nothing is left to be desired! :thumbsup:

I hope you enjoy your visit! Let us know how it was and we'd love to see pictures :D

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Skyliner and GvilleSC pretty much covered the bases. You absolutely MUST take in a ballgame at West End Field, I have to suggest this. You can't go wrong with the Saturday Morning Farmers Market between East and West Court Streets. Downtown Alive and Main Street Jazz are held every Thursday and Friday Evenings, respectively. Much, much more to see and do. If planning your visit, you may also want to check out the EVENT CALENDAR for things scheduled to take place that week, too.

Both Skyliner and GvilleSC pretty much covered the bases. You absolutely MUST take in a ballgame at West End Field, I have to suggest this. You can't go wrong with the Saturday Morning Farmers Market between East and West Court Streets. Downtown Alive and Main Street Jazz are held every Thursday and Friday Evenings, respectively. Much, much more to see and do. If planning your visit, you may also want to check out the EVENT CALENDAR for things scheduled to take place that week, too.

Skyliner, GvilleSC and RT covered it very well. I would add to make sure and stop in a couple of the unique retail stores along Main. Mast General Store is fantatsic for adults and children both. Plan to spend a couple of hours there. Also, at Falls Park, be sure not only to see the Liberty Bridge and Falls, but take time to go through the whole park. More waterfalls (smaller) are waiting downstream from the main falls.

The Swamp Rabbit Railroad Pedestrian Bridge over the Reedy River:

143784566_3c97399558.jpg

The Wyche Pavilion at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts:

143784565_f6913eee11.jpg

The Liberty Bridge:

143784559_401a35e9be.jpg

Shoeless Joe Jackson Statue:

141566235_5ece9b555e.jpg

Greenville seen from Paris Mountain:

138711579_aed61fe07a.jpg

Falls Park on the Reedy River:

133108183_aad461c65e.jpg

Liberty Square Highrises:

145628123_82314d36f2.jpg

A Packed House at West End Field catch a Greenville Drive Ballgame:

153964777_f21f7d56f9.jpg

Greenville from Linky Stone Park:

160455468_6a9fbd8005.jpg

RiverPlace along the Reedy River:

166909894_2993724103.jpg

The RiverWalk at RiverPlace along the Reedy River:

166921308_a8c51f22b6.jpg

Thanks folks for all of the information on "things to do" in Greenville. We are still deciding on what to do on our vacation week. While we were planning on going to Anderson, Greenville would definitely be on the list to visit. We had four options. One was go to Anderson and other areas in upstate SC, another was to visit my great aunt in Jacksonville, FL. Another was to visit other family in Raleigh, NC and then drive on down to Wilmington for a beach vacation, but now with the recent flooding in Raleigh, we do not want to go over if it is going to be a mess. Lastly, was to stay here in Tennessee and do nothing. :D Knowing us, we will probably end up in the Smoky Mountains / Gatlinburg area again like last year. We came back through my dads old hometown of Maryville, which is southwest of Knoxville and drove past Knoxville, but did not stop, like we did a couple of years ago.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Archived