Hillcrest and the Heights

• 3 weeks later...

I think the design criteria should be pretty stringent pretty much anywhere on Kavanaugh, whether in the Heights or Hillcrest. Nobody wants buildings that are grossly out of place constructed there.

I am eager to see construction begin. I ate at Canon Grill Friday and I have to admit that the boarded-up building across the street was kind of out of place and really left a bad mark on the area.

Since the chain reaction has started, I wonder what will happen with the old US Pizza. I'm not TOO worried as I've never seen a restaurant space on Kavanaugh stay vacant for long.

We lived on Kavanaugh briefly in a house just down from Beechwood. Our old house has been redone and looks beautiful, but the house on the corner has been torn down and it looks as if apartments are being placed there. I just hope they keep the style and don't do what some builders in Little Rock have done and agree to meet standards and then ignore them.

We lived on Kavanaugh briefly in a house just down from Beechwood. Our old house has been redone and looks beautiful, but the house on the corner has been torn down and it looks as if apartments are being placed there. I just hope they keep the style and don't do what some builders in Little Rock have done and agree to meet standards and then ignore them.

Are you talking about the lot at Kavanaugh & Rose?

• 2 weeks later...

The Quapaw Quarter has a pretty active preservation organization, the Quapaw Quarter Association, that has helped to drive and support preservation efforts in the QQ and in MacArthur Park as well. Their website is www.quapaw.com.

The Central High area is just to the west of Quapaw and also has some great houses, though it doesn't have the reinvestment in it at this point that Quapaw does. Still some great houses there too.

If you are interested in preserving historic neighborhoods in LR/NLR and around the state or just interested in historic preservation in general, you should check out the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas (www.preservearkansas.org).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There appear to be some new plans coming for the oddly-shaped building at the northwest corner of Markham and Kavanaugh. Item 15 on the LR planning commission agenda indicates that plans have been filed, but because the item was deferred until the April 12 meeting, there is no description of the proposal. The agenda does state that the building will remain a commercial space. Currently, I believe at least part of the building houses a store selling home d

There appear to be some new plans coming for the oddly-shaped building at the northwest corner of Markham and Kavanaugh. Item 15 on the LR planning commission agenda indicates that plans have been filed, but because the item was deferred until the April 12 meeting, there is no description of the proposal. The agenda does state that the building will remain a commercial space. Currently, I believe at least part of the building houses a store selling home d

Its oddly shaped b/c that's the existing building at that acute intersection. That intersection (Stifft Station) is a GEM waiting to be redeveloped. Truth be known, its holding its own as it is. Let's hope its something of quality.

Is that where the owner of Loca Luna and Bene Vita is putting in the BBQ restaurant? I read about needing to change the zoning for it.

Its oddly shaped b/c that's the existing building at that acute intersection. That intersection (Stifft Station) is a GEM waiting to be redeveloped. Truth be known, its holding its own as it is. Let's hope its something of quality.

I sure hope that whatever moves in is of more quality than the tattoo operation just west of the building.

Is that where the owner of Loca Luna and Bene Vita is putting in the BBQ restaurant? I read about needing to change the zoning for it.

Mark Abernathy's proposed BBQ place is on Woodrow between 7th and 630.

You know, I'm as progressive as anyone about development of mid-town, but I gotta admit, he's really hanging it out there on that one! So cool if it works, and its fairly close to our house in Hillcrest!

I guess it'll have more visibility than Whitewater Tavern but yeah, that's pretty ballsy.

I agree Stifft Station is already pretty cool and has tons of potential beyond that. I'm hoping property values will keep going up and pull up Capitol View as well.

• 1 month later...

There has been an item before the Little Rock Planning Commission for the last couple of months, concerning this property. However, because the item has been deferred, each month, there has been no description on the item. Needless to say, something has been set in motion by the property owners, and we'll eventually know about it, via the planning agenda. Stay tuned.

There has been an item before the Little Rock Planning Commission for the last couple of months, concerning this property. However, because the item has been deferred, each month, there has been no description on the item. Needless to say, something has been set in motion by the property owners, and we'll eventually know about it, via the planning agenda. Stay tuned.

Jerry Meyer is the property owner... He is also on the planning commission. His real estate business is located in the old Neighborhood Watch center that is right there on Markham. At least one of the deferrals was because the property owner failed to notify the neighbors of the pending action. I would expect a planning commission to know that. Lets hope he knows to recuse himself too.

From what little I know, it seems that Mr Meyer appears to using his public position for private gain. Hopefully, it only looks that way.

Jerry Meyer is the property owner... He is also on the planning commission. His real estate business is located in the old Neighborhood Watch center that is right there on Markham. At least one of the deferrals was because the property owner failed to notify the neighbors of the pending action. I would expect a planning commission to know that. Lets hope he knows to recuse himself too.

From what little I know, it seems that Mr Meyer appears to using his public position for private gain. Hopefully, it only looks that way.

That property sold in 2002 for $125,000 and this year sold for $350,000. Not a bad profit.

Apparently there's a rezoning request to make half of the building residential, the other half will be kept commercial. No specific plans were listed.

That property sold in 2002 for $125,000 and this year sold for $350,000. Not a bad profit.

Apparently there's a rezoning request to make half of the building residential, the other half will be kept commercial. No specific plans were listed.

I read that to mean that they were going to "clean up" the platt such that it wasn't split and that it would be one "use" (i.e. commercial). I could certainly be wrong though.

I read that to mean that they were going to "clean up" the platt such that it wasn't split and that it would be one "use" (i.e. commercial). I could certainly be wrong though.

It wouldn't make sense to use it as anything but commercial to me, but what do I know?

A restaurant would be perfect there if parking could be dealt with.

That building was a nice pickup at that price in 2002.

It wouldn't make sense to use it as anything but commercial to me, but what do I know?

A restaurant would be perfect there if parking could be dealt with.

That building was a nice pickup at that price in 2002.

I overheard a conversation saying that a bicycle shop was to move in at that location. But I don't have details, and I can't substantiate. I think such a business would be good in that area. Wasn't it Chainwheel that bugged out of Hillcrest some years back?

I overheard a conversation saying that a bicycle shop was to move in at that location. But I don't have details, and I can't substantiate. I think such a business would be good in that area. Wasn't it Chainwheel that bugged out of Hillcrest some years back?

There was Paul's bike shop. Chainwheel was in the Heights. Then Chainwheel opened a store in Hillcrest after the Ice House redevelopment. Somewhere in there Chainwheel opened the Rodney Parham store. The partnership that grew out of the Hillcrest location became Bikesellers.com.

Anyone here remember the heavy metal paraphernalia store that existed for a little while? That was the days of Judas Priest, Ratt and Twisted Sister and parachute pants. It sold pins, posters, iron-ons, shirts, brass knuckles etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...