Hillcrest and the Heights

According to the Arkansas Times, a European-style cafe by the owner of Boulevard Bread Company in the Heights will be going into that unique building that once housed the wallpaper company at Markham and Kavanaugh. It will be a bohemain-type cafe and wine bar at night.

That's sweet! And 2 blocks or so from where I live when I'm home.

It's so good that Boulevard is doing well; anyone who hasn't been there definitely needs to check it out (Heights or Rivermarket).

• 1 year later...

Anyone know what happened to Laughing Moon Cafe? Did they move or fall victim to the bad economy?

The woman who bought Sufficient Grounds and then made the brilliant decision to change the name to Laughing Moon apparently decided she didn't want to run a coffee house and closed it with no warning. Not a smooth move as it's a lot easier to sell a going concern than one that's been shut down.

The woman who bought Sufficient Grounds and then made the brilliant decision to change the name to Laughing Moon apparently decided she didn't want to run a coffee house and closed it with no warning. Not a smooth move as it's a lot easier to sell a going concern than one that's been shut down.

Wow how sad and stupid. I loved eaing breakfast there

• 3 months later...

The lot between Pine and Cedar, south of Markham (currently an abandoned motel) is zoning agenda item again. But instead of Walgreen's, it's now USA Drug that wants to locate there. The item was to be on the commission's June meeting, but has been pushed back to July. Will be interesting to see if this one flies. I know Walgreen's ran into some resistance because of their long business hours. Never a problem with USA Drug.

The lot between Pine and Cedar, south of Markham (currently an abandoned motel) is zoning agenda item again. But instead of Walgreen's, it's now USA Drug that wants to locate there. The item was to be on the commission's June meeting, but has been pushed back to July. Will be interesting to see if this one flies. I know Walgreen's ran into some resistance because of their long business hours. Never a problem with USA Drug.

Hopefully USA Drug goes in at that location. I always prefer a hometown company to a national one. Not to mention that the abandoned motel needs to be razed post-haste. That thing is a terrible eyesore. I am surprised with all of the construction and expansion by UAMS that they never bought it and leveled it just to get it gone.

Hopefully USA Drug goes in at that location. I always prefer a hometown company to a national one. Not to mention that the abandoned motel needs to be razed post-haste. That thing is a terrible eyesore. I am surprised with all of the construction and expansion by UAMS that they never bought it and leveled it just to get it gone.

In Sunday's Arkansas Democrat Gazette it said that a Walgreen's will be on the property where the Economy Inn now stands.

In Sunday's Arkansas Democrat Gazette it said that a Walgreen's will be on the property where the Economy Inn now stands.

Am I getting my run down motels mixed up or is this a conflicting report? The Economy Inn is the lot south of Markham between Pine and Cedar right?

Edited by ndark

Am I getting my run down motels mixed up or is this a conflicting report? The Economy Inn is the lot south of Markham between Pine and Cedar right?

They are contradictory. Here is the link for the USA Drug sketches.

http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/...-C%20Sketch.pdf

However, it says that they've requested a deferral until the July meeting, so maybe they didn't have possession of the land and knew that Walgreen's was coming back. Don't know, but if anyone can enlighten.

They are contradictory. Here is the link for the USA Drug sketches.

http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/...-C%20Sketch.pdf

However, it says that they've requested a deferral until the July meeting, so maybe they didn't have possession of the land and knew that Walgreen's was coming back. Don't know, but if anyone can enlighten.

From that sketch, I would think it's poor design to have a driveway between the intersections of Pine & Cedar onto Markham. Seems that it would add congestion since there are already lights on Markham at Pine & Cedar.

From that sketch, I would think it's poor design to have a driveway between the intersections of Pine & Cedar onto Markham. Seems that it would add congestion since there are already lights on Markham at Pine & Cedar.

I travel these intersections frequently and fully agree that the Markham Street driveway is a really bad idea. If it's approved it would join the other two mistakes on Markham, namely the old MacDonalds location east of Van Buren and the one for Chick-fil-A west of University. Permitting left turns, for high-traffic businesses, on a four lane street with no center turn lane is just poor planning.

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread here, but the Park Arms apartments (on Markham, across from the UAMS dorms, west of Walnut Street next to the KFC/Taco Bell) were torn down in March & site prep has begun for an Arvest branch bank & associated office complex. There were 4 shotgun houses behind the apartments that were also torn down. I live across the street from the lot and get to enjoy the commotion of the site work everyday :P My wife & I actually rented an apartment in the Park Arms & moved out shortly before they were torn down. I figure they were built either in the late 1940s or early 1950s, based on some interesting Art Deco elements that the building had but which were hidden by awnings and the like. It surprises me that they're building a branch bank in the current economy, but whatever...

The old Economy Inn between Cedar & Pine has been boarded up since Fall 2008 at least, I've been hoping someone will make a decision on what to do with it soon. Walgreen's, USA Drug -- I don't care, just get rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread here, but the Park Arms apartments (on Markham, across from the UAMS dorms, west of Walnut Street next to the KFC/Taco Bell) were torn down in March & site prep has begun for an Arvest branch bank & associated office complex. There were 4 shotgun houses behind the apartments that were also torn down. I live across the street from the lot and get to enjoy the commotion of the site work everyday :P My wife & I actually rented an apartment in the Park Arms & moved out shortly before they were torn down. I figure they were built either in the late 1940s or early 1950s, based on some interesting Art Deco elements that the building had but which were hidden by awnings and the like. It surprises me that they're building a branch bank in the current economy, but whatever...

The old Economy Inn between Cedar & Pine has been boarded up since Fall 2008 at least, I've been hoping someone will make a decision on what to do with it soon. Walgreen's, USA Drug -- I don't care, just get rid of it.

A building permit has been issued for Walgreen's. Work should start soon.

• 5 months later...

I drove by Movie Gallery in Hillcrest the other night, and was surprised to find it closed. Actually, the more I think about it, I'm not surprised...given the fact that between Red Box (which I've never done) and On-Demand/Streaming Rentals (iTunes/PS3/XBox/Tive/Netflix) - physical rental stores are a dying breed.

I drove by Movie Gallery in Hillcrest the other night, and was surprised to find it closed. Actually, the more I think about it, I'm not surprised...given the fact that between Red Box (which I've never done) and On-Demand/Streaming Rentals (iTunes/PS3/XBox/Tive/Netflix) - physical rental stores are a dying breed.

I miss movie gallery. Sometimes I just like going to the rental store to pick something out, but rarely do anymore.

Along the same lines, the Station Grocery is closing as well. It was a nice addition to the neighborhood, but I never saw it lasting.

Walgreens is coming very well as well. I noticed exterior walls are up.

Edited by hogwash

I miss movie gallery. Sometimes I just like going to the rental store to pick something out, but rarely do anymore.

Along the same lines, the Station Grocery is closing as well. It was a nice addition to the neighborhood, but I never saw it lasting.

Walgreens is coming very well as well. I noticed exterior walls are up.

The Station Grocery? The place at Stiff Station...already? I suppose the fact that I don't even know the name of it is telling.

The Station Grocery? The place at Stiff Station...already? I suppose the fact that I don't even know the name of it is telling.

That's the one. It was nice place, nice people. It was intended to offer more locally grown (Arkansas) produce and products, sort of a green alternative and what not. It just never seemed like they were very well merchandised.

Kroger announced today that they're closing the Hillcrest location at the end of January for a 6-9 month complete renovation. It will be expanded, and will become what Kroger calls a "fresh-fare" store, with more produce and perishables. It will also feature a hot bar that will prepare take-home meals and a sushi bar.

As I live in the neighborhood and shop this location, it will be inconvenient for a while, but it should be worth it! It's enough of an expansion that they're adding up to 30 employees.

Apparently not. No mention of it being two-story.

Look to see the backroom/prep areas of the store added to a second story. This would include the deli/bakery prep areas, meat market prep area, offices, break rooms, etc. This would allow for an expansion of the sales floor area on the main floor.

I spend a lot of time working in Kroger stores and this is what I've heard through the grapevine but I could very well be wrong.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...