Hillcrest and the Heights

Three of the oldest buildings in the Heights. Located at the St. John Catholic Center these buildings were constructed for Little Rock College in 1916, which shut down in 1929.

My aunt in Oklahoma found an old college annual in a garage sale for "Little Rock College" and gave it to me. I didn't know until I perused it that it was located at what is now the seminary. However, I just thought that "Little Rock College" was the forerunner of Little Rock University (now UALR), but I take it from your post that wasn't the case.

My aunt in Oklahoma found an old college annual in a garage sale for "Little Rock College" and gave it to me. I didn't know until I perused it that it was located at what is now the seminary. However, I just thought that "Little Rock College" was the forerunner of Little Rock University (now UALR), but I take it from your post that wasn't the case.

UALR started out as Little Rock Junior College in 1927 after the UA stopped offering extension courses in Little Rock. It opened at the Little Rock High School location and was under the administration of the LRSD until 1959, two years after it became LRU.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know what is going in to the old Satellite Cafe location? It has a now hiring sign.

According to reports in the Democrat-Gazette and Arkansas Times, it's a restaurant called Seoul, so it's assumed to be Korean. They've applied for a liquor permit.

According to reports in the Democrat-Gazette and Arkansas Times, it's a restaurant called Seoul, so it's assumed to be Korean. They've applied for a liquor permit.

I found this article on Seoul.

Arkansas Times Article

Sounds interesting, but I wish Satellite had made it through the renovation attempt. I loved their brunch on the weekends. Thankfully, The House in Hillcrest has filled that void somewhat.

Edited by schwilj

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Don't know where else to put this but this seemed close enough.

Cantrell Road from N. Hughes to Mississippi has been under construction for the last six months or so.  It was my understanding that the moving of underground lines and the demolition of the liquor store at Cantrell and N. Hughes was for the widening of Cantrell Road to add a center turning lane.  The underground lines have been moved, the sidewalks have been reconstructed, and...it doesn't seem like there is enough room for a fifth lane.  Were there ever plans for a fifth lane?  If not, why did the liquor store have to go?  

Don't know where else to put this but this seemed close enough.

Cantrell Road from N. Hughes to Mississippi has been under construction for the last six months or so.  It was my understanding that the moving of underground lines and the demolition of the liquor store at Cantrell and N. Hughes was for the widening of Cantrell Road to add a center turning lane.  The underground lines have been moved, the sidewalks have been reconstructed, and...it doesn't seem like there is enough room for a fifth lane.  Were there ever plans for a fifth lane?  If not, why did the liquor store have to go?  

I was driving down this section of Cantrell on Saturday and thought the same thing myself about room for a turn lane.  The plans call for two 12 foot lanes in each direction and a 11 foot turn lane.

• 2 months later...

I was driving down this section of Cantrell on Saturday and thought the same thing myself about room for a turn lane.  The plans call for two 12 foot lanes in each direction and a 11 foot turn lane.

Plans also apparently called for the inclusion of ugly giant utility poles lining the street...seriously, all that work and we just put back the same ugly stuff (fully recognizing that burying utilities is quite expensive...but they were doing work anyway).

Plans also apparently called for the inclusion of ugly giant utility poles lining the street...seriously, all that work and we just put back the same ugly stuff (fully recognizing that burying utilities is quite expensive...but they were doing work anyway).

Don't even get me started on that!

At least the ugly poles are out of the street.  For a few weeks there, the poles were 3 feet in the lane with new asphalt nicely surrounding the poles.  They were protected by some orange barrels.  

• 3 months later...

Wendy's on Cantrell across from Edward's Food Giant is no more.  All Wendy's signs were removed.  

I'm not sure whether this is related to a reduction in sales due to the road construction or whether the lease was up.  I'm told the store was closed and the signs removed the week of Christmas. 

10 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

Wendy's on Cantrell across from Edward's Food Giant is no more.  All Wendy's signs were removed.  

I'm not sure whether this is related to a reduction in sales due to the road construction or whether the lease was up.  I'm told the store was closed and the signs removed the week of Christmas. 

I frequented the drive-through fairly regularly, so this is an inconvenience for me.  I know someone at Wendy's corporate, and asked them about the closing.  I gathered from what was inferred that the location needed to be renovated (wholeheartedly agree!), but the numbers didn't justify it.  Then again, you let the place run down, traffic suffers.

It's shocking, frankly, that this location was closed...given its solid location.

My wife and I noticed this coming back from travel the week after Christmas, we frequently went visited this Wendy's due to the close proximity to our house.  I am sad to see it go although as Architect said, it absolutely needed a face lift.  I do wonder if the slim chickens opening up affected it as well, I only went to Wendy's for their spicy chicken sandwich and after Slim's opened we definitely decreased the amount of visits to Wendy's, I just wasn't a fan of their burgers.  

I hope something else takes it's place soon.  A taco/burrito place would be nice :D  

2 hours ago, Gentileking said:

My wife and I noticed this coming back from travel the week after Christmas, we frequently went visited this Wendy's due to the close proximity to our house.  I am sad to see it go although as Architect said, it absolutely needed a face lift.  I do wonder if the slim chickens opening up affected it as well, I only went to Wendy's for their spicy chicken sandwich and after Slim's opened we definitely decreased the amount of visits to Wendy's, I just wasn't a fan of their burgers.  

I hope something else takes it's place soon.  A taco/burrito place would be nice :D  

Suppose that La Hacienda could move over from its spot in the former Hop Drive-In to handle that. Barbecue would be a good fit, too, in order to bring back an option that left with the closure of the Terry Lynn's branch in the area.

• 9 months later...
17 hours ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

Saggio, the specialty oil and vinegar shop in the Promenade at Chenal, has opened a branch in the Heights Theater, in the former Beauty Geek space. After some exits and downsizing of Heights businesses this year, it's nice to see another new arrival.

That's great news!  I wondered how it would do in the Promenade.  Good to see it did well enough to open a second location! 

• 1 year later...