Hillcrest and the Heights

On 12/8/2017 at 10:34 AM, Arkanzin said:

Arkansas Burger Company closed a month or two ago.  The marquee out front now states it will be a new location for Casey's BBQ.   Casey's was located  on Reservoir Road.  I think the previous location is now the parking lot for Walgreens.  

I sincerely hope it's that same Casey's BBQ, which always had some of the best smoked chicken on their menu.  Their property on Reservoir was only part of what was razed to make way for Walgreens. A former TCBY-turned-tobacco shop, an Exxon gas station/convenience store combo, and a Captain D's (fronting Rodney Parham) were all knocked out along with the Casey's building.

• 1 year later...

To add to the Heights/Hillcrest thread, there is a new restaurant development under construction in Hillcrest just west (and directly adjacent to) U.S. Pizza.  I've talked to the architect and it sounds like a very interesting concept with lots of retro interior and outdoor seating.  I'm looking forward to it!

• 1 month later...

From today's DemGazette:  J. McLaughlin is opening a new location at 5919 Kavanaugh Blvd. in the Heights.  It's a national retailer with 140 stores, not a local venture.  I think it's interesting since most of Heights/Hillcrest are local retailers.  This may portend a new trend of specialty retail being specifically targeted in locales that cater to their demographic.

On a related note, the same article states that Baumen's Men's store, the mainstay high-end men's retailer both at Pavilion in the Park and downtown in the Capitol Hotel, has been purchased by the Walker Brothers, who own stores in Fayetteville and Rogers.

• 1 month later...

So the Meteor, the trendy coffee/bicycle shop at Sifft's Station (formerly Spokes) announced it was closing, which in and of itself is a bit of a surprise.  But THEN they announce that they aren't just closing, but MOVING their operations to Bentonville.

I don't know about you, but that it more than a bit strange.  If you want to move or open another store, or even put emphasis on another market, then by all means, do so...but it isn't a zero sum game.  Our company has multiple offices in multiple cities.  We don't close one so that we can open another.  This, right after Allied Cycle Works - a carbon fiber bike fabrication company in Little Rock - announced it was being "moved" by its owners, Walton heirs, to Rogers.

I'm not typically a conspiracy theorist, but all of this is a bit more than coincidental to me...maybe too coincidental.  One wonders if they were "paid" to move their operations AND close an otherwise, viable business (I presume).  Just me?

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, Architect said:

So the Meteor, the trendy coffee/bicycle shop at Sifft's Station (formerly Spokes) announced it was closing, which in and of itself is a bit of a surprise.  But THEN they announce that they aren't just closing, but MOVING their operations to Bentonville.

I don't know about you, but that it more than a bit strange.  If you want to move or open another store, or even put emphasis on another market, then by all means, do so...but it isn't a zero sum game.  Our company has multiple offices in multiple cities.  We don't close one so that we can open another.  This, right after Allied Cycle Works - a carbon fiber bike fabrication company in Little Rock - announced it was being "moved" by its owners, Walton heirs, to Rogers.

I'm not typically a conspiracy theorist, but all of this is a bit more than coincidental to me...maybe too coincidental.  One wonders if they were "paid" to move their operations AND close an otherwise, viable business (I presume).  Just me?

I’ve read that NWA has become something of a biking destination because of all of the trails up there but Little Rock has a large biking community as well. It does seem strange that two bike companies have closed shop and moved to NWA. Why couldn’t they keep their stores open here and have stores there? Is this another central Arkansas v. northwest Arkansas thing?

On 11/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, Architect said:

I don't drink coffee, but I find this incredibly disappointing.  It always looked full and was a trendy spot to say the least.  I know of several people from out of town who mention that it is one of their favorite places in town. Sad.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Markham Street Road Diet

"Markham Street is dangerous.  In addition to the inherent dangers of a four-lane street in an urban environment ........, Markham between Kavanaugh and Pine stretch is particularly dangerous because it divides two residential neighborhoods (Stifft Station and Hillcrest), it's sidewalks are narrow and have utility poles in the middle of them, and it's topography makes sightlines short...  There is a high crash frequency, especially in the Stifft Station Business District .......", from the City Of Little Rock.  To correct this problem the City has been awarded funding to reconstruct Markham from Pearl Ave.( on the east, to Cedar St.( on the west). The Street will go from four lanes down to two with a center turn lane.

• Like 1