Your Favorite US City Skyline

jctim

• 1 month later...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite Minneapolis shots:

69313626.p7VLIsqs.MM1_2661resize.jpg

Unfortunately those university buildings kind of block some of the skyline on the right side but oh well, still looking good. Just imagine the Nicollet in there along with the rumored supertall next to the foshay. Actually, I just realized you can't even see the Foshay from this angle...

With all the recent condo projects going up to the skyline and density keep getting better over the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to really big cities, I'll be very, very dull and say:

New York - crossing the river and looking back towards Manhattan is always, always majestic.

San Fran - ditto, coming over the Bay Bridge

As for smaller cities:

Asheville - the scale is perfect, and the suddenness of the view depending on how you come into the city makes it quite striking

^ The view of Manhattan down the NJ turnpike is quite dramatic, as is going down 90/94 past central Chicago in which you get the "long" angle view. I-95 around Philly is also dramatic because it weaves around close enough to DT giving you a good 20 minutes of face time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Cincinnati has an absolutely beautiful skyline. I'm not sure though if I've ever really seen or taken a picture from an angle which does it true justice. No matter what you do, it seems like you're missing something.

Cleveland has a nice skyline too. I liked how in the one view the buildings start small on the sides and gradually get bigger until you get to Key Tower in the middle. If Cleveland could ever get some infill to compliment that trend, that would be a really great, balanced, and complete skyline.

• 2 months later...

Chicago's my favorite, and for some reason I'm a fan of Peoria, IL's skyline as well. KC's is impressive, it seems big for a metro area's of its size, as does Toronto's. And I'd have to agree with Asheville - and it's a charming city to boot. Little Rock's is impressive as well, I think it plays the localized hills very well.

In no particular order, my favorites are:

NYC (of course)

Chicago (another duh choice)

Atlanta (capital of the new south, I love some of the buildings there and the linear skyline is attractive)

Seattle (possibly my future home, great architecture, lovely geography)

Charlotte (got to represent the QC, other than my bias it definitely competes with cities twice its size. In 5 years it will be among the likes of Seattle and Minneapolis, IMO)

Well, I'm from Richmond, and, while I may be a little biased, it actually has a wonderful skyline... it's too bad more people don't know about it.

Here's some pictures I got in google:

rich-skyline.jpg

killerview_jefferson.jpg

Richmond.jpg

richmond.jpg

As for rankings, here we go:

1. Chicago

2. Dallas

3. New York (without the new WTC- with, it would be #1)

4. Seattle

5. Philadelphia

6. San Fransisco

7. Los Angeles

8. Pittsburgh

9. Richmond

10.Denver

Archived