More Chattanooga Wal-Mart Growth

HABANERO7

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hendersonville finally has one supercenter. I would guess it was probably one of the larger cities in this nation without one. For what it's worth, it's nice for a Wal-Mart, all Brick/Stone and with a Subway instead of a McDonald's...lol.

Something interesting which seems very uncharacteristic of Wal-Mart is that they bricked over the old grey/blue facade of the Gallatin Supercenter (only a few years old) after the Hendersonville one was built. I wonder if this was in response to that or because of new regulations from the city of Gallatin which went into effect right after Wal-Mart was built.

Hendersonville finally has one supercenter. I would guess it was probably one of the larger cities in this nation without one. For what it's worth, it's nice for a Wal-Mart, all Brick/Stone and with a Subway instead of a McDonald's...lol

That does seem to be the prototype for newer Wal-Marts

Germantown (Memphis) just recently razed the old Wal-Mart store afetr it closed and moved to Cordova and becoming a Supercenter. A Super Target is right next door and just about 2 months ago the Kmart Supercenter closed it's doors.

I would like to see Meijer enter the TN market. They are from Michigan I believe. I remember seeing them in KY, IN and Ohio (I think).

Wal-Mart scares me. At the rate they continue to expand they may one day monopolize the retail to such a degree that they would be detrimental to the nation. I shop at Target and at Aldi for groceries for that reason.

As an employee of McKee Foods (makers of Little Debbie products) I'm especially scared of Wal-Mart. They currently have about 30% of our entire business. They have considerably higher shares than that of hundreds of other companies. They have the power to put many of these companies completely out of business with one retailing decision. As a result, they have tremendous leverage over these companies, and their purchasing agents are notoriously ruthless. They're never satisfied with the pricing they get from their suppliers and continuously apply pressure to have them lower and lower their prices. This in turn can drive them to unprofitability. Wal-Mart plans to open over 500 more Supercenters nationwide this year. Somehow they think that they can continue to grow their $285 Billion business at adouble dogit rate forever. That, of course is not possible; but I think Wal-Mart will do just about anything to try to make it so.

Bu the way, look for the No. 21 Wood Brothers Ford Fusion Little Debbie car driven by Ken Schrader in next year Nextel Cup series. A huge picture of Little Debbie will be seen right on the hood! We're really excited to get into Nextel Cup sponsorship.

Hey Hankster,

You work for McKee? Cool! Do they do tours? We have a church group thats going to be up that way at the end of the year... we did a kelloggs tour in Michigan and they LOVED it... we are going to be in Chattanooga for about 3 days... so it might be nice to go there for 2 or 3 hours... is it close to Southern Adventist University? Well... sorry to bug you... but I think its pretty cool you work for them... is it a cool company to work for?

Germantown (Memphis) just recently razed the old Wal-Mart store afetr it closed and moved to Cordova and becoming a Supercenter. A Super Target is right next door and just about 2 months ago the Kmart Supercenter closed it's doors.

I would like to see Meijer enter the TN market. They are from Michigan I believe. I remember seeing them in KY, IN and Ohio (I think).

I love Meijer for what it is. It's a lot closer to a Super Target than Wal-Mart IMHO. Don't they cary brand-name clothes?

Wonderful. So basically any potential retail growth that might have taken place in these once charming little towns over the next 20 or 30 years...and maybe alot of the existing retail that has been there for awhile, will be no more. Look, I like saving money just as much as the next guy, but is no longer having a town and plowing over who knows how many acres of pleasant forests and farms really worth saving 7 cents on a six pack of coca cola?

I'm with you 100% on that one BNA. I hate Walmart, and refuse to shop there. They are building a SuperWalmart next to the Bellevue Mall in hopes that it will revive business for the mall. Oh Okay, whatever you say. I think that the one on Charlotte Pk. is just two miles away. So, I guess that means that they really are going to try for every street corner. Will it ever end?? The opinion is really mixed, and most Bellevue residents don't really see a need for it. Most, that I've talked to anyway, would rather see a Target, or at least something slightly more upscale. We ARE talking about Bellevue here, LOL.

In my neck of the woods Wal-Mart is going gung-ho on the SuperCenters this year. Martin, Humboldt, Milan, and Brownsville (or so I've been told, have not been around B-ville to know it for a fact) are all getting them. Fulton just got one last October, which put out the local EW James this past August, which was a nice store. All the new towns they are building SCs in are EW James towns too, and I wonder how many will be able to weather them, esp. since Fulton couldn't. I think Martin can because of the college and having enough folks who won't want to shop there, but the other markets will probably be in fights for their survival.

We already have SuperCenters (outside of Memphis metro) in Union City, Paris, Jackson, Dyersburg, Huntingdon, Lexington and Bolivar. The Jackson, Union City, Paris, and Dyersburg stores have been around for years, the UC store probably opened in 96-97 if I remember right, and Paris was slightly before that, and certianly Jackson had one before either of those.

The first Super Center in the state was in Dickson. I was in high school when it opened. I can remember (of course this is back when Bellevue Center was THE mall to go to too) people from West Tenn places like Lexington would come to Dickson to shop and then go on to Bellevue. You could always look in the parking lot and see people from as far away as like Cookeville. So weird. After I got to college (Cookeville) I worked for Kroger and learned that when the Dickson super center opened that Kroger sent people from all over the state to investigate the store. Basically they were planning to see how it would impact their business.

I remember that the Dickson super center closed about 4-5 family-owned grocery stores and along with the Bellevue Center shopping convenience the two devistated Main Street which was where my Mom always took us to get clothes and stuff like that.

Wal-Mart serves its purpose but it needs to be controlled. Bring on Meijer and Super Target!

I remember that the Dickson super center closed about 4-5 family-owned grocery stores and along with the Bellevue Center shopping convenience the two devistated Main Street which was where my Mom always took us to get clothes and stuff like that.

Wal-Mart serves its purpose but it needs to be controlled. Bring on Meijer and Super Target!

That is such a sad story. I'm sorry to hear that. It frustrates me when I hear about so many people getting hypnotized by the prospect of saving literal pennies on things. Where have our collective principals gone? Where has our concept of individuality and history and sticking up for the little guy gone? These used to be American values but now they all seem to be pushed to the side if it means we'll have an extra dollar in our wallets. I'm sorry for ranting like this, but it really makes me sick. I hate wal-mart with a passion. Can a bunch of houses with a bombed out, once thriving downtown strip with a giant super wal-mart in the middle really be considered a 'town' anymore? In order to be a "community" there used to be certain qualifications a place had to meet such as a social fabric and a center where people could gather. I'm sorry, but the checkout aisle at wal-mart does not count as a social center.

I love Meijer for what it is. It's a lot closer to a Super Target than Wal-Mart IMHO. Don't they cary brand-name clothes?

I used to be a Grocery Manager for Meijer in Lexington, KY. There are two stores in that market. Let me tell you that Meijer is a clear choice for me when it comes to shopping. I would shop no where else if we had one here. Now on to reality.

It will be some time, if ever, before we see a Meijer down here. It is a privatly held, family owned company that is expanding rather slowly. Wal Mart has hurt them on their own turf (Michigan) and the company had to lay off some mid-level managment employees a couple of years ago. I do believe they have turned it around, but the fact that everything is locked up in the Meijer family keeps the company from growing faster. I don know for a fact that there are plans to go south of Lexington into Tennessee, but those plans were put on hold after 9-11.

The stores are huge, even by Wal Mart standards, but they are very nice to be in. Upscle, clean, and comfortable. They have unique designs for the new stores both inside and out. The closest thing we have to a Meijer grocery department is a Publix. That is the closest thing we have at the moment. I sincerly hope that Meijer will look this way in the future, but you have to understand that alot of what goes on there is controlled by the unions that represent the hourly employees. Here are a couple pics of Meijer stores

ps08qp3t.gif

This look identical to the one I worked at in Lexington, KY.

trip_l23.jpg

05-03-14_05-meijer.jpg

I had to delete a post just now. Lets keep our remarks substantial if possible, and if we are going to try to be humerous or express our dislike of Wal-Mart conciseness is best. The post was just too long and unsubstantial to keep up, this is a fairly serious forum, and while I don't mind some humorous or goofy posts that are in context with the general topic and/or are related, I would prefer they be done sparingly and concisely. Thanks!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Hey Hankster,

You work for McKee? Cool! Do they do tours? We have a church group thats going to be up that way at the end of the year... we did a kelloggs tour in Michigan and they LOVED it... we are going to be in Chattanooga for about 3 days... so it might be nice to go there for 2 or 3 hours... is it close to Southern Adventist University? Well... sorry to bug you... but I think its pretty cool you work for them... is it a cool company to work for?

I apologize for not responding to your post until now. I suppose it's too late for your visit in Chattanooga. A tour of Little Debbie would be fun for most anybody. They incorporate some of the latest food manufacturing technologies and are extremely efficient. Problem is the company only does tours for family members. They're afraid company secrets will be found out. It is located next the the Southern Adventist University. I certainly hope you enjoyed your visit to Chattanooga, if it's already taken place. If not, send me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone number. I'd be glad to show you around town, if you're interested.

Yes, it's a great company to work for.

We are not talking about saving "Pennies." You can save almost 50% on groceries bought at wal-mart as compared to those bought at those poor little "other" grocery stores. One example: A package of Oscar Meyer oven roasted turkey costs about $4.99 at kroger...you can buy the same thing at WAL*MART for $2.50! This is the case in most items. Let's just remember that WAL*MART was once a small grocery store...they are where they are today because they were good at what they did.

We are not talking about saving "Pennies." You can save almost 50% on groceries bought at wal-mart as compared to those bought at those poor little "other" grocery stores. One example: A package of Oscar Meyer oven roasted turkey costs about $4.99 at kroger...you can buy the same thing at WAL*MART for $2.50! This is the case in most items. Let's just remember that WAL*MART was once a small grocery store...they are where they are today because they were good at what they did.

WalMart does have good prices, but they don't have the lowest prices in Tennessee by a long shot. The lowest prices are at Aldi Food Stores. They've just moved into the Chattanooga area with a store at the intersection of East Brainerd and Brainerd Rd. They have a good number of stores in the Nashville area too. Aldi's prices are much, much lower than Walmart's. It's amazing!

Kroger pays much higher wages, benefits, and is at least willing to allow unions, unlike Wal-Mart, which is all about low wages/benefits with absolutely no tolerance for any notion of unionization.

Plus, stores and chains like Kroger ahve much better produce, fresh meats (Wal-Mart doesn't even have butchers), variety, etc. On most products of the same brand I don't notice that big of a difference in pricing, on a view things that Wal-Mart can leverage their suppliers on there is, but on the whole I'd rather spend a little more at a independent, local chain, or a national supermarket chain than spend my money at Wal-Mart, esp. if that retailer provides better wages and benefits like a Kroger or Schnucks. The quality of service, cleanliness, and atmosphere is much better at most local markets compared to a SuperCenter. If I really want cheap groceries though Aldi (as stated by Hankster) or Sav-A-Lot are good options too, plus many Save-A-Lots have very good fresh meat departments.

• 4 weeks later...

Chattanooga's newest Wal-Mart Super Center is hosting its grand opening Tuesday January 31st at 7:30 AM. This store is located on the West side of Chattanooga just over from Covenant Transportation right off I-24 accessible from the Lookout valley / browns ferry exits.

With that said it leaves 2 more Wal-Mart Super Centers to open in Chattanooga, One in the area above downtown at the foot of Signal Mountain and the other on the east side of town up I-75 just off the Ooltewah exit.

In the article about the Wal-Mart grand opening this information was given...

As of December 2005: Wal-Mart employed 41,017

As of October 2005 Wal-Mart was operating in Tennessee:

- Super Centers: 80

- Discount Stores: 16

- Neighborhood Markets: 6

- SAM

• 4 weeks later...

We have two (2) Super Wal-Marts in the city of Bristol. One in Bristol, TN (on the south side) and the other in Bristol, VA (on the northeast side). The one in Bristol, VA is just off of exit 7 I-81 and was built around 1993-1994. It has been an extremely successful store and has led to the explosive development of that area, which is now like a mini-city in itself.

The old Wal-Mart in Bristol, TN on West State St. remained open, until October of 2003, when another brand new Super Wal-Mart was built and opened in October of 2003 in south Bristol, TN just off of the Volunteer Parkway near the Bristol Motor Speedway. It too is successful and is now helping aid the development on that side of the city.

If I am correct- there are at least one Super Wal-mart in Johnson City, one in Kingsport - not to mention the others in the smaller cities surrounding the Tri-Cities metro area. Strange- Bristol has the lower population of the Tri-Cities, but the only one (so far) with two Super Wal-Marts. Perhaps it is where Bristol is spread out more than JC or KPT?

Archived