Picture of the Day in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I also really love that sculpture as well. I'd love it if Crystal bridges would get some more sculptures like that. Maybe have like a little grove of them. Although Roxy Paine does do other types of art as well. He has another one in the temporary gallery. It's more along the lines of his more realistic small plant works. It basically looks like a large plot of ground was picked up and set on a table.

Yeah I also really love that sculpture as well. I'd love it if Crystal bridges would get some more sculptures like that. Maybe have like a little grove of them. Although Roxy Paine does do other types of art as well. He has another one in the temporary gallery. It's more along the lines of his more realistic small plant works. It basically looks like a large plot of ground was picked up and set on a table.

Yeah, I saw that too... I'll stick to the metal trees. :D

I love the Roxy Paine piece, but I'm a little concerned about lightning. Is that thing designed to handle a lightning strike? Considering it sits up pretty high and is made of stainless steel I'm just curious how safe the museum entrance would be during a thunderstorm. Just an observation...

I hadn't thought of that. But overall I think most people would be safe. Although the main entrance is right there, I think a lot of people enter from the parking area off to the side. I haven't actually seen where it actually leads into the complex. I usually walk around to take a closer look at Roxy Paine's Yield. But I would hope that someone took the whole thing into account and properly grounded the sculpture.

I hadn't thought of that. But overall I think most people would be safe. Although the main entrance is right there, I think a lot of people enter from the parking area off to the side. I haven't actually seen where it actually leads into the complex. I usually walk around to take a closer look at Roxy Paine's Yield. But I would hope that someone took the whole thing into account and properly grounded the sculpture.

I believe I read that a grounding system was installed when they put in the extensive anchoring system, but that's been a while ago and I don't recall exactly. Considering he's done several similar sculptures I'm sure they have a system down for it by the time Yield was installed.

I believe I read that a grounding system was installed when they put in the extensive anchoring system, but that's been a while ago and I don't recall exactly. Considering he's done several similar sculptures I'm sure they have a system down for it by the time Yield was installed.

True, this certainly isn't his first metal tree-like sculpture. Although the tree does stand out in that particular area. There's a bit of a gap before you have other trees. But if I remember correctly although the sculpture is higher than the surrounding entrance area. I think the forested area further back is up a bit more in elevation. Not to mention some of those real trees are also much taller. So you'd think lightning would be more likely to strike one of those.

Yeah, I saw that too... I'll stick to the metal trees. :D

Yeah can't argue with you there. I much prefer the metal tree sculptures of his as well. Have you actually had a chance to see it in person, or just judging from pictures?

Archived