Restaurants Columbia Should Have

sonofaque86

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck yeah its about time we get a topic like this! Ok here I go: PF Chang's, Red Robin, Pizzeria Uno's(there's one in lexington but not columbia), On the Border, Jack in the Box, Bruegger's Bagels, Cheddar's, Tony Roma's, Showmars, Max & Erma's, California Pizza Kitchen, Bennigan's, Boston Market, Qdoba Mexican Grille, Johnny Rockets, and the unlikely ones: The Capital Grille, CheeseCake Factory, Morton's, McCormick & Schmik's, Sullivan's, McIntosh Steakhouse.....to be continued lol

I didn't know anything about Jack in the Crack (nickname) until I came up to Rock Hill to attend Winthrop...the restaurant chain just isn't all that popular in the South. The SC locations are all restricted to the Upstate and the NC locations are in the Charlotte and Hickory metro areas. Tennessee and Louisiana are the only other two Southeastern states with Jack in the Crack restaurants.

Hey, at least Columbia is getting a Ruth's Chris steakhouse. I've never eaten there before, but I hear it's good.

Showmars is great, but it's a chain localized to the Charlotte metro area.

I could see Columbia landing a Cheesecake Factory in the near future.

Columbia used to have a Krystals (across from the original Columbia H.S.), and a Spaghetti Factory. Yeah it could stand to have quite a few national chain restaraunts but that won't make it any more distinguised. I'd like to see some unique dinning options move into the Vista, Vista West, or 5 Points. It would be nice to have a restaraunt that says hey you can't experience this any place else other than Columbia.

Ruth's Chris? Where exactly? I havent heard about it coming to columbia....and usually i am the first to hear lol jk..........oh one more thing Wild Wings is coming to Columbia FINALLY!!!!! THANK GOODNESS! It is so much better than Carolina Wings :yahoo:

Ruth's Chris is opening in the Hilton. I'd like to see a Hamburger Mary's.

Okay...What restaurants or food establishments do you think Columbia could use....We really need a White Castle...My dad is from the north and he got me eating those...They are the best...Hey, but if we can't get that, I'll take a Krystals :D ...Any other things?

Blasphemy!!

Krystals is the best. Hot, good....and SOUTHERN!

Tell your dad to adapt! :lol:

Jack in the Box is pretty good. They have weird commercials, awsome curley fries, and great oreo shakes. But outside of that its pretty standard.

Krystals would be good accross SC. There are a few around, but they aren't as common as I'd like.

But when to comes down to it the best fast-food burger in Columbia is Rush's, so any other option is really unnecessary. I wish one were downtown. I'd like to see a few more chain restaurants in and around downtown. Perhaps more local chains like Fatz and Sticky Fingers. I didn't like having to drive to Harbison for that type of thing.

I'd cast my vote for less national chains. Why not just go to Anywhere USA if you're craving these places? For Columbia to be distinguished, we need unique places to eat, relax, and play that you can't get anywhere else. Take Charleston as an example with its unique restaurants. I think loading up the Vista, downtown and 5pts with national chains is a major mistake and a great way to prevent Columbia from gaining an indentity.

Personally I'd like to see:

- More locally run "everyday" food places that have good (and somewhat good for you) eats at reasonable prices. Cat and Cleaver is a perfect example of this.

- At *least* one vegetarian restaurant. We've lacked this since the Basil Pot went under. Preferably, a high(er)-end gourmet place with good service and creative entrees.

- More outdoor street dining in the Vista and city center. 5pts has a major advantage in this area.

I'd cast my vote for less national chains. Why not just go to Anywhere USA if you're craving these places? For Columbia to be distinguished, we need unique places to eat, relax, and play that you can't get anywhere else. Take Charleston as an example with its unique restaurants. I think loading up the Vista, downtown and 5pts with national chains is a major mistake and a great way to prevent Columbia from gaining an indentity.

Personally I'd like to see:

- More locally run "everyday" food places that have good (and somewhat good for you) eats at reasonable prices. Cat and Cleaver is a perfect example of this.

- At *least* one vegetarian restaurant. We've lacked this since the Basil Pot went under. Preferably, a high(er)-end gourmet place with good service and creative entrees.

- More outdoor street dining in the Vista and city center. 5pts has a major advantage in this area.

Excellent points all, Digihoop. I couldn't agree with you more about the need to create a local dining culture and not just replicate the same restaurants that you can patronize in any metro area in the country that has obtained a specified density/demographic.

The more local and unique dining options available in Columbia, the better for all. SC should really make more of its heritage and promote locally grown foods and down-home recipes that may not be widely known outside of the area. I always enjoy trying a locally-owned restaurant with my family when I am visiting town.

While I am all for creating as many local businesses as possible, national chains establish some sort of 'credibility' -- you can finally say youre a big town if you have _____ like Atlanta does. Obviously you dont want them to dominate, but I think their existance can be beneficial to the community. Just read the first half dozen posts or so on this thread, and you will see what I mean. People like chains, particularly ones they can only fiind large cities.

While I am all for creating as many local businesses as possible, national chains establish some sort of 'credibility' -- you can finally say youre a big town if you have _____ like Atlanta does. Obviously you dont want them to dominate, but I think their existance can be beneficial to the community. Just read the first half dozen posts or so on this thread, and you will see what I mean. People like chains, particularly ones they can only fiind large cities.

I agree. Why not mix the national chain restaurants with local restaurants. Locals and visitors like dining at local restaurants, but it's also nice to see an establish chain restaurant in the mix. People like seeing what they know when they're away from and at home. I would love to see some chain restaurants come to the Vista to mix in with the locals. I hate driving to the burbs for lunch because I only have a few choices of the chain restaurants that I know and like.

It would be cool if a Columbia native that has "made it big" would come back to the city and open up a restaurant, like P. Diddy has done with "Justin's" or Gladys Night with her "Chicken & Waffles" restaurants.

I think Main Street could use a nice, classy bar, something like Blue Restaurant & Bar in uptown Charlotte.

What about Rio and Jammin' Java and Mac's on Main?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived