Restaurants Columbia Should Have

sonofaque86

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but Tem I thought you like national chains, ie P.F. Changs and such? ;) By the way I haven't eaten at Santorini Grill, but if it's better than Carrabas then I'm gonna do some damage!

Sandy, it's a real treat in an unexpected place. It is a little bit more pricy than Carrabba's, but worth it.

With clothes im all about chains....but with food i can go either or....i mean come on now....authentic mexican(especially Casa Linda and Don Pedros) is waaay better than Taco Bell or jack in the box.....and Zorba's and Santorini kills Showmars(in CLT) or Olive Garden/Carabba's.....and of course there are pizza places that are independantly owned that taste way better than pizza hut or domino's....and Chinese as well....Chen's on Two notch tastes better to me than PF Chang's....there is something about the sauce and/or oils that give it a big difference....PF Chang's is very gasy the one time i went....maybe i just didnt get the right meal...i dono...by the way.....my uncle owns Santorini :) and no that wasn't a biased opinion i made about it...the food is outstanding! It really is lol

Well it's hard to beat out Charleston's dinning scene. It's pretty much on par with cities New York, Chicago, D.C., etc.. But thanks for the good words! :D

No problem man! ;) Actually, my wife and I ate at Santorini's for the first time 2 weeks ago, and it was excellent. This place mixes Greek and Italian, and they do it rather well. I don't know if it is better than Carrabba's, but it definitely is on the same level. Their bread and oil with the herbs was outstanding! This is the kind of local restaurant Cola needs to promote and have more of.

Tem, your uncle has done a great job. :D

No problem man! ;) Actually, my wife and I ate at Santorini's for the first time 2 weeks ago, and it was excellent. This place mixes Greek and Italian, and they do it rather well. I don't know if it is better than Carrabba's, but it definitely is on the same level. Their bread and oil with the herbs was outstanding! This is the kind of local restaurant Cola needs to promote and have more of.

Tem, your uncle has done a great job. :D

Thank you :)

Never been to PF Chang's, but after looking at their webiste I found that SC and Miss. are the only southern state that do not have one. I feel left out :cry:

Mississippi and SC are usually always the ones that are left out on alot of things....

Is Mississippi getting one anytime soon? At least we'll get off this list soon.

I don't think that SC is as left out as you may think. Our tourism industry actually ensures that we do get some things that we may not have otherwise gotten.

why are all of you in denial? its the truth, we're always behind on things, and I wish it weren't like that but that's how it is...just admit to it...there's nothing we can do about it

LOL, dude you are wild. How am I in denial? Would Myrtle Beach have a Hard Rock Cafe (only one in the Carolinas), Medieval Times (only one in the Carolinas), or PlanetHollywood (only one in the SOUTHEAST outside of Florida) if not for tourism? Would Charleston have a Gucci (only one in the Carolinas) if not for tourism? Although tourism isn't a major economic generator, it does ensure that South Carolina doesn't get left out on everything. And that, my friend, is the truth.

LOL, dude you are wild. How am I in denial? Would Myrtle Beach have a Hard Rock Cafe (only one in the Carolinas), Medieval Times (only one in the Carolinas), or PlanetHollywood (only one in the SOUTHEAST outside of Florida) if not for tourism? Would Charleston have a Gucci (only one in the Carolinas) if not for tourism? Although tourism isn't a major economic generator, it does ensure that South Carolina doesn't get left out on everything. And that, my friend, is the truth.

There's more to the meaning of "being on top of things" than just some restaurants and the smallest Gucci that i've ever been to in my life, you can barely fart without the whole store smelling it....(been to the one in Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Short Hills, NJ and Philly and are much bigger and actually carry clothes and not just shoes and purses)......anyways, I think i've mentioned enough in past posts on my opinions for columbia not being the capital city it should be

OK, let's back up so that you don't try to change the context in the middle of the discussion.

In regards to PFChang's not having restaurants in SC and MS (as of yet), you said, "Mississippi and SC are usually always the ones that are left out on alot of things...." Note that the context of the discussion was dining (shopping is a related category).

I then said that SC's tourism industry ensures that SC isn't left out on everything as far as dining and shopping are concerned. I read nothing of SC not "being on top of things." If that's the case, then nothing around here can compare (including [y]our beloved Charlotte), because who can compete with NYC, Chicago, LA, Miami, and Atlanta? Now, if you're speaking in terms of economy and population, then you would have an argument, but that wasn't the context of the discussion. :thumbsup:

Who cares if South Carolina is the last to get some restaurant or some over-priced clothing store? Most of these stores locate in larger cities, which SC doesn't have. You talk about going to these places in Boston or Chicago, but that is comparing apples to oranges. SC might not be first to get some things, but we are not last to get everything, and that is a fact.

Who cares if South Carolina is the last to get some restaurant or some over-priced clothing store? Most of these stores locate in larger cities, which SC doesn't have. You talk about going to these places in Boston or Chicago, but that is comparing apples to oranges. SC might not be first to get some things, but we are not last to get everything, and that is a fact.

Which is precisely the reason why our major SC cities should strive to become major metros equivalent to Charlotte and Jacksonville. If our primary cities in this state were that big, we wouldn't even have this thread! :whistling:

btw, pf changs is opening soon in gville and mb and ruth chris is comming to cola, chas and mb. also chas has only one of a handful of orient express (hotel/resort) properties in the world. guys don't worry about char, A LOT of the residents there are ego-maniacs and have an inflated opinion of their city. besides i'll take jax over char any day.

btw, pf changs is opening soon in gville and mb and ruth chris is comming to cola, chas and mb. also chas has only one of a handful of orient express (hotel/resort) properties in the world. guys don't worry about char, A LOT of the residents there are ego-maniacs and have an inflated opinion of their city. besides i'll take jax over char any day.

I hope you werent referring to me...cuz im from Columbia; and it's not like im the only one who dislikes Columbia.....most of my friends and family are the same way. It depends what kind of person you are I guess. I know people from CLT that dream to be in ATL, i know people in NYC that dont like it there, i know people from Boston that dislike it and bow down to NYC.....I also know people from Columbia that like Charleston better because its a beach city, it just depends what youre into....

I hope you werent referring to me...cuz im from Columbia; and it's not like im the only one who dislikes Columbia.....most of my friends and family are the same way. It depends what kind of person you are I guess. I know people from CLT that dream to be in ATL, i know people in NYC that dont like it there, i know people from Boston that dislike it and bow down to NYC.....I also know people from Columbia that like Charleston better because its a beach city, it just depends what youre into....

That is exactly correct. It is all a matter of preference. I personally think Cola is not that great, but I would prefer something closer to the coast like my hometown. Tablrock, I'm with you on Jax, though. I love that city! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know that Hop's closed, or that Hooters moved. Too bad for Hops. They had good rolls. Not as good as Fatz Cafe, but pretty good.

Yeah there are only two left in the Carolinas, one in Spartanburg, and one in Charlotte........their service sucked, and their menu is not big at all, and very overpriced....$13 for a specialty salad....i can get a whole meal at Chili's or Olive Garden for less than that.....

Archived