Restaurants Columbia Should Have

sonofaque86

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mr.chips, so glad you liked Thai Dish. I was there the first week they opened and was the only diner in the place. It was good and I really hoped they would succeed, so I wrote Free Times about them.

About three weeks later FT did a favorable review!!! Yea! I hope they make it. Tell all your friends.

mr.chips, so glad you liked Thai Dish. I was there the first week they opened and was the only diner in the place. It was good and I really hoped they would succeed, so I wrote Free Times about them.

About three weeks later FT did a favorable review!!! Yea! I hope they make it. Tell all your friends.

The power of the people! I like it.

• 2 years later...

Thought I would bring some life back to this topic.

The main restaurant I would like see come to Columbia is P.F. Chang's China Bistro. I have visited their web site to request they consider Columbia many times but I guess no luck so far. If you agree that you want them lets all send them a comment. They are in Greenville and Myrtle Beach...why not here? Augusta has one and Charlotte now has two! I think Village at Sandhill would be a good location.

Thought I would bring some life back to this topic.

The main restaurant I would like see come to Columbia is P.F. Chang's China Bistro. I have visited their web site to request they consider Columbia many times but I guess no luck so far. If you agree that you want them lets all send them a comment. They are in Greenville and Myrtle Beach...why not here? Augusta has one and Charlotte now has two! I think Village at Sandhill would be a good location.

Don't forget that VAS already has Red Bowl Asian Bistro. Not quite as locally-owned as Miyo's/MCafe/etc. but it is local to SC (the first one opened in the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area). And it actually is very competitive with P.F. Chang's in terms of food, decor, style, price, etc., but my wife and I like Red Bowl better. A PF Chang's MAY be viable in downtown or perhaps Harbison, but it would be absolutely cannibalistic at VAS with Red Bowl and the upcoming Miyo's.

I think my problem is that I am tired of the same old chains (ruby, applebees, chili's, etc). I want new choices. I understand that Columbia lacks the numbers...it's not hard to see why we don't with the decisions of our local and state gov. I would love a great Thai place too but in Irmo would work nicer for me. When I go to a majority of the restaurants around and open the menu I swear I am no where different. With the exception of the more elite places downtown.

I think my problem is that I am tired of the same old chains (ruby, applebees, chili's, etc). I want new choices. I understand that Columbia lacks the numbers...it's not hard to see why we don't with the decisions of our local and state gov. I would love a great Thai place too but in Irmo would work nicer for me. When I go to a majority of the restaurants around and open the menu I swear I am no where different. With the exception of the more elite places downtown.

^ I try to practice that with many of my purchases including food - choosing local business.

I suppose I should visit the other thread about Columbia's best restaurants. Get that one started back up so we can spread the word on the non-chain options that we do have.

I guess since Columbia can't apparently support a P.F. Chang's {but Greenville can **not a diss **} I guess we should try to get a Pei Wei Asian Diner. I mean it's owned by P.F. Chang's and nothing is over $10...buying in to the fact that Columbian's are frugal fast food eaters. I mean if Little Rock, Ak and Amarillo, Tx can get one of these and Columbia can't...i say we give up hope on gettin other trendy chains and just be thankful we "lucked up" and got a Ruth Chris.

I really fail to see why having a particular chain restaurant is a status symbol. It is a little different with department stores and other things that have no locally-owned option any more, but it is different with restaurants. I've eaten at PF Changs and there's nothing wrong with them, but I like M Vista and M Cafe better, for instance.

Columbia is also unique in that you have two major retail districts with duplicate stores. I think this is unusual for a metro the size of Columbia. Big city chains may have a problem picking one over the other since there is not a clear concentration of wealthy people.

Columbia is also unique in that you have two major retail districts with duplicate stores. I think this is unusual for a metro the size of Columbia. Big city chains may have a problem picking one over the other since there is not a clear concentration of wealthy people.

Native, why not frequent locally-owned establishments instead of chains? Columbia has a wealth of wonderful locally-owned restaurants that, IMO, are better than chains anyway. This is additionally good because their rprofits stay here instead of being shuffled off to Buffalo or somewhere else out of state.

I guess since Columbia can't apparently support a P.F. Chang's {but Greenville can **not a diss **} I guess we should try to get a Pei Wei Asian Diner. I mean it's owned by P.F. Chang's and nothing is over $10...buying in to the fact that Columbian's are frugal fast food eaters. I mean if Little Rock, Ak and Amarillo, Tx can get one of these and Columbia can't...i say we give up hope on gettin other trendy chains and just be thankful we "lucked up" and got a Ruth Chris.

I think it could be possible that Columbia might be cannibalizing itself with multiple retail districts: Harbison, VAS, and Killian's Crossing--which will rival VAS in size--is underway. If the Richland Mall redevelopment ever gets underway, that will be another one.

As Columbia grows this will be a good thing. Everything will not be in one majorly conjested area (although Harbison is pretty bad sometimes). I know this isn't the thread for this but what is stopping Columbia from becoming a Charlotte?

Archived