Saw the ad

Tallahassee.S

So I was waiting outside Rovetta for my next class to begin and saw an ad for Urban Planet. I thought it was a little ironic for Tallahassee to have its own Urban forum, so I decided to join. I'm suprised to see such a big community here though. WoW!

Anyway, just to introduce myself, I'm a senior at Florida State. I did an internship up north for a large planning department. I always had an interest in urban issues, but that experience really set it on fire.

I'm currently a Finance/Real Estate double major with a minor in Economics. In the fall I hope to attend Columbia to earn a Masters' degree in Urban and Regional Planning. I would stay in Tallahassee and utilize instate tuition of Florida State's excellent URP program, but I can't stand this place anymore. Far too suburban for my liking. Almost rural IMHO. But I guess that's starting to change with Sonny Grangers' development and other downtown condos planned/under construction.

Anyway, not sure what else to say but...

Happy Thanksgiving!

:yahoo:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm afraid I've been guilty of not having seen the ad :( . Around campus, I usually don't deviate from my regular routes and destinations. I go to work, go to class, and that's it. The only time I go by Rovetta is to get a drink from the vending machines out front. And although I'm an urban planning student, I don't go up to the 3rd floor of Bellamy as much as I should...

I'm afraid I've been guilty of not having seen the ad :( . Around campus, I usually don't deviate from my regular routes and destinations. I go to work, go to class, and that's it. The only time I go by Rovetta is to get a drink from the vending machines out front. And although I'm an urban planning student, I don't go up to the 3rd floor of Bellamy as much as I should...

Trust me, as a planning student, there's not one on the 3'rd floor. Besides, most of the planners in the program want to get the heck out of Tally as soon as possible.

^ Can you blame em?

Invite them anyway... The result could be more interesting debates and discussions.

I would love to earn a MURP degree from Florida State but I cannot live here for another two years. However, I enjoy the discussions here at UrbanPlanet, and my comments provide yet another prespective on the City of Tallahassee.

It's all good :)

^ Can you blame em?

Well I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to imply... but if they're any good at planning... I'd say Tallahassee would be the perfect project to tackle... the problem with many people is wanting to have everything easy... Bring me to a city like Tallahassee, where potential is around every corner and I'd love to be a city planner....

Can I blame them... I don't know what their motiviations are, but I would say they are foolishly limiting themselves.

I agree with PSYCUDA and Tallahassee.S a few of my friends in the Urban Development major or screaming to get out of Tallahassee. Its not that they want the easy way out at all. Tallahassee is an isolated city, theres not a lot here. Thats why they want to get down to central florida, atlanta area...places that are booming. While the condo projects underway in Tally are a good start, its just not a lot to offer yet. When Tally gets bigger, with actual suburbs and all the other "big city things," people will be more apt to stay. Also, when its not just a capital, or college town. You have to go where the work/money is.

Archived