Restaurants/Stores Charlotte should have

Temeteron

I'm sure it would be successful in South Park, but to me it doesn't make sense for it to be there. Though it is fashion-forward, the clothes are generally very inexpensive. It would probably be the cheapest store in South Park. South End or Elizabeth would be a better fit for the store.

Well if you have ever heard of Americana Manhasset on Long Island, NY - which is very upscale - there is an H&M there, which just happens to be on the end with Crate and Barrel. Roosevelt Field Mall (another Simon mall) is upscale and also has H&M. It wouldn't be out of place at Southpark, and Simon would probably be able to lure them there. I still agree with you though - to see it in Elizabeth or Epicentre would be nice. However, it would be less of a risk to open a store near Southpark. I'm just not getting my hopes up, if it comes at all, to locate downtown or somewhere around it... but I will be glad if it does!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure it would be successful in South Park, but to me it doesn't make sense for it to be there. Though it is fashion-forward, the clothes are generally very inexpensive. It would probably be the cheapest store in South Park. South End or Elizabeth would be a better fit for the store.

SouthPark needs balance, and H&M would provide an opening price point. Besides, there's a good chance they would open multiple locations in the market, so South End or Elizabeth are still on the table.

SouthPark needs balance, and H&M would provide an opening price point. Besides, there's a good chance they would open multiple locations in the market, so South End or Elizabeth are still on the table.

Exactly

They are actually building one at Carolina Place - it's part of the new expansion going on there.

I'm really looking forward to REI

I think Elizabeth would be the perfect fit.....I do believe they are looking at being in an urban walking area as opposed to in the mall, but again, I was told that they don't yet have a preferred site.

Assuming they do choose Elizabeth - is anything even happening over there? Or would this be a catalyst to jump start some construction? I haven't heard much of anything going on - I thought the movie theater and Whole Foods would be underconstruction by now...

Assuming they do choose Elizabeth - is anything even happening over there? Or would this be a catalyst to jump start some construction? I haven't heard much of anything going on - I thought the movie theater and Whole Foods would be underconstruction by now...

These things take time. The review and permits process tends to take forever on urban retail projects.

• 1 month later...

This is good news and it seems logical to have NC be there next move after VA.

You are absolutely correct. That is logical. Unfortunately, that is not how Hennes & Mauritz does business. This is how they expanded in the U.S.: First, they chose a region (east coast, west coast, south, etc.) then they picked a market in that region (NYC, for example). Next, they expand outward in that market then open up in other markets within the region. It still seems logical that NC would be the next step after VA, right? Well, H&M doesn't consider VA to be a southern market. So, they're still "considering" opening a store in the south. It's not like they don't know we're here. H&M has been scouting the SE for at least 5 years now. They have yet to make a decision. If they do finally decide to open in the SE, I don't see Charlotte as first pick. Either S. FL, specifically Orlando, or TX. Maybe (BIG maybe) Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

Piccadilly Cafeteria...just kidding

How about IKEA, In-N-Out, Cook Out

and for grocery stores...Publix, Kroger (please come back), SuperTarget (other than S. Tryon St.)

someone get rid of the following - FYE, Boredom's (Borders) way overpriced!, Showmars, Quiznos

Charlotte already has at least two Cook Outs.

I would love to see more grocery store competition for Harris Teeter, also.

Do you find that Borders is more expensive that Barnes and Noble? Actually, don't all new book stores just charge the price pre-set by the publisher? I tend to buy at used bookstores if I can, but I think Borders is a nice store.

Do you find that Borders is more expensive that Barnes and Noble? Actually, don't all new book stores just charge the price pre-set by the publisher? I tend to buy at used bookstores if I can, but I think Borders is a nice store.
Borders and Barnes & Noble tend to be identically priced. Borders tends to be more generous with discounts when they do have a sale, but it all boils down to which atmosphere you like better because that is the only discernable difference I've found.

Borders and Barnes & Noble tend to be identically priced. Borders tends to be more generous with discounts when they do have a sale, but it all boils down to which atmosphere you like better because that is the only discernable difference I've found.

Barnes and Noble seems to have a more upscale feel to it when you enter. The ceilings are usually higher compared to Border's where they are low and make you feel like you are in a casual store. Border's is more lenient as you said with sales but they are both high.

Archived