Connecticut Hall of Fame

Germaine

i wouldn't call him a native, i'd just say he was born there... he grew up elsewhere.

Poppy and Prescott did spend a lot of time in the state though.

I hope they'd include America's greatest revolutionary war general (while he was still on our side), Benedict Arnold, born and raised in Norwich.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I've thought for a long time that Connecticut's contributions to the country and to the world go mostly unnoticed. This is tragic since Connecticut has contributed so many interesting and critical people to advancement and entertainment of the world. In fact, I can't tell you all how much it bugs me that Hartford's own Frederick Law Olmsted - the Father of Landscape Architecture - is honored by a National Historic Site...in Massachusetts!!!!!!!!

I think the next big project for Hartford should be a Connecticut Hall of Fame. Imagine exhibits highlighting and educating the world about Connecticut's greatest residents and achievements. It would focus on those born here, those raised here, or those who were born elsewhere but have chosen to make their homes here.

In addition to Olmsted, some of the other natives would include:

Harriet Beecher Stowe,

Samuel Colt,

JP Morgan,

Noah Webster,

P.T. Barnum,

John Brown,

Ethan Allan,

Benjamin Spock,

Charles Goodyear,

Katherine Hepburn,

Carly Simon,

Glenn Close, etc...

Or those who chose to make Connecticut their homes:

Mark Twain,

Paul Newman,

Martha Stewart,

David Letterman,

Henry Kissinger, etc...

Imagine, the museum could also be showcase for Connecticut "Firsts" and "Inventions".

I imagine it would appeal to people from the around the world - many of whom would be surprised to learn that so many and so much has come from so small a place.

Just a thought; just a vision...

What do you think?

You did forget a few...

Ella T. Grasso (the first women GOVERNOR elected in her own right and the wife of my school's principal)

William F. Buckley

Joe Quenneville

Ivan Lendl

JimS

Ron Francis

Kevin Dineen

Yes... Kevin played hockey at GHS (Glastonbury High) for one year when his dad coached the Whale! (I did check him in a game!)

Jim

there's actually a lot of famous people living in CT or that have lived in CT. remember oksana baiul, the figure skater? she used to live there (and has a drunk driving charge). mike tyson recently sold his home there. martha stewart lives in westport or greenwich i believe. i think jay leno lives in greenwich. meatloaf, last i knew lived somewhere in ffld county. and who can forget new haven's own michael bolton? :P

there's a lot more that i'm either forgetting or just leaving out for no apparent reason...

oh yeah, supposedly renee zellweger has a home in eastern CT.

Carol Spivey (aka: BIG BIRD) lives in Woodstock! Met him in Woodstock -- nice guy!

OK, Back to the topic. Let's not forget about Marcus Camby of the Denver Nuggets who graduated from my HS, Hartford Public. Eric LaSalle of ER fame who graduated from Weaver High School in Hartford, Rick Mahorne (used to date my aunt in college at Hampton University) formerly of the Detroit Pistons another Hartford native. Dwight Freeney of the Indianapolis Colts who graduated from Bloomfield High. Even the twins Brian and Brandon from R&B group Jagged Edge, if you guys know who that is, are from Hartford. My parents are good friends with theirs.

Former Virginia governor Mark Warner is from Rockville as is Romo (Brian Romankowski). How about Frederick Rentschler! The Pitkins...and Cheney family (yes Dick Cheney is related to the silk makers).

While we are at it, Bill Romanowski went to Rockville High, later had a long NFL career. Tebucky Jones went to New Britian high, now playing for the Patriots again, Steve Young went to Greenwich High, now in the hall of fame. Vin Baker was from Old Saybrook. For all you NHL fans, Chris Drury was from Trumbull and is still a good player in the league. Drury I believe was the winning pitcher on the 1989 Trumbull World series little league team.

Also,

Vince McMahon- Greenwich

Mel Gibson- Greenwich

Donald Trump- Has or had a house in Greenwich

Montel Williams- Greenwich

Regis- Greenwich

Judge Judy- Greenwich

I know there a ton more with ties to Fairfield county.

Drury was the winning pitcher! I still got the SI issue of them winning it! :)

Archived