Augusta...Downtown, Medical District, Old Towne

socaguy

• 2 months later...

There looks to be several new cafes/clubs that have opened on Broad street since i last got down there several months back. I think one of them was called Fierce. Anyone know what this is? I drove by too fast to notice but it sounds/looks like a club.

The one thing I did notice that i didnt care for is that alot of these new businesses on Broad street have very unprofessional looking signage. One business, in particular, is The bees knees. Ive heard it is an artsy little cafe and it is owned by a student who graduated with me at ASU in the Fine Arts Department...but that sign on his restaurant looks like a little kid drew it. There are several other examples of this in DT Augusta, which IMO takes away from the beauty and character of the old buildings. So if you decide to put up a new business on Broad street...puleeez spend a little money on a nice looking sign!

There looks to be several new cafes/clubs that have opened on Broad street since i last got down there several months back. I think one of them was called Fierce. Anyone know what this is? I drove by too fast to notice but it sounds/looks like a club.

The one thing I did notice that i didnt care for is that alot of these new businesses on Broad street have very unprofessional looking signage. One business, in particular, is The bees knees. Ive heard it is an artsy little cafe and it is owned by a student who graduated with me at ASU in the Fine Arts Department...but that sign on his restaurant looks like a little kid drew it. There are several other examples of this in DT Augusta, which IMO takes away from the beauty and character of the old buildings. So if you decide to put up a new business on Broad street...puleeez spend a little money on a nice looking sign!

I agree. Business owners should make sure that they try to help Downtown look as nice as possible.

On a similar note, homeowners of abandoned houses in the downtown area should be doing the same thing. Fortunately there is something in place that will help make sure that people take care of their property even if no one is living there. It's called the "Mothball Ordinance" and it's on the agenda for the Planning and Zoning Comittee. Here is the full story.

Full Story

Edited by PJA

I think the article was saying the new library would be twice the size of Columbia countys' new library...which is bigger than the old one in DT Augusta, at 50,000 sq. ft. So if they get the bill drawn up and passed and recieve the funding they need, this building could be at 100,000 sq. ft....not bad!!

I was kind of hoping for a Modern design, but the article says it will have an older look....oh well, better than the one there now!!

This is that rehab hospital I was talking about going up on Walton Way with the Firehouse subs going up next to it. There was an article about it a few months ago in the AC that said it would be a 3 story building...I guess they scaled back...too bad! The rendering makes it look like its in the middle of a forest when in fact its in one of Augustas busiest commercial strips near the Medical District.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the master plan for the Augusta Canal development. Plans include Augusta Canal biketrails, a heritage square park near the new judicial center, reuse of historic mill buildings, recreation amenities including a gym, James Brown Experience Museum, neighborhood retail mixed with housing, and greenspace and streetscape expansion.

Joan Kroc, Ray Kroc's (founder of McDonald's) daughter has agreed to donate 71 million dollars for a new community center downtown. This project will be headed up by the Salvation Army and other nonprofit organizations. The Augusta Kroc Center will be the model for other Kroc centers across the nation.

PJA, I was in Augusta today and drove around the Harrisburg neighborhood, where the new Kroc center will be. Do you know what street they are putting this on? This slowly gentrifying neighborhood has loads of potential. I also talked to a business owner on Walton Way and, besides the new rehab hospital going up down the street, he said there are several other projects coming to that stretch (mostly MCG or medical related.) He said property value is skyrocketing in that part of town...finally.

PJA, I was in Augusta today and drove around the Harrisburg neighborhood, where the new Kroc center will be. Do you know what street they are putting this on? This slowly gentrifying neighborhood has loads of potential. I also talked to a business owner on Walton Way and, besides the new rehab hospital going up down the street, he said there are several other projects coming to that stretch (mostly MCG or medical related.) He said property value is skyrocketing in that part of town...finally.

I'm not sure what street it will be on. As soon as I find out I'll let you know. I know it will be in the Chafee Park area of the Harrisburg community. This will definitely help downtown Augusta a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on the Augusta Canal Project. As of right now plans include the Judicial Center, Heritage square park, bike trails and walking trails, a manicured parking garage for the Judicial Center, James Brown Experience Museum, and neighborhood retail mixed with housing plus more. Here's a more detailed explanation.

Canal Plans