Augusta...Downtown, Medical District, Old Towne

socaguy

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is kind of funny article about the new Blue Horse music venue opening up in the old Federal Building at Broad and 8th Street. It seems that Peter Knox, the former owner of DTIMM'S had a blue horse on his balcony and thought that it was copyright infringement for the new club to call itself the Blue Horse. Anyway, here is the article in the Augusta Chronicle

Tony Wilson, the guy whose band backed James Brown at the festival, has come up with a plan to create a billboard on the expressway that would invite people to come downtown and have take a picture with the James Brown statue. I think it's a good idea that would drive more travelers downtown, espcially those that just drive through Augusta without ever getting off of I-20.

From some of the rumors I've heard off of one of the local Augusta news channels. There already seems to be some talk about Downtown getting ready to "boom" again (as in how it was before the 1980's). The Development Authority apparently has been getting some calls from people who want to see about relocating, or opening up businesses in Downtown, with the sparking of the New Watermark Condos. Any thoughts or comments on this?

From some of the rumors I've heard off of one of the local Augusta news channels. There already seems to be some talk about Downtown getting ready to "boom" again (as in how it was before the 1980's). The Development Authority apparently has been getting some calls from people who want to see about relocating, or opening up businesses in Downtown, with the sparking of the New Watermark Condos. Any thoughts or comments on this?

I would love to see it happen. What I would really see happen (and I don't mean to be harsh) is to see the lower end of Broad Street bulldozed and/or renovated, and the strip clubs and pawn shops forced to leave. That area of Broad is scary between Old Town and 7th Street. As far as I'm concerned, the only redeeming quality of that end of Broad Street is Luigi's and since he's currently thinking of moving to Evans, I say it's a done deal. If these condos on the river work out, maybe businesses (and maybe even more condos) will move in over on Broad Street. Just a bit of wishful thinking.

^ well sort of, the Chronicle did a story recently and he mentioned how tired he was of operating downtown. Then he said that he and his family had thought about moving the business to Evans. But his restaurant is still open and there is still a good crowd down there I believe. Hopefully it continues because I think he's had enough of our inept government.

Edited to include link to the story: Luigi's

Edited by Pillsbury

I dont blame him for being tired of the politics in Augusta-Richmond County. I would rather see him move (If he absolutely has to) to North Augusta, perhaps even Aiken over Evans.

I see your point but people have got to realize that there are going to be problems everywhere. Besides things are really looking up for downtown. Now would not be the right time to leave.

^ I agree, all of these people are so convinced that if they just move their store to Evans they'll suddenly have people lined up at their doors. A lot of times, however, even with a place like Luigi's that's known by pretty much everyone in town, is that they'll move to the Evans, own the Italian food market for a little while, but then in a couple of years when Macaroni or Carrabas opens up people out there will forget that Luigi's ever existed. Mr. Ballas has a strong customer base down here and he needs to stay down here.

Who knows, maybe he was just trying to get the attention of the morons who run this city.

Another thing is I think that locally owned restuarants have a better chance downtown. like you said if a Macaroni Grill or another "chain" italian restaurant opens close to Luigi's in Evans, it will decrease business. As of right now there aren't that many chain restaurants close to downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...